Author Topic: Is a massive tunnel system the answer to Houston’s flood woes?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline corbe

Is a massive tunnel system the answer to Houston’s flood woes?

Other Texas cities have built underground channels to divert stormwater. Experts say it might not be the right way to go for Houston, but that it's still worth exploring.

by Natalia Alamdari July 6, 2018 12 AM

In 1997, workers construct the San Antonio River Tunnel, which diverts floodwaters beneath the city.  San Antonio River Authority

Picture this: Another massive rainstorm overtakes Houston, but instead of inundating homes and businesses, much of the floodwater funnels into a massive underground tunnel system that whisks it away to the Houston Ship Channel.

It may sound far-fetched, but it's one concept on the table as the Harris County Flood Control District begins to explore more creative flood control methods after Hurricane Harvey, when the Houston area became the site of the worst rainstorm in American history.

Major rainstorms that brought widespread flooding to the region on Wednesday served as the latest reminder of how flood-prone the area is.

The district hasn't offered many specifics on the proposal; it only just got the green light from county commissioners to apply for a federal grant to study the feasibility of digging miles of channels underneath the nation's third largest county.

<..snip..>

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/07/06/hurricane-harvey-floods-houston-water-tunnel/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline thackney

Drilled 100 to 200 feet underground, the underground channels act as temporary storage for floodwater during intense rainstorms

Unlike San Antonio, an underground tunnel below Houston at this depth would already be filled with water.  It would be well below sea level.  It would be a constant, massive effort and expense to keep it dry and far too likely to be too small for a coastal hurricane event.

Our high water table is the reason basements are almost unheard of in this area.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 07:44:36 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

I got one word for Texas........Stilts!

Offline thackney

Some of the Houston neighborhoods are doing that, or essential raising a house to put in an above-ground basement.

The problem is most of the homes are built on slab foundation rather than something like pier and beam.  Lot less money to raise the latter.  Most slab foundation homes run 6 figures to raise.  Some of the bigger ones are running $300k.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline endicom

Guess which city this is:

Offline Frank Cannon

Guess which city this is:

Those aren't stilts. Those are toothpicks.

Offline corbe

Unlike San Antonio, an underground tunnel below Houston at this depth would already be filled with water.  It would be well below sea level.  It would be a constant, massive effort and expense to keep it dry and far too likely to be too small for a coastal hurricane event.

Our high water table is the reason basements are almost unheard of in this area.

I agree @thackney San Antonio drilling into Limestone is a lot different/cheaper than Houston drilling into Mud.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Pumps like in New Orleans make more sense in Houston that do tunnels.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
No!  Next question.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
It might work but what if people get trapped in them? Or am I over thinking it be causing I’m
Thinking of the Thai boys trapped in the cave?
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline GrouchoTex

Re: Is a massive tunnel system the answer to Houston’s flood woes?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 02:24:52 pm »
It had been discussed in the past, that the flood control district build a tunnel, directly into the ship channel, or, perhaps Galveston bay (which is where the ship channel would lead, anyway).
This tunnel would connect to the Addicks and Barker reservoirs, so what happen to buffalo Bayou, where the houses were flooded with released water from them, wouldn't happen again.
When first proposed, it made more sense, but now, too much development in the pathway of where the tunnel would be built.
A 3rd reservoir seems more feasible now.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:25:29 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline corbe

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 08:02:41 pm »
It might work but what if people get trapped in them? Or am I over thinking it be causing I’m
Thinking of the Thai boys trapped in the cave?

@Freya
   The tunnels are for the transport of flood waters to the Houston ship channel not for little boys and their coaches.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 08:07:37 pm »

The tunnels are for the transport of flood waters to the Houston ship channel not for little boys and their coaches.

The bigger, little boys, will find a way to get into them and explore.

We used to explore the larger storm sewers.