Author Topic: Will Anthony Kennedy’s replacement really end Roe v. Wade?  (Read 19474 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Will Anthony Kennedy’s replacement really end Roe v. Wade?
« Reply #175 on: July 01, 2018, 07:52:42 pm »
One wonders why same-sex marriage was not a constitutional right for 220 years in the Republic, all of a sudden, it's constitutional. Again, let's not forget, the SCOTUS stood up for slavery. So, really, the Democrats continue to be on the wrong side of the issues.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #176 on: July 01, 2018, 07:56:38 pm »
No, in fact, it isn’t the answer in a substantial number of cases.  And neither are rigid or parsimonious divorce rules.  Those who think otherwise are the ones denying history.

False.
The exceptions you might sputter on about do nothing but prove the rule.
Marriage is a contract, and that contract is avowed for life. There is a reason for that.

Whatever is assumed otherwise has been proven over and again to be false - every democracy ever has died this same peculiar death. What you see as freedom is actually symptomatic of the destruction thereof. The toll will be paid, and the pain of it will be immense.

Oceander

« Reply #177 on: July 01, 2018, 08:01:10 pm »
False.
The exceptions you might sputter on about do nothing but prove the rule.
Marriage is a contract, and that contract is avowed for life. There is a reason for that.

Whatever is assumed otherwise has been proven over and again to be false - every democracy ever has died this same peculiar death. What you see as freedom is actually symptomatic of the destruction thereof. The toll will be paid, and the pain of it will be immense.

History puts the lie to you.  Marriage is not the answer in many cases, and when it is not, only a sadist would insist that failed marriages be maintained because of some ideological belief of his.

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
« Reply #178 on: July 01, 2018, 08:01:33 pm »
Thanks @Jazzhead for coming back to the thread.

Yes,  a later court can overturn an earlier one,  but the point is that conservative judging nevertheless respects precedent,  especially when the issue isn't extending rights, but taking them away.    The abortion right has been guaranteed by the Constitution for over 40 years.  To a woman,  I'm sure you'll agree that the right is quite fundamental.  Despite their best efforts and intentions,  women DO have unplanned pregnancies,  and face existential crises as a result.   Yes,  I recognize the irony of using that word in a conversation about abortion,  but it cannot be denied that the term "crisis pregnancy center" is no misnomer.   Women need support, including financial and emotional support, to deal with an unplanned pregnancy.   They have for 40 years now at least had the freedom of knowing the State was not going to take their options away.   

My point there was simply to distinguish an opinion, even of the Supreme Court, from the Constitution itself.  Precedent must be respected to prevent the law from becoming unpredictable, but that respect cannot be absolute else we would still be living under Plessy v. Ferguson.  Some SC opinions *should* be overturned.

I dispute that parenthood is more fundamental to a woman than to a man.  Perhaps the nine months of pregnancy are more fundamental to a woman, but the following 18 years of support, with the alternative being judicial punishment, are more fundamental to a man.  Yet our laws afford absolute deference to the former and no consideration at all of the latter, on the argument that if the man can't live with the consequences then he "should have kept his pants zipped."  The same should be said of the woman.

And neither parenthood, nor the nine months of pregnancy, nor the 18 years of child support, are more fundamental than the very right to life of the third party in the equation, the child.

As for "no court can overturn a single punctuation mark in the Constitution",  there are plenty of reasonable folks,  folks I disagree with, who claim the Heller decision read the entire predicate clause out of the Second Amendment!   

Although I'm not an attorney I appreciate your analysis, described elsewhere, that the RKBA is actually in legal jeopardy.  As a question of fact I agree with you.  As a question of principle and the plain meaning of words I believe such a decision would drive further the contempt for the judiciary I have mentioned earlier.  Stated differently, the *subject* clause of the Second Amendment says "the right of the *people*", not "the right of the *militia*", and everyone who can read can plainly see that.

I'd say that contempt is misplaced,  but I know you won't believe me.  I'll just say there are lots of decent  men and women who consider their work as lawyers as contributing to the betterment of things. 

