Author Topic: A long-duration heat wave is beginning in Washington when it will frequently feel as if it’s 100  (Read 14729 times)

Online roamer_1

It's around 90 here. I did a little work in the garden for barely a half hour and am completely drenched. It's brutal.

I know what you mean... We might break 70 degrees in the next hour or so...
 :tongue2:

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I have the AC on ... 65?  :whistle:

I'm in my underwear. I would freeze at 65. Also that would kill all the homemade wine I have cooking all over the house.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hoodat

Always a nice southeasterly breeze, @Hoodat?

It never seems to go much above the water temp.  When stormy, the temp will drop.  But when sunny and relatively clear, it never goes above 85.

Of course that could change now that summer is finally here.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

Bit of an under achiever, eh?

Whoa, they caught a picture of Bill and Ted's time travel machine.

Offline goodwithagun

I'm in my underwear. I would freeze at 65. Also that would kill all the homemade wine I have cooking all over the house.

What’s cooking?
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
What’s cooking?

Some Grape wine and Peach wine. I also have a mango, papaya, strawberry mix (tropical flavor) just for fun.
Once I learned how to do it, and found out how freakin easy it is, I do it all the time now. Have a hydrometer on the way from Amazon. Tired of guessing the proof, even though I know it is 5% at the least and 14% at the most.

Thinking about buying a distiller and taking it up notch, but still haven't decided.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Frank Cannon

Whoa, they caught a picture of Bill and Ted's time travel machine.

You just outed yourself as old by A) referencing that movie and B) knowing what a phone booth is.

Offline skeeter

You just outed yourself as old by A) referencing that movie and B) knowing what a phone booth is.

I wanna know which of those two in front is @Hoodat

Offline Frank Cannon

I wanna know which of those two in front is @Hoodat

Doing a lube job under the Caddy.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
One mile from the ocean in the OC  3:30 pm = 70 F

It is brutal, I tell you. Ocean breeze picks up about this time, to keep it cool.

I have never lived in a house with AC.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:35:15 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline goodwithagun

Some Grape wine and Peach wine. I also have a mango, papaya, strawberry mix (tropical flavor) just for fun.
Once I learned how to do it, and found out how freakin easy it is, I do it all the time now. Have a hydrometer on the way from Amazon. Tired of guessing the proof, even though I know it is 5% at the least and 14% at the most.

Thinking about buying a distiller and taking it up notch, but still haven't decided.

Fun! We do hard cider in fall after our neighbor has picked all the apples off her tree she wants.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Suppressed

I left my a/c off while traveling. I hope the mead I have going doesn't get destroyed.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline RoosGirl

A) You bleep old people don't know about Amazon movies. B) Why would I need a booth for my cell phone?

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Fun! We do hard cider in fall after our neighbor has picked all the apples off her tree she wants.

It is fun. It has becoming something of a hobby for me. It is close to gardening, in the sense that you plant the seed, nurture it as much as you can or should, and watch it grow over time. And the payoff is fun too. Win Win.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:09:31 pm by 240B »

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I left my a/c off while traveling. I hope the mead I have going doesn't get destroyed.

That depends entirely on the type of yeast that you used. But regardless of the yeast, if you get to 65 degrees or below, the yeast will likely go dormant. You may or may not be able to revive it depending on the type of yeast and how long it stays at that temp.

Offline goodwithagun

Great. So now I’m going to have to shade the ‘maters. After two straight years of early blight, I’m not about to lose this this years crop!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Being that I was born in 1976 I've never seen a real soda jerk, but they do actually look like jerks.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Hydrometer. If only I had a hydrometer. When I was in the Navy I went in with 2 shipmates on a 15 gal batch of beer. No hydrometer, we used the "look at the bubbles method". Well it was Sunday and we were pulling out to sea in the morning. Not many bubbles.  That cold front couldn't have anything to do with it. It's bottling time! When I got back home again, when I opened the door to my house, the smell of beer took my head off. I had stored my 2cases + 1 6pack in the kitchen closet. There was a lake of beer in the center of the kitchen. The closet door was blown wide open. Glass everywhere. But all was not lost. There were some unexploded bottles. So I'd take a bottle and partially uncap it, letting some/most of the pressure out and then recap it. That was working until a bottle exploded in my hand.

That's another story of how at the Navy hospital a 19 year old Navy  corpsman was giving OJT to a 17? yr old newby on how to sew me up.

If I only knew about hydrometers.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@240B

Have you ever done figs? I'm hoping to have around 20 lbs of figs off my tree soon and we're going to do a batch. I'm picking and freezing them every day. It'll be a first for me and my son. Any xtra and I'll make more preserves.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
@240B

Have you ever done figs? I'm hoping to have around 20 lbs of figs off my tree soon and we're going to do a batch. I'm picking and freezing them every day. It'll be a first for me and my son. Any xtra and I'll make more preserves.

No I have not. But I can tell you that figs will be a chore. Your going to have to peel them or scoop them out. You don't want that green skin in your mash. But that's fine. Add sugar and lukewarm to warm water. (make sure the water is not cold) There are two ways to go after that. You can activate the yeast manually by pouring it in a measuring cup with warm sugar water. When it starts to foam, you know you are good to go. Or, you can just add the yeast to the mash, keep it in a warm place, and just wait.

I don't know if this is the approved method since I am self taught, but the way I do it is to relieve the pressure every day, until it stops foaming and stops making pressure. Shake it to make sure it is really done. And you are good to go. Run it through a strainer or a coffee filter to make it just right. Chill, and enjoy.  A cheap hydrometer is less than $10, so it may be worth it so you see what is going on.

Baking yeast will work but it is not the best. Try this for a better product.

http://www.lallemandbrewing.com/products/home-wine-yeast/

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

@240B

I'm getting figs this year!

Normally, they ripen right around the 4th and the birds devour (or at least take one flipping bite out of) every one as soon as they do.

This year, they started a few weeks early, and I've gotten most of them.  Seems no one told the stupid birds they'd be coming in early!   

Also, normally most of the leaves would be pretty much covered in rust by now.  I've tried neem and pruning for air flow, but nothing has worked.  This year, all green.  I've heard we get two crops per year around here, maybe this year I will too.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 05:48:05 am by 240B »

Offline Suppressed

That depends entirely on the type of yeast that you used. But regardless of the yeast, if you get to 65 degrees or below, the yeast will likely go dormant. You may or may not be able to revive it depending on the type of yeast and how long it stays at that temp.

With the a/c off, the temp will climb. It's a fragile yeast, so it won't get too dry.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn