Author Topic: Ibuprofen increases the risk of cardiac arrest by 30% — why do people still believe that NSAIDs are  (Read 816 times)

rangerrebew

Ibuprofen increases the risk of cardiac arrest by 30% — why do people still believe that NSAIDs are safe?

Friday, August 03, 2018 by: Tracey Watson   

(Natural News) One of the biggest mistakes many of us make when it comes to our healthcare choices is to divide the pharmacy into two sections in our minds: the over-the-counter, no limits, “safe” section; and the behind-the-counter, must have a prescription, “dangerous” section. It is very easy to conclude that not needing a prescription for a chemical drug means it’s safe and shouldn’t raise any red flags, but nothing could be further from the truth. There are some very dangerous medicines lurking in the over-the-counter section, as was confirmed again recently by a Danish study that found a link between the use of ibuprofen and a 31 percent increase in risk of cardiac arrest.

https://www.naturalnews.com/2018-08-03-ibuprofen-increases-the-risk-of-cardiac-arrest-by-30.html

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Use of any NSAID was associated with a 31% increased risk of cardiac arrest. Diclofenac and ibuprofen were associated with a 50% and 31% increased risk, respectively. Naproxen, celecoxib and rofecoxib were not associated with the occurrence of cardiac arrest, probably due to a low number of events.

If it bothers anyone, the numbers for Naproxen look much better....

Offline Suppressed

If it bothers anyone, the numbers for Naproxen look much better....

Yeah, a bit of a contradictory paragraph there.

Plus, they didn't study causation, only correlation.  Someone taking NSAIDS because of distress is probably more likely to have a heart attack than someone not in distress.

Crazy.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:19:35 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline musiclady

Moderation in all things.

If you believe everything the alarmists say about every food we ingest and every pill we take it will CAUSE a heart attack.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It's Natural News.

And, studies indicate much less risk of cancer with NSAID usage.

Offline Applewood

I'd say heart disease is more likely precipitated by other risk factors than NSAIDs.  From personal experience I know my cardiac arrest came from obesity, poor diet, lack of exercise and other things.  In fact, when I had my arrest, I wasn't taking any kind of pain reliever. 

I do know again from personal experience that kidney disease sufferers are forbidden to take NSAIDs.  It's a bummer for me because, as I get older, my joints hurt.  NSAIDs would be better for the arthritis because they relieve inflammation as well as pain.  I can take Tylenol, but while it might make arthritis hurt a little less, it does nothing for the inflammation behind the pain. 

Those of you who can take NSAIDs -- I wouldn't stop unless your doctor tells you otherwise.  Don't stop because of some mass hysteria promoted by Natural News.