I find the contempt unfortunate and harmful, but I'm afraid I don't find it misplaced.  I don't think lawyers as a class are mal-intentioned - it is literally true that "some of my best friends are lawyers" - but I will argue that lawyers are unlikely to have an unbiased view of the judiciary overall.  Presidents and career executive branch officials argue for the authority of the Executive Branch, Congressmen argue for the authority of the legislature, attorneys argue for the authority of the courts.  None are unbiased.  Only the courts have succeeded in making themselves the arbiters of issues in which they have an institutional vested interest.  I am a research manager in the chemical industry, and I certainly don't have an unbiased view of my own industry.

But you are correct that the original Roe decision was a thundershock in that it wiped away the laws in most of the states,  and substituted the will of the Court for the will of the people.   That is, in and of itself,  disturbing,  and I have always been of the view that Roe would never be legitimized until it was codified in the form of a Constitutional amendment.   That will, of course, never happen,  so it has become the ultimate political football.  No issue divides us more as a people,  and no issue is more directly the root cause of our current distress that some suggest is a budding civil war.

I agree here.  If the abortion divide coincided with geography as did the abolition divide 170 years ago, I suspect it might have already led to far more serious division.

I don't think so.  But the day WILL come when women are able to avoid or address unwanted pregnancies without the need for abortion.  The liberty principle underlying the abortion right - the natural right to self-determination, extended to the female of the species - is not going away.   

Again, the natural right that is protected is the right of self-determination.   It takes two to tango, but the burden of pregnancy and childbirth is the woman's alone.  And far too often, the burden of raising a child falls, too, on the woman alone.   Is it hypocritical to afford few rights to the father?  What right of self-determination does the father possess?    And if he does,  can it not be dismissed as cavalierly as some do with respect to women, by saying the guy should have just kept his pants zipped? 

Women have the right to self-determination whether or not abortion is legal.  Women can choose to remain childless in the same manner that men can choose to remain childless.  And the rights of men *are* dismissed cavalierly by saying that he should have kept his pants zipped.  That is the greatest hypocrisy within the abortion debate.  Why does a woman have the unilateral right to determine not only a nine-month period of her own life but an 18 year period of a man's, and to determine the *entire* life of the developing child?

Not so fast - each is  a tool to effectuate what is perceived as an important natural right.  And where they certainly are the same is that, for each,  one political side thinks that one Constitutional right is sacrosanct, and the other is illegitimate.   And each political side refuses to compromise in its view that the state has no business interfering with the exercise of the right it favors,  and to strip away the right it disfavors. 

Yes each side believes one right is sacrosanct and the other illegitimate.  I have described why, both practically and Constitutionally, the pro-Second Amendment argument is much stronger than the pro-Roe argument.

We do not disagree regarding the moral belief.  We disagree regarding the authority of the state to compel a woman to reproduce, in order to protect a fetus that cannot yet survive on its own.   There is no answer I can give that will satisfy you that the fetus is undeserving of protection, especially if you ascribe to the fetus a soul.

I do believe the fetus has a soul but I wouldn't argue that law can be based on that belief, although it is just as compelling as the belief in dignity referenced by Kennedy in Obergefell.  I would argue that the fetus has DNA distinct from that of its mother and is therefore a human being, consequently deserving of the most fundamental right, the right to live.

But we have chosen to create a secular Republic,  with a Constitution predicated on protecting the individual rights of the living.   It is harsh to say so, but the Constitution does not protect non-viable fetuses,   except as derivative of the rights of the mother.  So an armed robbery gone awry can result in two victims,  when a mother and fetus are killed.   The mother's rights included her expectation that her growing child would have the state's protection.   But vis a vis the mother herself,  the situation of Solomon emerges.  A choice must be made - is the woman's right of self-determination more important than the fetus' right to life?   

I don't think the State can make that choice.   I think the woman, and her support system of partner, family and community should she engage it,  must make that choice.   And so my regular mantra is - persuasion, not coercion.   

I agree that persuasion is superior to coercion.  So I'll ask you again, why do we coerce our fellow citizens on the questions of murder, rape, robbery, and slavery?  Why coerce the baker?  Why does the state get to make *those* choices, none of which are any more significant than the question of a distinct human life?
James 1:20

Online roamer_1

« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2018, 08:33:32 pm »
History puts the lie to you.  Marriage is not the answer in many cases, and when it is not, only a sadist would insist that failed marriages be maintained because of some ideological belief of his.

Oddly enough, my views are not based in religious ideology for this issue and the abortion issue. Of course, I believe the Religious Right's view to be correct, but my view is housed mainly where philosophy intersects law, and is informed by history far before even the advent of the Protestantism to which I adhere...

A lifelong contract that can be summarily dismissed is rendered utterly moot - the contract being without effect. Marriage is a hard thing, and requires a ton of commitment. It is meant to span generations and provide stability and provision to youth and the bounty of provision to the elderly. It's dissolution is disaster. To provide 'easy out' to contracts is always a poor way, and a marriage contract is no different. In fact, there is no contract among men that should be more meaningful. Broken homes destroy lives in multiple generations.

As to abortion, a nation that bases itself in the enumerated right to God-given life, that will not protect the most innocent of us all is nothing but a caricature.

The only way that our government can legally sanction taking life is through just cause and due process - neither of which is found in an abortion. When you can show me where the federal government or any of the various states can take your life otherwise, that is when I will ponder whether is has the right to sanction against the life of that child. 

Oceander

« Reply #180 on: July 01, 2018, 08:40:17 pm »
Oddly enough, my views are not based in religious ideology for this issue and the abortion issue. Of course, I believe the Religious Right's view to be correct, but my view is housed mainly where philosophy intersects law, and is informed by history far before even the advent of the Protestantism to which I adhere...

A lifelong contract that can be summarily dismissed is rendered utterly moot - the contract being without effect. Marriage is a hard thing, and requires a ton of commitment. It is meant to span generations and provide stability and provision to youth and the bounty of provision to the elderly. It's dissolution is disaster. To provide 'easy out' to contracts is always a poor way, and a marriage contract is no different. In fact, there is no contract among men that should be more meaningful. Broken homes destroy lives in multiple generations.

As to abortion, a nation that bases itself in the enumerated right to God-given life, that will not protect the most innocent of us all is nothing but a caricature.

The only way that our government can legally sanction taking life is through just cause and due process - neither of which is found in an abortion. When you can show me where the federal government or any of the various states can take your life otherwise, that is when I will ponder whether is has the right to sanction against the life of that child. 

Your views are informed by a very unreal, even surreal, view of human nature and the effects of marriage.  And no, a contract that can be terminated by either party solely by giving notice to the other party is not a nullity for that reason.  Plenty of contracts have just such provisions in them and they are bona fide contracts just as much as any other contract. 

And due process is not the magic sword you seem to think it is, either.  Due process is a flexible concept and what it requires varies very greatly depending on the circumstances.  It most certainly does not justify or support a State’s attempt to make abortion illegal.  That violates the rights of the woman involved. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #181 on: July 01, 2018, 09:13:20 pm »
@Oceander

Says you, the court was split, Justice White said it wasn't in the constitution.
https://www.scribd.com/document/217330653/Dissent-White

I guess, if one always assumes the SCOTUS makes the correct decision, they have no problem with slavery either.

Oceander

« Reply #182 on: July 01, 2018, 09:43:17 pm »
@Oceander

Says you, the court was split, Justice White said it wasn't in the constitution.
https://www.scribd.com/document/217330653/Dissent-White

I guess, if one always assumes the SCOTUS makes the correct decision, they have no problem with slavery either.

The only concrete statement I’ve made in this regard is that the Constitution does not make abortion illegal.  And it does not.  You will not find one provision in the Constitution that makes abortion illegal. 

