Author Topic: Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's stance on Roe v. Wade could be hinted at in an undocumented  (Read 1376 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh's stance on Roe v. Wade could be hinted at in an undocumented teen's abortion case
Rosie Perper, Alexandra Ma

Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh previously voted against giving an undocumented teen access to abortion in a key case, which may provide insight into his opinions of abortion rights in the US.

In a high-profile case involving abortion late last year, Kavanaugh wrote in dissent of a decision from the DC Circuit's full bench to permit a 17-year-old undocumented immigrant to seek an abortion while in federal custody.

The Trump administration had denied the teen's request, saying it did not want to be "facilitating" abortions for unaccompanied minors. Kavanaugh argued that the majority "badly erred" in their decision to allow the process anyway.

Read more at: http://www.businessinsider.com/brett-kavanaugh-roe-vs-wade-abortion-case-undocumented-teen-2018-7

Offline TomSea

He made the right decision in writing the dissent but I think it is somewhat limited in what it tells us.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I don't think we'll completely end Roe v. Wade and get rid of abortion. I'd be thrilled though if SCOTUS will rule that some of these fetal heartbeat bills, like we passed recently here in Iowa, will be allowed to stand, or tighter restrictions or abortion clinics, and so on.

That wouldn't be a perfect victory, but still a big one. If Kavanaugh's confirmation would even open the door for that we'd be way ahead.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

I don't think we'll completely end Roe v. Wade and get rid of abortion. I'd be thrilled though if SCOTUS will rule that some of these fetal heartbeat bills, like we passed recently here in Iowa, will be allowed to stand, or tighter restrictions or abortion clinics, and so on.

That wouldn't be a perfect victory, but still a big one. If Kavanaugh's confirmation would even open the door for that we'd be way ahead.

It will probably be gradual but I think clearly, it is an issue best left up to the states and that means reversal. I'd give it a 5 year window, between liberals and their clown allies, Constipation party chumps and disgruntled Uniparty republicans, Rome wasn't built in a day.  They all work for the pro-choicer side.

I'll bet once Kav is in there, the votes will be there. The judges will just be tentative about taking the issue on.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:26:34 am by TomSea »