Author Topic: A long-duration heat wave is beginning in Washington when it will frequently feel as if it’s 100  (Read 14728 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
That is so disparaging to all them Mensonites, alluding that No Count Sheila is a Mensan.

I beg their forgiveness.  I  surely didn't mean to call Sheila, Shirley, but I did, and for that i truly apologize.  :cool:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I beg their forgiveness.  I  surely didn't mean to call Sheila, Shirley, but I did, and for that i truly apologize.  :cool:

Go, and sin no more, Mr. Nut.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Applewood

NWS has issued a local heat alert for my neck of the woods. I guess my brother's planned cookout will be moved indoors:

https://www.wpxi.com/weather/alert-detail?articleId=782256081

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Guys, make sure all your AC filters are all sparking clean. Cleaned mine last night and was amazed at how much better mine performed.

Online roamer_1

Poor folks. I just turned my heat back on today...

• Technical
And don't be afraid to clean the coils if need be. I've only needed to do this a few times however.

Offline Applewood

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Thank you for the tips.  I have whole house air. I had the guy who cuts my grass remove some weeds growing around my outside unit and I changed the furnace filter.  What I really need is to get someone to vacuum my ductwork.  After years of cat fur and God knows what else, I suspect the ductwork is clogged.   

• Technical
Poor folks. I just turned my heat back on today...

Where do you live that you can turn the heat on?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Growing up, we had whole house air too. A big exhaust fan in the hallway that sucked air into the house through all the windows. We didn't get our first window AC until grand-dad moved in with us. I don't know when Houston was considered to be the most air conditioned city. It sure wasn't back then. No AC at school either.

Online roamer_1

Where do you live that you can turn the heat on?

NW Montana.  We we're in the 50's and rainy all day. I was rolled up in a wool blanket all morning.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
NW Montana.  We we're in the 50's and rainy all day. I was rolled up in a wool blanket all morning.

Well, it's hot here. Yesterday was a high of 103. Today only in the 90s because of rain moving in. I just rolled out of bed from under a blanket. I don't use the blanket because of warmth. I only need it to keep the ghosts, and demons, and monsters away while I'm sleeping. They can't hurt me if I'm under a blanket. Those are the universal monster rules that we all go by.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online libertybele

Growing up I lived in Kansas and we had an attic fan; we opened all the windows and it sucked up the hot air into the attic and circulated the cooler air at night.  It worked very well.

I live in SW FL now and it is unusually warmer for this time of year, but we still have a gentle breeze outside and I have central AC and get it checked and serviced every 6 mos.

GOOD NEWS though; it has been predicted that this should be a less than average hurricane season as the waters are cooler (go figure).

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/colorado-state-university-2018-atlantic-hurricane-season-update-less-active-than-first-thought/105918

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/environment/article_e03a4572-7ed8-11e8-9d93-a3f403404687.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline thackney

Growing up, we had whole house air too. A big exhaust fan in the hallway that sucked air into the house through all the windows. We didn't get our first window AC until grand-dad moved in with us. I don't know when Houston was considered to be the most air conditioned city. It sure wasn't back then. No AC at school either.

I grew up with one of those as well.  However we did life north of the M-D line.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

• Technical

Well it was cold here for a while too, was taking forever to warm up. Was even cold up until July, then suddenly it warmed up. A little bit of heat in summertime is fine.

Online roamer_1

Well it was cold here for a while too, was taking forever to warm up. Was even cold up until July, then suddenly it warmed up. A little bit of heat in summertime is fine.

Yep... Todays high is supposed to be 71, tomorrow high 80's then back down to high 70/low 80's for a while... still brilliant spring green here, which is odd, because grass should be easing into summer now...
But we'll get our turn... late july and all of august will be baking hot... high 90's and low 100's... with choke and smoke from forest fires. whee.

Silver Pines

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

Thank you for the tips.  I have whole house air. I had the guy who cuts my grass remove some weeds growing around my outside unit and I changed the furnace filter.  What I really need is to get someone to vacuum my ductwork.  After years of cat fur and God knows what else, I suspect the ductwork is clogged.   