Instead, I have spent my time trying to establish certain ground lines that are necessar before one can profitably turn to evaluating Roe v. Wade, and establishing that all here accept that causing another person’s death is not the same thing as murdering that person - if it were, then all self-defense that led to lethal results would opal facto be murder - the reason being that simply labeling abortion as murder adds nothing to the discussion and flinging the word around is designed simply to shut down conversation, the same way that liberals intend to shut down a conversation when they start flinging around the word racism. 

Obviously, a fool’s errand on my part, because nobody here appears to want to have any sort of a discussion; they’ve made their minds up and all they want now is group validation. Another failing that is all too common amongst liberals. 

Such is life.  As far as overturning Roe v. Wade goes, however, I would point only to Dickerson v. United States, 530 U.S. 428 (2000).  In that case, the Supreme Court was squarely faced with the prospect of overruling Miranda v. Arizona.  Specifically, the Court was faced with the question of whether the so-called Miranda warnings were required by the Constitution. 

The Court chose not to, even though there were significant questions regarding the exact basis on which the warnings were constitutionally required, and acknowledged that they went beyond the requirements of voluntariness, which is the the basis for determining whether the Fifth Amendment has been violated.  That is, the Constitution only requires that a confession not be coerced, and the test for that is whether under all the facts and circumstances the confession was voluntary, not whether the defendant had been advised of his rights. 

The Courts reasoning for this was that the Court that decided Miranda itself clearly believed it was announcing a constitutional ruling, the case had been consistently applied that way over many years in many different contexts, including in state court cases, application of the holding in Miranda was relatively straight forward, and the Miranda warnings had become part and parcel of the broader legal and cultural landscape.

The only two justices who dissented from Dickerson were Scalia and Thomas.  Of course, with Kennedy’s retirement, the only justice left who was in the majority is Ginsburg. 

Roe v. Wade has many of the same factors in its favor that Miranda had, although there are differences.  Nonetheless, it seems to me that Dickerson, and the arguments underlying its rationale, will be used to uphold Roe v. Wade if it comes to it. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #183 on: July 01, 2018, 09:59:04 pm »
Like I said, maybe they should have had better lawyers. 

And just whom do you expect to pay for the care and feeding of these “men’s” offspring?  Letting them go without paying doesn’t make the child go away and simply shifts those costs to someone else, like the rest of us, who clearly played no role in the creation of their children.

In this country, there is such a large demand to adopt children, people will pay medical expenses before the birth, even some living allowances have been justified. 

There is no reason to be stuck with a newborn you don't want and cannot afford.  People are literally paying to wait in line for that opportunity.

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Oceander

« Reply #184 on: July 01, 2018, 10:04:23 pm »
In this country, there is such a large demand to adopt children, people will pay medical expenses before the birth, even some living allowances have been justified. 

There is no reason to be stuck with a newborn you don't want and cannot afford.  People are literally paying to wait in line for that opportunity.

That’s fine.  When the adoptive parents sign up, their parental rights are confirmed, and the genetic father’s rights are terminated, his obligation to pay is also terminated.  Until then, no dice.   

Offline thackney

« Reply #185 on: July 01, 2018, 10:08:08 pm »
That’s fine.  When the adoptive parents sign up, their parental rights are confirmed, and the genetic father’s rights are terminated, his obligation to pay is also terminated.  Until then, no dice.

The only reason that does not happen, if the mother chooses not to.  It is not a financial burden, unless she chooses it.

The demand to adopt children is so high in the US, people pay tens of thousands of additional dollars, just to arrange it in another country where the children are available.

There is no forced financial burden on a mother to raise a child she did not want, unless she chooses it.  To claim financial burden as a reason to allow abortion is dishonest.

Oceander

« Reply #186 on: July 01, 2018, 10:12:28 pm »
The only reason that does not happen, if the mother chooses not to.  It is not a financial burden, unless she chooses it.

The demand to adopt children is so high in the US, people pay tens of thousands of additional dollars, just to arrange it in another country where the children are available.

