Author Topic: Grilled Rib Eye Steak: Reverse Sear and Thermal Principles  (Read 6340 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Grilled Rib Eye Steak: Reverse Sear and Thermal Principles
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 03:43:44 pm »
Absolutely right! I picked up on that many years ago and started always ordering my steak rare. Everything is one level up in most restaurants. Rare is Medium Rare. Medium Rare is Medium. And so on. The only way I could get a decent medium rare steak was to order it rare.

So many people, including some chefs, just cannot serve red juicy steak. They have some kind of internal bias against it. They won't serve it if it is not 'cooked', according to their opinion. Even if you order it rare.

That's what I do, too.  If the restaurant accidentally cooks it insufficiently, they can always take it back and do it more.  Can't do that if they've already cooked it too well.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2018, 03:50:55 pm »
So, that's pretty much the same thing as the article described: cook it through to a certain temperature and then sear it.

Looks great.

It is the same.  And, Sous Vide makes it easy to get the right doneness in the first place because the temperature of the water bath can be controlled to the exact temperature you want the meat to be, and it can sit at that level for hours if need be because it's hot enough to pasteurize it. 

It's very useful if you have dinner guests that are notorious for being late.  You can simply wait until they get their inconsiderate butts in the chair to do the sear.  It's also easy to cook the meat to the individual guests' preferences.

You can also cook cheaper cuts for crazy-long times to make then more tender.  I cooked a Chuck for 24-36 hours once, and it came out like Sirloin.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2018, 04:10:09 pm »
Perfect ribeye in my house is salt and peppering the 2" cuts of meat with some granulated garlic and letting it sit for an hour on the counter until it reaches near-room temperature while the coals on the grill ash to perfect heat.

Then it's onto the grill grate over the hottest coals and cover.  In exactly 2 minutes, I slightly turn the steak 90 degrees to create the square grill marks and cover again for exactly two minutes.  Then I turn them over and do the same for the other side.  It's essentially 4 minutes a side for medium rare - which is how I like it.

Off the grill they come and then they sit and rest for about 4 - 5 minutes, and then when you cut into one..... oh boy!  Juicy!   

Never fail perfection.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 04:11:21 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2018, 04:14:43 pm »
Perfect ribeye in my house is salt and peppering the 2" cuts of meat with some granulated garlic and letting it sit for an hour on the counter until it reaches near-room temperature while the coals on the grill ash to perfect heat.

Then it's onto the grill grate over the hottest coals and cover.  In exactly 2 minutes, I slightly turn the steak 90 degrees to create the square grill marks and cover again for exactly two minutes.  Then I turn them over and do the same for the other side.  It's essentially 4 minutes a side for medium rare - which is how I like it.

Off the grill they come and then they sit and rest for about 4 - 5 minutes, and then when you cut into one..... oh boy!  Juicy!   

Never fail perfection.

Exactly the way I always did it before I discovered Sous Vide.... :beer:
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2018, 02:23:20 am »
I like Filet Mignon, done Sous Vide.  The cooking to temperature part is easy peasy, then a quick (15-seconds) sear in a cast-iron pan heated full blast.  They come out like this (Medium rare):

I haven't tried sous vide.  There's a little bit of an ick factor for me with cooking in plastic.

I like mine exactly how @INVAR describes cooking his.

For prime rib roasts I sear the seasoned meat on high heat on all sides and then put a meat thermometer in the center and cook it in the oven at 200* in the same pan until it gets up to temp ~135* internal.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2018, 03:41:04 am »
I haven't tried sous vide.  There's a little bit of an ick factor for me with cooking in plastic.

For prime rib roasts I sear the seasoned meat on high heat on all sides and then put a meat thermometer in the center and cook it in the oven at 200* in the same pan until it gets up to temp ~135* internal.

I have a really nice rotisserie for that.  Mrs. Liberty has had it since 1973.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2018, 04:07:40 am »

Try this some day.

Preheat oven to 500 F.

Take a 4# roast and let it sit on the counter top for about 4 hours until it reaches room temp.

Generously rub it with the rub of your choice(mine is Cabot butter and Montreal Steak Seasoning) and rub it generously all over the roast.

Put the roast in the oven on a roast pan and cook it for 20 minutes (the formula is five minutes per lb.) then turn the oven off and leave the roast in there for 2 hours. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR DURING THAT TIME.

Remove from oven, slice and serve.

Found that method on the net and decided to give it a try. Best Prime Rib I've ever made.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2018, 04:10:06 am »
Wow.  Now that is some serious steak technology.

Unrelated though......   Has anyone noticed in the past say 5 years, the inability of a restaurant to get a steak right?

Back in the old days, you could count on it being correct 90% of the time.  Nowadays?  Maybe 25%.

Have to go to a serious steak house.

My personal favorite is The Palm on Second Avenue in Manhattan.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2018, 04:12:22 am »
Try this some day.

Preheat oven to 500 F.

Take a 4# roast and let it sit on the counter top for about 4 hours until it reaches room temp.

Generously rub it with the rub of your choice(mine is Cabot butter and Montreal Steak Seasoning) and rub it generously all over the roast.

Put the roast in the oven on a roast pan and cook it for 20 minutes (the formula is five minutes per lb.) then turn the oven off and leave the roast in there for 2 hours. DO NOT OPEN THE OVEN DOOR DURING THAT TIME.

Remove from oven, slice and serve.

Found that method on the net and decided to give it a try. Best Prime Rib I've ever made.

I've tried it that way before.  I like the way I described better.  I get no grey in the meat at all from that prolonged high oven temp.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2018, 04:14:09 am »
I've tried it that way before.  I like the way I described better.  I get no grey in the meat at all from that prolonged high oven temp.

Twenty minutes is not prolonged.

I got an amazing crust and perfect interior.

To each their own.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2018, 04:18:03 am »

A good chef operates with the tools he/she knows best!
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2018, 04:36:17 am »
Moo!

I’m hungry.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter