Author Topic: AR15 Clone Used to Rescue Treed Teen Girl from Big Alligator  (Read 1860 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Gunwatch

July 13, 2018

On Friday afternoon, 29 June, 2018, a 15 year old girl, Jordan Broderick, was floating on a raft in Freek creek in the Ocala National Forest. That section of the creek is in Lake County Florida.

Alligators chased her up a tree. Her mother called 911 and reported that alligators had treed her daughter, and were aggressive. From foxnews.com:

"My daughter's stuck in a frickin' tree and there's gators surrounding her!" Broderick's mother reportedly told a 911 dispatcher. "Oh my God! Please hurry! Please hurry!"

Deputy Mitch Blackmon responded to the scene, where he found the teen — who had been swimming in a creek in Ocala National Forest — yelling that she was tired from hanging onto a tree branch for so long.

Blackmon wrote in his report that his "presence failed to scare the alligator away, and it began encroaching on my area at which time I fired one single 223 round from my Bushmaster AR15 killing the alligator."

The AR15 style rifle was wielded by a competent deputy who went into harms way to rescue the teenage girl.

Many of those who want a disarmed population claim there is no useful purpose for AR15 style rifles. This incident shows that claim is foolish. Modern Sporting Rifles, or Sport Utility Rifles, or the vague, derogatory, and inaccurate term "assault weapons" are all used to describe these versatile semi-automatic rifles.

They are designed to be easy to use, accurate, and adequately powerful, without excessive recoil. They work equally well for deputies, police, or armed citizens. The rifle offers more accuracy, range, and magazine capacity than the commonly available shotgun, with less recoil. From  orlandosentinal.com:

With a single shot from his AR-15 rifle, a Lake County deputy sheriff quickly put an end to a large alligator that had a teenage girl trapped in a tree for nearly an hour, authorities said Monday.

More: http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2018/07/ar15-clone-used-to-rescue-treed-teen.html

Offline mountaineer

Re: AR15 Clone Used to Rescue Treed Teen Girl from Big Alligator
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 11:47:03 pm »
When a gator is killed, does anyone think to rush his hide to someone who can turn it into boots, shoes or purses?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 12:25:26 am »
For some reason, I don't think that's the actual gator.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:32:12 am »
For some reason, I don't think that's the actual gator.

The alligator sank into the water and did not reappear, the report said. A Lake County marine biologist confirmed the alligator had died, according to authorities.