There is no forced financial burden on a mother to raise a child she did not want, unless she chooses it.  To claim financial burden as a reason to allow abortion is dishonest.

So long as the man’s progeny are out there, and his parental rights have not been terminated, then it is only fair to the rest of us to force him to pay for his progeny.  Until another set of parents step in to shoulder the burden, it’s only fair to keep it on him. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #187 on: July 01, 2018, 10:15:33 pm »

So long as the man’s progeny are out there, and his parental rights have not been terminated, then it is only fair to the rest of us to force him to pay for his progeny.  Until another set of parents step in to shoulder the burden, it’s only fair to keep it on him.

I can agree that the man has to pay for the child.  I don't agree the women can kill his child regardless of his desires.

Oceander

« Reply #188 on: July 01, 2018, 10:20:10 pm »
I can agree that the man has to pay for the child.  I don't agree the women can kill his child regardless of his desires.

It’s not his body that’s involved.  Her right to determine what happens to her body trumps his interest in the baby until and unless he can take over the gestation.

Offline thackney

« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2018, 10:30:06 pm »
It’s not his body that’s involved.  Her right to determine what happens to her body trumps his interest in the baby until and unless he can take over the gestation.

Her decision to determine what happens to her body started before the sperm met the egg.  Her decisions leading up to that point (as well as his) have consequences involving more than just the two of them.  The right of the resulting child to live should not be terminated because of conveniences or finances.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #190 on: July 01, 2018, 10:30:34 pm »
So long as the man’s progeny are out there, and his parental rights have not been terminated, then it is only fair to the rest of us to force him to pay for his progeny.

Why is it unfair *to the rest of us* whether the financial burden for a child is transferred to people who are willing to accept it?  I can see that it might be unfair *to the biological father* to transfer parental rights without his knowledge or consent, but the premise in defense of abortion is usually that the biological father has, or will, willfully avoid fulfilling his responsibility.  Why do the rest of us have any interest in keeping the responsibility on the unwilling biological father when there are others willing and able to take on that burden?

Until another set of parents step in to shoulder the burden, it’s only fair to keep it on him.

This is exactly the case @thackney describes, another set of parents has stepped in to shoulder the burden.

BTW @Oceander I am not familiar with the Dickerson case, but your analysis of it seems insightful and trustworthy as a predictor that Roe is unlikely to be reversed.

Oceander

« Reply #191 on: July 01, 2018, 10:33:49 pm »
Why is it unfair *to the rest of us* whether the financial burden for a child is transferred to people who are willing to accept it?  I can see that it might be unfair *to the biological father* to transfer parental rights without his knowledge or consent, but the premise in defense of abortion is usually that the biological father has, or will, willfully avoid fulfilling his responsibility.  Why do the rest of us have any interest in keeping the responsibility on the unwilling biological father when there are others willing and able to take on that burden?

This is exactly the case @thackney describes, another set of parents has stepped in to shoulder the burden.

BTW @Oceander I am not familiar with the Dickerson case, but your analysis of it seems insightful and trustworthy as a predictor that Roe is unlikely to be reversed.

Get the adoptive parents to sign up, and as I said, I have no problem cutting the gutter-snipe free from his obligations.  Until that time, the taxpayers will most likely get hit with the bill for paying for his kids.  That’s what’s not fair. 

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2018, 01:02:34 pm »
@HoustonSam

My point there was simply to distinguish an opinion, even of the Supreme Court, from the Constitution itself.  Precedent must be respected to prevent the law from becoming unpredictable, but that respect cannot be absolute else we would still be living under Plessy v. Ferguson.  Some SC opinions *should* be overturned.

Yes, but those tend, historically, to be decisions that effect injustice because they represent the denial of natural rights.   Overturning a decision that affirmatively recognizes a natural right should be the job of the peoples' elected representatives (e.g., by the passage of a Constitutional amendment).    That's especially the case when the right or liberty so recognized has been relied upon for decades.   How is it not judicial activism to take away a woman's ability to decide her future at such a late date? 