@Applewood

If you can afford it, it’s really worth it to have an HVAC check-up twice a year. 

Silver Pines

On the bright side, after today the summer clearance sales start in order to make room for fall merchandise.  And the days are getting shorter.  ^-^

Offline Applewood

On the bright side, after today the summer clearance sales start in order to make room for fall merchandise.  And the days are getting shorter.  ^-^

Those sales started last month -- at least they did in my neck of the woods.  I was browsing a couple of days ago looking for sleeveless shirts.  Forget it.  All picked over.    Meanwhile, back to school merchandise was being stocked.

Offline Applewood

@Applewood

If you can afford it, it’s really worth it to have an HVAC check-up twice a year.

Thanks.  I had mine inspected in April.  The company offered a deep discount on check-ups if done early. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
I hate summer. My air conditioning is barely functioning so I have a fan. It’s still over 80 in the apartment

I haven’t slept more than 2 hours a night since this heat wave started. I can’t wait for the temps to go down to 60 again.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I hate summer. My air conditioning is barely functioning so I have a fan. It’s still over 80 in the apartment

I haven’t slept more than 2 hours a night since this heat wave started. I can’t wait for the temps to go down to 60 again.

Not to worry. Hallmark Movies and Mysteries channel started a week-long Christmas marathon a couple of days ago. I guess they agree, and are trying to hurry up Christmas. I expect Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff will start popping up any day now.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Not to worry. Hallmark Movies and Mysteries channel started a week-long Christmas marathon a couple of days ago. I guess they agree, and are trying to hurry up Christmas. I expect Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff will start popping up any day now.

I’m going to send my resume to Santa. Thanks for the idea. I want to be an elf, or elfette.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

Growing up I lived in Kansas and we had an attic fan; we opened all the windows and it sucked up the hot air into the attic and circulated the cooler air at night.  It worked very well.

I live in SW FL now and it is unusually warmer for this time of year, but we still have a gentle breeze outside and I have central AC and get it checked and serviced every 6 mos.

GOOD NEWS though; it has been predicted that this should be a less than average hurricane season as the waters are cooler (go figure).

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us/news/articles/colorado-state-university-2018-atlantic-hurricane-season-update-less-active-than-first-thought/105918

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/environment/article_e03a4572-7ed8-11e8-9d93-a3f403404687.html
When I was a teen back in the sixties my father purchased a two-way fan. He and my mother had a window air conditioner for their bedroom.   When it got real hot,  we kids used poor people's air conditioning......the basement.
However, in the summer the heat went upstairs to my brother's and my bedroom. It could be difficult sleeping some nights.
So father said we could use the two way fan. He put the two-way  fan into our window.  His idea was that we could suck the hot air out of the house through our bedroom window and into the night air.
I tried to tell my father that we'd just be sucking more hot air into our room and that it would be better to suck the cool, outside night air into our room. My father remained adamant that his  way was the right way.
So we tried his method. No good...the room remained hot as an oven.  However, he assured us that the room would shortly turn cool as the sweat was pouring down our faces.
So after he left our bedroom (and the room remaining quite hot) I reversed the flow of the air from the fan  sucking air out from the house into our room to sucking cool, outside  air into our room.
The change in cooler air into our bedroom was almost instantaneous.  My father later marched upstairs and looked bewildered that the previously very hot room was now quite cool and sleepworthy.
He never admitted he was wrong ( he never admitted to any mistakes ever) but silently turned around and walked out of the room.
Nevertheless, my brother and I had a pleasant night's sleep with cool air in the room.

Offline mountaineer

It's amusing to see all the hysteria (not here,  the media) over  this weather.  How the heck did people survive pre-air conditioning?  But they did! I'm sweating like crazy, but drinking water by the gallon. We'll be fine. This is supposed to break in a couple days.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
That's new.
The weather just said that it is 90 degress, but it feels like 99. That is kind of a big difference. There must be no wind.