Author Topic: 9MM SUBCOMPACTS: SINGLE VS. DOUBLE STACK  (Read 2716 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
9MM SUBCOMPACTS: SINGLE VS. DOUBLE STACK
« on: July 17, 2018, 01:00:10 am »
Primary Arms

The great debates of the firearms community; AR-15 vs. AK-47, Striker-Fired vs. Hammer, Magazine vs. Clip and now Single Stack vs. Double Stack for concealed carry.

The past several years have seen an explosion in slim, subcompact handguns using a single stack magazine. As concealed carry for personal defense grows in popularity in the United States each year, there has been a movement towards smaller, lighter, and more concealable guns. Handgun size options have expanded from full size, to compact, to subcompact and even micro.

In the subcompact classification, guns like the Glock 26 were shortened versions of full size guns with a considerably shorter grip. However, they retain the double stack magazines which add to the width of the gun. Shooters wanted smaller guns and the industry has responded with a series of new designs like Smith & Wesson’s Shield series, Springfield Armory’s XDs series, and the Glock 43 which all use single stack magazines to achieve their smaller size. While these guns provide superior concealability, that comes at a cost of reduced capacity and potentially accuracy.

The self-defense community has become increasingly polarized as to which of the designs is best. One camp favors concealability and the other capacity. So which type should you get? Unless you already fall into one of those camps, what you choose will depend on what works best for you.

More: http://news.primaryarms.com/q/gbagEAOJWxJiPD0znWbu3BmliCse44EBnhaPO-IuZ-Ggc-hQCU57HK93b

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Re: 9MM SUBCOMPACTS: SINGLE VS. DOUBLE STACK
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 08:04:16 pm »
I'm in the double stack sub compact group.

I've got the P365.  Thinner than a G43 with up to 13 rounds.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Meldrew

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 08:48:40 pm »
I don't see them as mutually exclusive.  Why not one of each?

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 09:22:54 pm »

I'm leaning toward that myself.   Currently carry a single stack Xds but really want a P365.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 04:19:25 am »
Single stack .45 for me.   Fights over quickly.  Prefer a single stack for concealed carry because it hits far better and is light enough to forget it's there.    XDs mod2 .45
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 04:49:22 pm »
single stack,double action only,loaded with ball ammo if in .380 caliber.  You never need a weapon like this until you desperately need it,so keep it simple and don't have things like safeties or double stack magazines to make it slower to use and harder to conceal. If you can't do with with the 6 or more rounds available in a single stack magazine,you ain't going to be able to do it with 14 rounds.

I personally carry a 5 shot 44 Special revolver with double action only,no hammer spur or rear sight that is loaded with 200 grain hollowpoints. By the time I run out of ammo there won't be a problem,or there will be at least one loaded gun laying around with nobody using it.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 04:52:05 pm »
Single stack .45 for me.   Fights over quickly.  Prefer a single stack for concealed carry because it hits far better and is light enough to forget it's there.    XDs mod2 .45

@NavyCanDo

You just can't go wrong with a 1911A1. I have several,and my all-steel Combat Commander that I modified was my favorite carry gun before I bought the 44 Special. The only real advantages of the 44 Revolver is it is smaller,lighter, and easier to conceal than the 1911.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 03:53:07 am »
@NavyCanDo

You just can't go wrong with a 1911A1. I have several,and my all-steel Combat Commander that I modified was my favorite carry gun before I bought the 44 Special. The only real advantages of the 44 Revolver is it is smaller,lighter, and easier to conceal than the 1911.

For a bedside firearm, I agree, but I like nobody to know there is a .45 below my shirt, and I like to cary and forget and the 1 inch wide XDs fits my needs perfectly.    My bedside is a XDm. .45.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline verga

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 03:33:54 pm »
For me it depends on 1) What I am wearing.
2) Where am I going.
If I am fully dressed and going to out for more than several hours, double stack.
On the other hand, shorts and a T-shirt on a bike ride or run, single stack.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline AmericanaPrime

• Americana Prime
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 03:42:47 pm »
Single. Every millimeter of thickness i can shave off the better.

Seems like a good time to plug my youtube channel, and my review on the SW Shield 2.0.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 03:46:18 pm by AmericanaPrime »
Visit my website @ AmericanaPrime.com!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 04:41:41 pm »

I agree.  I have single and double stack pistols. Each have their own advantages and disadvantages.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 05:37:23 pm »
Single stack. If you need more than 5 or 6 shots you should have saved one for yourself.

Besides,if your attacker is close enough to be a threat to you,he is close enough to put one through a eye socket. Even a 115gr 9mm will instantly pull the plug on your attacker if you put the bullet in the brain pan.

Any more than 5 or 6 rounds is just dead weight to carry unless you are fighting an actual battle,and then you should be carrying a battle rifle.