(And come to think of it, how is it not judicial activism to take away the individual RKBA conferred by Heller?  Respect for precedent protects both the liberties you favor as well as those you despise.)     

I dispute that parenthood is more fundamental to a woman than to a man.  Perhaps the nine months of pregnancy are more fundamental to a woman, but the following 18 years of support, with the alternative being judicial punishment, are more fundamental to a man.  Yet our laws afford absolute deference to the former and no consideration at all of the latter, on the argument that if the man can't live with the consequences then he "should have kept his pants zipped."  The same should be said of the woman.

The woman must be the decider.  It is her body, it is either her blessing or her burden.  Hindsight is 20/20 - both parties to a coupling that ends in abortion should have stood down.   But it is simply unworkable for a man to, as a legal matter,  have the ability to force the woman to carry to term a child she doesn't want.   The man must do what we all must do - try to persuade, and offer support.   

And neither parenthood, nor the nine months of pregnancy, nor the 18 years of child support, are more fundamental than the very right to life of the third party in the equation, the child.

I don't disagree.  But again, in this admittedly imperfect scenario there must be a decider.   It is not the man, and it certainly cannot be the State.   Something is growing within the woman's body.  She must have the liberty to decide.  There's simply no other option.

Although I'm not an attorney I appreciate your analysis, described elsewhere, that the RKBA is actually in legal jeopardy.  As a question of fact I agree with you.  As a question of principle and the plain meaning of words I believe such a decision would drive further the contempt for the judiciary I have mentioned earlier.  Stated differently, the *subject* clause of the Second Amendment says "the right of the *people*", not "the right of the *militia*", and everyone who can read can plainly see that.

I am of the view that Heller was correctly decided.  But let's not forget that its critics consider it a case of judicial activism, no less so than Roe v. Wade.   Heller's critics believe that a Court majority read out of the Second Amendment its predicate clause.   I counsel the same remedy for Heller as for Roe - if the People agree with the ruling - or disagree with it - then codify or overturn the results by means of a Constitutional amendment.

If a SCOTUS with Merrick Garland in the majority had this year overturned Heller and held the 2A does not protect an individual RKBA,  you would be as upset with that decision as would millions of American woman should an "activist" SCOTUS next year have the temerity of taking their liberty away.   

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 02:43:45 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #193 on: July 03, 2018, 02:18:01 am »
@HoustonSam

Yes, but those tend, historically, to be decisions that effect injustice because they represent the denial of natural rights.   Overturning a decision that affirmatively recognizes a natural right should be the job of the peoples' elected representatives (e.g., by the passage of a Constitutional amendment).    That's especially the case when the right or liberty so recognized has been relied upon for decades.   How is it not judicial activism to take away a woman's ability to decide her future at such a late date? 

(And come to think of it, how is it not judicial activism to take away the individual RKBA conferred by Heller?  Respect for precedent protects both the liberties you favor as well as those you despise.)

The fundamental question in the abortion debate is whether the right of a woman to abortion is more fundamental than the right of the fetus to live.   I've argued that the 9 months a woman spends pregnant is less significant and fundamental to her than the entire life of the fetus being aborted is to that fetus.  Setting aside a pregnancy which actually threatens the woman's life, for which I would permit abortion, I believe it is self-evident that one person's entire life is more significant than 9 months of another person's life.  Your response however begs the question, arguing that abortion is a natural right because of Roe and entirely overlooking the natural right to life of the fetus.

As an aside, how does one distinguish a "natural" right?  Is there some other kind of right?

The woman must be the decider.  It is her body, it is either her blessing or her burden.  Hindsight is 20/20 - both parties to a coupling that ends in abortion should have stood down.   But it is simply unworkable for a man to, as a legal matter,  have the ability to force the woman to carry to term a child she doesn't want.   The man must do what we all must do - try to persuade, and offer support.

It is not only her body.

I'm not aware that anyone is arguing that a man should have the legal authority to force a woman to carry a fetus to term.  The pro-life movement argues that the fetus is a human being and should be protected by the law, not by either parent's choice.

