Author Topic: For agent who brokered Bobby Bonilla Day, 'I'm just happy that he's happy'  (Read 798 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/07/01/bobby-bonilla-day-mets-deferred-payments-2035/749342002/

Dennis Gilbert woke up Sunday morning at his Beverly Hills home, listened to the congratulatory message, and laughed.

Yes, he remembered the significance of this day.

How could he ever forget July 1?

It’s Bobby Bonilla Day.

It’s the day that Bonilla will be paid $1.193 million by the New York Mets.

Well, $1,193,248.20 to be exact.

Yes, to the 55-year-old man who hasn’t played a game since 2001.

To a man who will be paid almost as much as the $1.227 million the Yankees are paying to their best player and best pitcher - Aaron Judge and Luis Severino.

To a man that will be paid most likely after Judge and Severino have retired, with payments due through 2035.

It’s the contract that keeps on giving, and keeps on pinching the Mets, who opened Sunday’s play with the worst record in the National League.

Offline Frank Cannon

Every year this story makes me laugh my ass off and I'm a Mets fan.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Every year this story makes me laugh my ass off and I'm a Mets fan.

What percentage of that annual paycheck goes to the agent?

What did agents make back then? 5%  Less?
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Frank Cannon

What percentage of that annual paycheck goes to the agent?

What did agents make back then? 5%  Less?

I have no idea what his agents cut is, but I do know that while this guy was negotiating contracts for big talent he was a damn insurance agent. That how he came up with this insanely awesome deal for Bobby. He understood annuities.

Online Hoodat

The Mets were OK paying the equivalent of an 8% return since they had been promised 15% from some hot shot investor named Bernie something.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-