Author Topic: Grilled Rib Eye Steak: Reverse Sear and Thermal Principles  (Read 6342 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Grilled Rib Eye Steak: Reverse Sear and Thermal Principles
« on: July 07, 2018, 12:28:50 pm »
Thermoblog June 7, 2017 By Martin

If there were a President of Steaks, it’d be the rib eye. There’s something special about the cut, with tender, well-marbled meat that smells somehow better than any other steak. It’s a great way to celebrate anything: Father’s Day, Independence Day…Dinner. In today’s post, we’ll be showing you how you can get the best results when grilling this amazing cut, and we’ll also talk about one of the best way’s to top it: homemade compound butter.

This rather expensive steak is one you really don’t want to mess up by overcooking. To eliminate any chance of that cardinal food sin, you should cook your steak by the reverse sear method.

What is the reverse sear method?

A traditional sear is an old trick for cooking steaks, whereby you’d sear the steak in a hot pan or on a hot grill and finish it in the oven at a lower temperature. This helped prevent overcooking—in part—but also created a delicious crust.

The reverse sear is the opposite of that: you cook the steak in a low-temp environment first until it is about 15°F (8°C) below your target pull temperature.

Beef Temperature Chart

Beef Doneness    Final Doneness Temperature

Rare    120–130°F (49–54°C)
Medium Rare    130–135°F (54–57°C)
Medium    135–140°F (57–60°C)
Medium Well    145–155°F (63–68°C)
Well Done    155°F (68°C) and up

Then you sear the steak to give it that tasty crust and to finish the cooking.

Why reverse sear?

By cooking the steak evenly throughout, you can be assured that you are getting just the doneness that you want. The gentle early cook gives you greater control over meat temp because the temperature gradients from exterior to interior remain relatively mild throughout. If you sear first, you’re setting up a steep temperature curve through the thickness of the meat that can push you into doneness range with unexpected rapidity. Getting your meat close to done and then pushing the surface to a crust just gives you more control over the finish, the perfect pink that you are looking for.

Put another way, by grill-roasting a rib eye—or other—steak in a 220°F (104°C) environment, the thermal gradients within the meat are kept broader, meaning the center temp is much closer to the surface temp. When the steak reaches 110°F (43°C) internal temperature, the outside region is still much cooler than it would have been if you had seared it first. If you then sear the steak quickly over high heat, you get a great Maillard-browned crust but little to no grey-ring in the steak.

Reverse sear is the best way to get edge-to-edge even doneness on a thick steak without a thick band of battleship gray meat just under the crust. —The Science of Great BBQ and Grilling, by Meathead Goldwyn

(Incidentally, when the pink pigment myoglobin heats beyond 140°F (60°C) degrees, it denatures and turns brown. And while this change from pink to brown is not what makes a piece of beef well done, it is indicative of the kind of heat that does cook meat to well.)
How to set up your grill for reverse searing steak

To grill a steak by the reverse-sear method, you need two zones: a direct and an indirect cooking zone. For gas grills, that means turning one side of your grill to high while leaving the other side off. For charcoal or wood grills, that means banking your coals to one side while either leaving the other side empty or even putting a pan of water in the space.

More: https://blog.thermoworks.com/2017/06/ribeye-steaks-smoked-reverse-seared/

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Grilled Rib Eye Steak: Reverse Sear and Thermal Principles
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 01:14:39 pm »
I will never do this. For me, there is one way to cook a steak. It should be crusted on the outside, pink in the middle, and red in the center. I enjoy rare steak so overcooking is the worst sin of all. For me, broiling or an open flame is best. Cook it fast and cook it hard. The outside winds up scorched or even blackened, but the center is still nice and pink.

I do agree with the chef that the less spices used the better it tastes. I never use A1 or any other 'steak sauce', because that is all you will taste. The meat gets lost in the background.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2018, 01:21:32 pm »
Ribeye?

As one butcher told me......    A criminal abuse of a Rib Roast.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2018, 01:47:47 pm »
Ribeye?

As one butcher told me......    A criminal abuse of a Rib Roast.