Why is it morally workable for the woman's unilateral decision, over which the man has zero legal influence, to have complete legal influence over the next 18 years of the man's life?  Here again you are simply ignoring, not refuting, the position contrary to your own.

I don't disagree.  But again, in this admittedly imperfect scenario there must be a decider.   It is not the man, and it certainly cannot be the State.   Something is growing within the woman's body.  She must have the liberty to decide.  There's simply no other option.

The "something" growing in her body has 23 chromosomes and DNA distinct from her own.  The only possible definition of that "something" is "distinct human being."  There absolutely is another option.  You might vehemently disagree with that other option, but another option does in fact exist.

I am of the view that Heller was correctly decided.  But let's not forget that its critics consider it a case of judicial activism, no less so than Roe v. Wade.   Heller's critics believe that a Court majority read out of the Second Amendment its predicate clause.   I counsel the same remedy for Heller as for Roe - if the People agree with the ruling - or disagree with it - then codify or overturn the results by means of a Constitutional amendment.

If a SCOTUS with Merrick Garland in the majority had this year overturned Heller and held the 2A does not protect an individual RKBA,  you would be as upset with that decision as would millions of American woman should an "activist" SCOTUS next year have the temerity of taking their liberty away.   

Without a clear definition of "judicial activism" we can't accomplish anything by arguing that one decision or another was or would be "judicial activism."  I argue that "judicial activism" is the court maintaining that the law does not mean what it clearly does say (which is frequently the case for gun control), or that it does mean what it clearly does not say (which was the case for Roe).  That the losing side will label a decision "judicial activism" is not a valid criticism of the decision absent a definition of the charge.  Nor are the emotions of the losing side a valid reference of justice or constitutionality; some of my ancestors had intense emotional reactions to Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka; to those emotions neither validity nor sympathy accrue.

Finally @Jazzhead , I'll ask you for a third time, why can the state impose a moral judgment for murder, rape, theft, and slavery, but not for abortion?  Why is the state not required to respect the "choice" of the murderer, rapist, thief, or slave owner?  None of the them are committing an act any more significant than the ending of a human life, which is the outcome of an abortion.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #194 on: July 03, 2018, 04:14:19 am »
The fundamental question in the abortion debate is whether the right of a woman to abortion is more fundamental than the right of the fetus to live.   I've argued that the 9 months a woman spends pregnant is less significant and fundamental to her than the entire life of the fetus being aborted is to that fetus.

@HoustonSam ,  I answer that question the same way you do as a moral matter.   There are just two problems with that -  I am a man, and I can't bear the burden of the woman I may criticize for answering the question differently than I do.   But the more serious problem is that the law does not and cannot proscribe immorality.   It is not its job. Generally speaking, the law enforces obligations between individuals voluntarily assumed, and proscribes the violation of one individual's legal rights by another.  But lots of morally questionable acts are not against the law.    Here, the practical problem is that the fetus does not,  certainly not before it has become viable,  have legal rights as an individual vis a vis the mother.   It is the relationship of the mother and fetus that the law attempts to control,  and the law isn't cut out for the task.  The fetus is not physically independent of the mother's body. The woman's liberty (self-determination) must prevail over a portion of her own body.

I've actually thought about this, and considered whether the law can assign a duty of care - akin to that of a fiduciary - to a mother toward her growing child.  A fiduciary obligation must, however, be voluntarily assumed.   I could support the notion of a mother, having had a prescribed period of time to reject the responsibility, being impressed with the duty to do her potential child no harm.   That's certainly the case once birth occurs.  A baby, once born, cannot be discarded in the trash without the woman facing charges.       

Finally @Jazzhead , I'll ask you for a third time, why can the state impose a moral judgment for murder, rape, theft, and slavery, but not for abortion?  Why is the state not required to respect the "choice" of the murderer, rapist, thief, or slave owner?  None of the them are committing an act any more significant than the ending of a human life, which is the outcome of an abortion.

