Author Topic: Rosenstein Confirms DNC Server Was Not Hacked – Emails Were Obtained Through “Spear Phishing” Scam  (Read 2017 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
...“The defendants used two techniques to steal information. First they used a scheme known as spear phishing, which involves sending misleading emails and tricking the users of disclosing their passwords and security information,” Rosenstein said.

“Secondly, the defendants hacked into computer networks and installed malicious software and allowed them to spy on users,” Rosenstein continued.

The computer networks Rosenstein was referring to was a Congressional campaign, not the DNC server.

“They also hacked into the networks of a Congressional campaign and a national political committee,” Rosenstein continued.

No wonder why they shut down the Imran Awan case last week…just in time to blame the Russians...

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/07/rosenstein-confirms-dnc-server-was-not-actually-hacked-emails-were-obtained-through-spear-phishing-scam/
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 09:18:56 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline skeeter

But 'the Russians hacked the election' is so much easier for the leftist rank & file to wrap their brainstems around.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@Free Vulcan

Your link leads to another quite interesting article.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
The Republic is lost.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Rosenstein must put great stock in the findings of the hand-picked firm that did get to see the DNC servers in order to make the indictments (which are for show) .
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Rosenstein must put great stock in the findings of the hand-picked firm that did get to see the DNC servers in order to make the indictments (which are for show) .

@austingirl

You mean he isn't going to be prosecuting those Russians in the Moscow district court? 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
@austingirl

You mean he isn't going to be prosecuting those Russians in the Moscow district court?

Nope. I wonder if the DNC's hand-picked private firm mentioned anything about someone taking off data on a thumbdrive. :whistle:
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Nope. I wonder if the DNC's hand-picked private firm mentioned anything about someone taking off data on a thumbdrive. :whistle:

Are you kidding?

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: THE GATEWAY PUNDIT

URL: https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2018/07/rosenstein-confirms-dnc-server-was-not-actually-hacked-emails-were-obtained-through-spear-phishing-scam/

by Cristina Laila

Another junk indictment?

This comes a day before President Trump is to meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein confirmed that the DNC server was never actually hacked.

Rather, the emails were obtained through a “spear phishing” email scam which THOUSANDS of others, including Republicans fell for.

Paul Sperry
@paulsperry_
 BREAKING: DNC server was never actually "hacked"

12:25 PM - Jul 13, 2018

Paul Sperry
@paulsperry_
 BREAKING: Rosenstein just confirmed emails obtained through “spearfishing” email scam, which thousands of people including Republicans fell for. No wonder the DNC server was never examined by FBI. It was never actually hacked. This was a monumental lie by the Clinton campaign

12:29 PM - Jul 13, 2018

“The defendants used two techniques to steal information. First they used a scheme known as spear phishing, which involves sending misleading emails and tricking the users of disclosing their passwords and security information,” Rosenstein said.

“Secondly, the defendants hacked into computer networks and installed malicious software and allowed them to spy on users,” Rosenstein continued.

The computer networks Rosenstein was referring to was a Congressional campaign, not the DNC server.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Wonder where Wasserman Schultz's Pakistani IT team factored in in all that, or have they even been given credit fro breaching Dems Congressional computers?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Wonder where Wasserman Schultz's Pakistani IT team factored in in all that, or have they even been given credit fro breaching Dems Congressional computers?

@Smokin Joe

They were given a get out of jail free card last week by the DOJ when they agreed to a deal with Imran Awan that allowed him to cop to a bank fraud charge!  The coverup is complete!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
The Republic is lost.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Jim Hoft is once again wrong.

Spear Phishing is a type of hack. Hacking is not all some kid on a laptop typing really fast to get past firewalls like you see in the movies or just DDOS attacks. Phishing is a type of hacking known as social engineering, which involves human manipulation to get access to servers or information. If the emails were obtained through a Phishing campaign, they were hacked.

https://fossbytes.com/hacking-techniques/

At that, many of the common hacks you think about, like keyloggers, start out as a phishing hack. Phishing opens a door in which additional software (malware) can be added or data extracted.

Offline kidd

...“The defendants used two techniques to steal information. First they used a scheme known as spear phishing, which involves sending misleading emails and tricking the users of disclosing their passwords and security information,” Rosenstein said.

In other words, democrats are ignorant of security threats that the rest of the world are well aware of. Or are just plain stupid. And DNC IT personnel are criminally incompetent or deliberately allowed this to happen.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
In other words, democrats are ignorant of security threats that the rest of the world are well aware of. Or are just plain stupid. And DNC IT personnel are criminally incompetent or deliberately allowed this to happen.
Wasserman Schultz had that bunch of Pakistanis in there doing IT for a swarm of Dem congresspeople--with full access to their stuff. It was something like 40 or 50 of them, iirc. Little doubt being able to walk in that many front doors opened up a slew of others.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Jim Hoft is once again wrong.

Spear Phishing is a type of hack. Hacking is not all some kid on a laptop typing really fast to get past firewalls like you see in the movies or just DDOS attacks. Phishing is a type of hacking known as social engineering, which involves human manipulation to get access to servers or information. If the emails were obtained through a Phishing campaign, they were hacked.

https://fossbytes.com/hacking-techniques/

At that, many of the common hacks you think about, like keyloggers, start out as a phishing hack. Phishing opens a door in which additional software (malware) can be added or data extracted.

Agreed. 

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I have always wondered who were the people that were stupid enough to fall for phishing scams.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I have always wondered who were the people that were stupid enough to fall for phishing scams.

You would not believe the numbers, even among IT and security professionals.

Some people in my family I have to answer the 'do you think this is real' question on a daily basis.

My response is: "Is it on the internet? Then no, it is not real".

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You would not believe the numbers, even among IT and security professionals.

Some people in my family I have to answer the 'do you think this is real' question on a daily basis.

My response is: "Is it on the internet? Then no, it is not real".

My philosophy has always been if I don't expect it or recognize, then it doesn't get clicked.

My wife....a whole another matter 9999hair out0000
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races

Some of them are quite sophisticated. Sometimes the email appears to come from an internal email address or from that of a customer or vendor. I got one while working for a manufacturing company that appeared to be from our CFO, they spoofed  his email address, complete with his email signature line, requesting that I send an urgent wire transfer, the details of which were in an attached Word doc. likely with a executable macro containing the malware or keylogger.

Of course I opened nothing, clicked on nothing and reported it to IT. What tipped me off was that I was in Payroll and wouldn't be the person to initiate a wire transfer. I would also get emails that appeared to be from ADP requesting my urgent attention to some past due invoices, but were executable files. Again, I knew enough not to open but a gal in our AP department got one and did. Fortunately she called me about the alleged past due invoices and I alerted IT.

It happens a lot more than people think and again, it's not like the old days when these emails were in broken English or obviously scams.

The hackers targeting companies and organizations need only get a directory of employees, their job titles, company logo, often all available via the org's website to come up with a convincing looking email.

So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Some of them are quite sophisticated. Sometimes the email appears to come from an internal email address or from that of a customer or vendor. I got one while working for a manufacturing company that appeared to be from our CFO, they spoofed  his email address, complete with his email signature line, requesting that I send an urgent wire transfer, the details of which were in an attached Word doc. likely with a executable macro containing the malware or keylogger.

Of course I opened nothing, clicked on nothing and reported it to IT. What tipped me off was that I was in Payroll and wouldn't be the person to initiate a wire transfer. I would also get emails that appeared to be from ADP requesting my urgent attention to some past due invoices, but were executable files. Again, I knew enough not to open but a gal in our AP department got one and did. Fortunately she called me about the alleged past due invoices and I alerted IT.

It happens a lot more than people think and again, it's not like the old days when these emails were in broken English or obviously scams.

The hackers targeting companies and organizations need only get a directory of employees, their job titles, company logo, often all available via the org's website to come up with a convincing looking email.

Before I click on anything remotely suspect I confirm directly that it was sent by who it says it was.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online dfwgator

Democrats, obviously.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Where the hell is the server?

Offline Frank Cannon

Spear Phishing is a type of hack.

Bullshit. It's voluntarily handing out information to people. You are trying to argue that people in this day and age are oblivious to dangerous emails. That is absurd. It is also absurd that an organization the size of the Rats didn't have protection against this.