So what cut do you prefer for your steaks?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 01:49:19 pm »
So what cut do you prefer for your steaks?

Not saying it's the best, but I prefer a thick well marbled Porterhouse
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 01:55:32 pm »
Not saying it's the best, but I prefer a thick well marbled Porterhouse

If you're not sayin' it's the best, why did you pick it?

What, for you, is the best? A simple question. If it's Porterhouse just say it.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 02:11:08 pm »
If you're not sayin' it's the best, why did you pick it?

What, for you, is the best? A simple question. If it's Porterhouse just say it.

Sorry for not being clear.  I understand conventional preference for steak lovers would be a ribeye.  (inferred best by most).  For me I prefer a Porterhouse.  And I get to watch my bulldog gnaw on the bone.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 02:19:59 pm »
I will never do this. For me, there is one way to cook a steak. It should be crusted on the outside, pink in the middle, and red in the center. I enjoy rare steak so overcooking is the worst sin of all. For me, broiling or an open flame is best. Cook it fast and cook it hard. The outside winds up scorched or even blackened, but the center is still nice and pink.

I do agree with the chef that the less spices used the better it tastes. I never use A1 or any other 'steak sauce', because that is all you will taste. The meat gets lost in the background.

"Nice and pink" in the center is not rare. A rare steak should have a cool, red center. A steak that's "pink in the middle and red in the center" is a steak with different degrees of doneness.

A rare steak is cooked to were no part of the interior of the steak reaches a temperature higher than 125° F.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 02:27:13 pm »
In my experience, the reverse sear method is impractical with steaks that are less than 1½" to 2" in thickness, and grade choice or higher.

I use a digital probe that alerts my phone when the desired internal temperature is reached.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2018, 02:31:55 pm »
In my experience, the reverse sear method is impractical with steaks that are less than 1½" to 2" in thickness, and grade choice or higher.

I use a digital probe that alerts my phone when the desired internal temperature is reached.

Wow.  Now that is some serious steak technology.

Unrelated though......   Has anyone noticed in the past say 5 years, the inability of a restaurant to get a steak right?

Back in the old days, you could count on it being correct 90% of the time.  Nowadays?  Maybe 25%.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2018, 02:34:33 pm »
Wow.  Now that is some serious steak technology.

Unrelated though......   Has anyone noticed in the past say 5 years, the inability of a restaurant to get a steak right?

Back in the old days, you could count on it being correct 90% of the time.  Nowadays?  Maybe 25%.

I don't order steak when I'm out.  It's better done at home.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2018, 02:35:46 pm »
"Nice and pink" in the center is not rare. A rare steak should have a cool, red center. A steak that's "pink in the middle and red in the center" is a steak with different degrees of doneness.

A rare steak is cooked to were no part of the interior of the steak reaches a temperature higher than 125° F.

AKA raw.  Why brown the skin when you're eating raw meat?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2018, 02:39:25 pm »

Because the caramelization (browning) of the skin tastes so good, and, hygenically speaking, because cooking the surface should take care of most pathogens, while leaving the interior tender and tasty.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2018, 02:39:38 pm »
Sorry for not being clear.  I understand conventional preference for steak lovers would be a ribeye.  (inferred best by most).  For me I prefer a Porterhouse.  And I get to watch my bulldog gnaw on the bone.

I perfectly understand your preference. I love Porterhouse steaks too. I don't know why it is, but Ribeyes are more prevalent in the stores, I frequent. So that's what usually ends up in my basket.  Where I used to go to hunt, the stores usually had large grass fed Sirloins. I thoroughly enjoyed plopping them on the grill.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2018, 02:42:09 pm »

Because it warms it up, adds to the flavor, and tenderizes the meat more than eating it cold.

That is the way I like it. My description was moderated and was not intended to be exactly correct. I like um with a bit more char on the outside, but that's just me. I enjoy that blackened fire cooked flavor on the meat.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:43:22 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2018, 02:45:41 pm »

The Maillard reaction is why.

The Maillard reaction is responsible for the browned, complex flavors that make bread taste toasty and malty, burgers taste charred, and coffee taste dark and robust. If you plan on cooking tonight, chances are you'll be using the Maillard reaction to transform your raw ingredients into a better sensory experience.

But the Maillard reaction doesn't just make food taste delicious. Understanding the reaction, even on a surface level (that's a Maillard pun, and you'll totally get it soon), is a gateway to understanding the chemical and physical processes of cooking. Grasping the variables involved and learning how to manipulate them is one of the best ways to become a more confident cook—it's the difference between being a slave to a recipe and being free to make a recipe work for you.

The good news is that the Maillard reaction is everywhere, which means plenty of chances to practice and learn. We use it so often that it's easy to forget it's there, but when it's missing, you'll certainly notice. Imagine a steak that tastes boiled instead of roasted, or a stir-fry that tastes more like a stir-steam. Each one represents a missed opportunity to exploit the Maillard reaction's potential.

So, What Is the Maillard Reaction?

The Maillard reaction is complex. So complex, in fact, that it's only in the last few years that scientists have begun to figure out what it actually is. While they still don't entirely understand it, they do know the basics: The Maillard reaction is many small, simultaneous chemical reactions that occur when proteins and sugars in and on your food are transformed by heat, producing new flavors, aromas, and colors.

More: https://www.seriouseats.com/2017/04/what-is-maillard-reaction-cooking-science.html

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2018, 02:47:36 pm »
Because the caramelization (browning) of the skin tastes so good, and, hygenically speaking, because cooking the surface should take care of most pathogens, while leaving the interior tender and tasty.

But why not cook the meat then? 

Most of us have fire, or something similar. 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2018, 02:54:23 pm »
  And I get to watch my bulldog gnaw on the bone.

Watch giving Porterhouse and Tbone steak bones to a dog.

A good friend's dog died on a Tbone steak bone. He was bigger than a bulldog though.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »
Watch giving Porterhouse and Tbone steak bones to a dog.

A good friend's dog died on a Tbone steak bone. He was bigger than a bulldog though.

I agree. Steak bones can be pointed and sharp. I'd be careful giving one to a dog big enough to crack it and try to swallow it.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2018, 03:00:27 pm »

Believe it or not, a rare steak is cooked.

And some people prefer their steaks to be cooked in this manner.

Personally, I prefer medium rare, but many restaurants will overcook a steak if you ask for medium rare.

We're not talking Steak Tartare here.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 03:01:45 pm by Elderberry »

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 03:03:13 pm »

I'm assuming you mean "why not cook the meat all the way through"?  Because, it changes the texture and taste.  And, rare to medium rare interior and crusty exterior is the perfect combination of taste and texture. 

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 03:08:13 pm »
  Where I used to go to hunt, the stores usually had large grass fed Sirloins.

The knock on Sirloins has been the "toughness" issue.  Free Range variety was a lot more tender wasn't it?   Sometimes when I feel cheap, I'll get sirloin anyway.  Tastes fine to me, just a few more knife strokes to get to the fork.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 03:12:37 pm »
I like Filet Mignon, done Sous Vide.  The cooking to temperature part is easy peasy, then a quick (15-seconds) sear in a cast-iron pan heated full blast.  They come out like this (Medium rare):

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 03:22:20 pm »
Personally, I prefer medium rare, but many restaurants will overcook a steak if you ask for medium rare.

Absolutely right! I picked up on that many years ago and started always ordering my steak rare. Everything is one level up in most restaurants. Rare is Medium Rare. Medium Rare is Medium. And so on. The only way I could get a decent medium rare steak was to order it rare.

So many people, including some chefs, just cannot serve red juicy steak. They have some kind of internal bias against it. They won't serve it if it is not 'cooked', according to their opinion. Even if you order it rare.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 03:27:15 pm »
I like Filet Mignon, done Sous Vide.  The cooking to temperature part is easy peasy, then a quick (15-seconds) sear in a cast-iron pan heated full blast.  They come out like this (Medium rare):

So, that's pretty much the same thing as the article described: cook it through to a certain temperature and then sear it.

Looks great.