Author Topic: The Power of the Phrase: SPLC, ACLU, and 'Hidden Persuaders'  (Read 664 times)

Offline endicom

PJ Media
David Solway
June 25, 2018

As a poet and essayist, I have always been interested in the power of the phrase: the epithet, the slogan, the aphorism, the idiom, the cliché, the qualifier, the tag, the label, the title and the name. Of course, such locutions often carry neutral implications as mere designators, or may generate what Vance Packard called “hidden persuaders,” some of which can be quite clever and even impressive. For example, the FedEx logo. The company acronym contains a hidden symbol which one can glimpse with a little attention, namely, the white-space arrow implying forward motion between the concluding "E" and the lower case "x."

The problem is, as we should all be aware, that phrases may also be used for nefarious purposes, insinuating themselves into the mind as signifiers for non-existent “realities” or as de facto claims that are wholly fraudulent. The names of many totalitarian dictatorships bear misnomers like “Democratic” or “Republic” or “Free,” which fool only the credulous and the partisan. Does an area of the Pacific Ocean belong to China because it is called the South China Sea?

More... https://pjmedia.com/trending/the-power-of-the-phrase-splc-aclu-and-hidden-persuaders/

Offline Suppressed

Re: The Power of the Phrase: SPLC, ACLU, and 'Hidden Persuaders'
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 04:49:21 am »
The names of many totalitarian dictatorships bear misnomers like . . . “Republic” or “Free,” which fool only the credulous and the partisan.

Uh, no comment. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn