Author Topic: What Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spate Can Teach Us About Mental Health  (Read 1167 times)

rangerrebew

What Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spate Can Teach Us About Mental Health

Wealthy, accomplished people aren't immune from depression and suicide.
By Ruben Castaneda, Staff Writer July 12, 2018, at 10:32 a.m.

U.S. News & World Report

The deaths of Bourdain and Spade illustrate how attaining tremendous professional success doesn't shield someone from depression and suicide, experts say.The Associated Press

The recent back-to-back suicides of celebrity chef-CNN personality-bestselling author Anthony Bourdain and prominent fashion designer and businesswoman Kate Spade shocked millions of fans, and for many, raised a question: Why would someone who's attained enormous professional and financial success and seemingly physically healthy kill himself or herself?

Spade, 55, killed herself on June 5 in her home in New York City. Bourdain, 61, took his life on June 8 in a hotel room in France. In a grim coincidence, Bourdain and Spade committed suicide the same week the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released statistics showing suicide rates are rising across the United States. In 2016, nearly 45,000 people in the U.S. died by suicide. Between 1999 and 2016, suicide rates rose in nearly every state, CDC figures show.

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/mind/articles/2018-07-12/what-anthony-bourdain-and-kate-spate-can-teach-us-about-mental-health

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
"Depression is a brain disorder" said "Dr $.

Not without lab reports, it ain't.

Bullshit article.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Online rustynail

Selfish people do selfish things.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Depression is hell.

I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Something makes your brain want to do it. Lack of serotonin - something.

I think those people who’ve never been through the dark night of the soul shouldn’t judge. It’s the most horrible thing you can experience.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

Selfish people do selfish things.

Yeah, like trying to run others' lives.  Some will even tell a person in pain and anguish that that person in agony must keep feeling that awful, just to save the feelings of others.  "Keep sticking that sharp stick into your eye; it woukd upset me if you stopped."  "You have to stay in pain and not kill yourself because I'd rather you hurt than me."

I know it sounds cruel, sick, and absurd, but some people are just that inhumane and selfish!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

"Depression is a brain disorder" said "Dr $.

Not without lab reports, it ain't.

Bullshit article.

So headaches aren't real because they can't be picked up on lab reports?

So thirst isn't real because it doesn't show on lab reports until dehydration?

Mental retardation, autism, etc., are all fake, too?

Ionizing radiation was real even before we had an instrument to measure it.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank Cannon

In 2016, nearly 45,000 people in the U.S. died by suicide.

Who the hell cares. This is such an extremely small percentage of the US population.

• Wulf Anson Author
So headaches aren't real because they can't be picked up on lab reports?

So thirst isn't real because it doesn't show on lab reports until dehydration?

Mental retardation, autism, etc., are all fake, too?

Ionizing radiation was real even before we had an instrument to measure it.

Are you ever going to stop equating the human condition - thoughts and moods - with real physical issues?

According to your examples/non-critical thinkings, Every character in Shakespear's works was in need of mental health quackery.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

• Wulf Anson Author
In 2016, nearly 45,000 people in the U.S. died by suicide.

Who the hell cares. This is such an extremely small percentage of the US population.

People have been committing suicide for 45,000 years.

According to the Shrinks Suicide is the ultimate expression, the end point along the continuum of of 'Depression'

These are the same clowns who've rallied around both the brain chemical imbalance and genetics causation theories.

Brain chemicals have been known to have Never been any more than a theory for over 3 decades now.

Genetics being responsible for behaviors? How far back do we need to go tracing Eugenics?

If depression/suicide were genetic, the genes responsible would have suicided themselves out of the species a very long time ago.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 06:04:49 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Offline Suppressed

Re: What Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spate Can Teach Us About Mental Health
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 09:07:18 pm »
@To-Whose-Benefit?
According to the Shrinks Suicide is the ultimate expression, the end point along the continuum of of 'Depression'

Absolutely, positively not.  I don't know what shrinks you've been talking to, but they are FAR outside the mainstream if they say that.  That's like the sorority girl crying out "I'm SOO drunk..."   Yes, honey, you are...but the end point is you being passed out on the floor.

Depression is not some mood or something.  It's an action-blocker, inhibiting suicide at the same time someone who's depressed is suicidal.  That's one of the problems....as you lift someone away from deep suicide, you're also releasing that inhibition as the person gains agency.  Thus, you'll find that people getting treatment out of deep suicide may then be able to act upon suicidal urges.

These are the same clowns who've rallied around both the brain chemical imbalance and genetics causation theories.

Clowns who have studies, empirical evidence, mathematics, and saved lives on their side.  I'd say that trumps your Proof by Assertion.

Brain chemicals have been known to have Never been any more than a theory for over 3 decades now.

And Einstein's theory of general relativity is merely a theory for far longer, but I think it's still looking good.

Genetics being responsible for behaviors? How far back do we need to go tracing Eugenics?

Twin studies along with co-habitation studies have shown again and again and again that there are behavioral similarities from genetics. 

That doesn't mean we need to pursue eugenics any more than we should for physical traits.  However, there may be those who choose not to chance passing on known genetic markers, such as those for certain physical diseases.

If depression/suicide were genetic, the genes responsible would have suicided themselves out of the species a very long time ago.

This is demonstrating a misunderstanding of genetics.  If it were correct, then Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy would have killed itself off, as its sufferers rarely can have offspring.  With suicide, many people who commit suicide have already had offspring. 

Also, a genetic predisposition for behavior doesn't always mean one must act upon it.  In some cases, behavioral tendencies can be overcome.  I admit others cannot.
+++++++++

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 09:09:54 pm »
Depression is hell.

I wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Something makes your brain want to do it. Lack of serotonin - something.

I think those people who’ve never been through the dark night of the soul shouldn’t judge. It’s the most horrible thing you can experience.

Thanks for the ping, @Freya

It can be a number of different factors that could lead to suicide, and yes, depression is a biggie (which is often serotonin problems, but can be an issue with other neurotransmitters or factors).  People think that depression is just intense sadness, but it's more than that.  It's qualitatively different.
+++++++++

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 09:27:11 pm »
Science (yes, medicine is science)has come a long way regarding depression is just a few decades.

My sister, now 59, has been treated for unipolar depression (down,, not up and down) for over 40 years.

She never drank or used drugs. She recalls how in the beginning, the psychologists tried to to blame it on our father. He was made to feel guilty for her brain condition.

Years later, it was learned the condition was hereditary. In his family.

Not saying it is hereditary for anybody else.

The idea that a mental health issue, is a sign of weakness, bad behavior, lack of control is very outdated, and I believe factually incorrect.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 09:27:59 pm »
@Suppressed

You can howl till you're blue in the face but it won't cancel the fact that you have Yet to come up with proof/large scale studies, unlike all of those I have linked to in the past here.

There's your mental health Sigh-ence.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2018, 09:35:36 pm »
@Suppressed

You can howl till you're blue in the face but it won't cancel the fact that you have Yet to come up with proof/large scale studies, unlike all of those I have linked to in the past here.

Recall that I shredded those "studies" you posted in the past.

How about 41,000 patients?
https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/ketamine-appears-to-help-depression-in-largescale-study
+++++++++

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 09:52:30 pm »
Recall that I shredded those "studies" you posted in the past.

How about 41,000 patients?
https://www.uspharmacist.com/article/ketamine-appears-to-help-depression-in-largescale-study

From your article;

"Aside from the lag in antidepressant effects, there is insufficient evidence that antidepressants prevent suicide during long-term treatment7, and in many cases the antidepressant increases the risk of suicidal thoughts and actions"

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 10:35:07 pm »
Yeah, like trying to run others' lives.  Some will even tell a person in pain and anguish that that person in agony must keep feeling that awful, just to save the feelings of others.  "Keep sticking that sharp stick into your eye; it woukd upset me if you stopped."  "You have to stay in pain and not kill yourself because I'd rather you hurt than me."

I know it sounds cruel, sick, and absurd, but some people are just that inhumane and selfish!

Bullshit. Such thinking is mired in self-confirming hopelessness. It nearly must be effected by outside thinking to break the chain of thought. What is cruel and sick and absurd is to let someone in the throes of damaging depression alone in their thoughts.

Not terribly long ago, I had the occasion to contemplate the taste of the muzzle of my gun. Stuck in a wheelchair for years, in terrific pain every moment, bereft even of sweet sleep, logic dictated an ignoble end. Everything worth anything was long gone, and all that was left was pain.

Had I succumbed to what seemed the logical end, I would have missed the miracle of my recovery... I would have missed every step, each and every one a miracle and a joy. I'd have missed all that falling down and getting back up, every time a confirmation of a miracle that doctors cannot detect.

I'd have missed the birth of my last grandson, and every grandchild yet to come. I'd have missed nearly a decade of 4th of July celebrations with my family, the latest one, a huge gathering, the wedding of my younger son, where I stood up in front of God and everyone, and gave my son and his darling bride a blessing, standing upon my own two feet.

I will be ever grateful to those few who DID intercede. Those who worked to change my every-day depression into another every-day norm. Looking back on it from today, I would go through every bit of it again anytime, because victory over death and destruction is so very much better than succumbing thereto. Hope must needs, spring eternal. That is the lesson. My whole world changed in half a day. Inexplicably, and without a reason.

Leave room for God, because that is the moment when you know he is there. And that is priceless... worth surpassing all.

Offline berdie

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 01:06:51 am »
Bullshit. Such thinking is mired in self-confirming hopelessness. It nearly must be effected by outside thinking to break the chain of thought. What is cruel and sick and absurd is to let someone in the throes of damaging depression alone in their thoughts.

Not terribly long ago, I had the occasion to contemplate the taste of the muzzle of my gun. Stuck in a wheelchair for years, in terrific pain every moment, bereft even of sweet sleep, logic dictated an ignoble end. Everything worth anything was long gone, and all that was left was pain.

Had I succumbed to what seemed the logical end, I would have missed the miracle of my recovery... I would have missed every step, each and every one a miracle and a joy. I'd have missed all that falling down and getting back up, every time a confirmation of a miracle that doctors cannot detect.

I'd have missed the birth of my last grandson, and every grandchild yet to come. I'd have missed nearly a decade of 4th of July celebrations with my family, the latest one, a huge gathering, the wedding of my younger son, where I stood up in front of God and everyone, and gave my son and his darling bride a blessing, standing upon my own two feet.

I will be ever grateful to those few who DID intercede. Those who worked to change my every-day depression into another every-day norm. Looking back on it from today, I would go through every bit of it again anytime, because victory over death and destruction is so very much better than succumbing thereto. Hope must needs, spring eternal. That is the lesson. My whole world changed in half a day. Inexplicably, and without a reason.

Leave room for God, because that is the moment when you know he is there. And that is priceless... worth surpassing all.

This is a beautiful and inspiring post @roamer_1 

Offline thackney

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 02:23:06 pm »

Thank you for sharing that.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer