Author Topic: Would Brett Kavanaugh overturn Roe? Supreme Court pick’s record offers mixed clues  (Read 1055 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Excerpt:

Would Brett Kavanaugh overturn Roe? Supreme Court pick’s record offers mixed clues

During his 2006 confirmation hearings to the D.C. Circuit, Kavanaugh testified that he “would follow Roe v. Wade faithfully and fully. That would be binding precedent of the court, it’s been decided by the Supreme Court.” He added that “it’s been reaffirmed many times, including in Planned Parenthood v. Casey,” and, “I don’t think it would be appropriate for me to give a personal view.”

Ed Whelan of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, a conservative legal analyst who favors overturning Roe, defended Kavanaugh on this point Tuesday by stressing that his comments “related entirely to” the role of a lower court judge bound to defer to higher courts, and “do not speak to [the] role of” a Supreme Court Justice.

As how Kavanaugh would rule on the highest court, perhaps the most encouraging evidence comes from a speech he delivered last year to the American Enterprise Institute on the legal philosophy of the late Chief Justice William Rehnquist, whom he called “my first judicial hero.”

Read more: https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/would-brett-kavanaugh-overturn-roe-supreme-court-picks-record-offers-mixed