The answer is simple but not particularly satisfactory.   A pre-viable fetus has no legal rights vis a vis its mother. It is not independent of the mother.  The question is one of personal morality, one of those thorny questions of conscience the resolution of which cannot be compelled by the State.   

This is a moral question that each woman must decide for herself.   
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 04:26:16 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline TomSea

« Reply #195 on: July 03, 2018, 01:37:24 pm »
This is America, this is the process, a President is elected, he makes choices.

He nominates Supreme Court Justices.

This is America, we have freedom OF religion, not from religion.

This is America, we have 50 states with their rights to legislate law.

Perhaps, one's views are out of step with the American way.

Offline HoustonSam

« Reply #196 on: July 03, 2018, 02:33:19 pm »
@HoustonSam ,  I answer that question the same way you do as a moral matter.   There are just two problems with that -  I am a man, and I can't bear the burden of the woman I may criticize for answering the question differently than I do.

Nor do you bear the burden of the baker, but you have no hesitation to call for the force of law to be applied to him.  I'm not trying to tweak you on the baker issue @Jazzhead, you and I had a very good discussion a couple of weeks ago and I still appreciate the critical thought you put into some potential legal reasoning consistent with my point of view.  I just want to understand how you distinguish cases in which you are willing to invoke the force of law from those in which you defer to the conscience of the individual.  I distinguish them on the basis of the harm done to the person whose decisions are constrained and the person on whom those decisions have an impact.  The baker's would-be homosexual customers suffered minimal harm, actually I would argue none, in shopping at a different bakery for a cake, while the baker would have been forced to endorse a belief he found odious and contrary to his faith.  The pregnant woman experiences 9 months of pregnancy, which is very significant, while the fetus loses it life, which is existentially more significant.

Is it your position that a man's belief on abortion is inherently less valuable than a woman's belief because only a woman can be pregnant?  More generally, if an experience is only available to a subset of the population, is it inherently wrong to address that experience in law?

If so, why are there laws against rape?  Crude jokes aside, only men are really capable of committing rape, women simply can't do it.  So why do we impose a forced morality on all men through laws against rape?  Of what value is the moral belief of a woman regarding an experience she simply cannot have?  Why do we not defer to men, as individuals, to make their own decisions about rape?

Of course the suggestion that we should repeal laws against rape and defer to the conscience of individual men is intentionally provocative and absurd.  However it is based on the same premise you've taken with regard to abortion - I can't impose a moral belief on someone regarding an experience I can't have, therefore the law should defer to the conscience of the individual who can have that experience - and it demonstrates the flaw in the position you've taken.  The argument you've made is extremely familiar and compelling to many, but neither its familiarity nor its wide acceptance make it valid.

As an additional aside, it seems that people will be able to choose their sex and reproductive capabilities through therapy and surgery in the future.  Will it always be the case that men's beliefs on abortion are unworthy of consideration in law?

But the more serious problem is that the law does not and cannot proscribe immorality.   It is not its job. Generally speaking, the law enforces obligations between individuals voluntarily assumed, and proscribes the violation of one individual's legal rights by another.

Contracts enforce agreements voluntarily assumed, but all law is not contracts.  Murder, rape, theft, and slavery are illegal because a majority believes they are wrong, not because we all entered into agreements to that effect.  The slave owners in no sense entered into a voluntary agreement to manumit their slaves, yet slavery ended by law.

But lots of morally questionable acts are not against the law.

Which *other* morally questionable acts, other than abortion, result in the death of a distinct human being?  I'm pretty sure it's none.  Of course we recognize that all don't agree on moral standards, so we provide deference to each other in law regarding those moral standards, unless an innocent party is harmed involuntarily.

Here, the practical problem is that the fetus does not,  certainly not before it has become viable,  have legal rights as an individual vis a vis the mother.   It is the relationship of the mother and fetus that the law attempts to control,  and the law isn't cut out for the task.  The fetus is not physically independent of the mother's body. The woman's liberty (self-determination) must prevail over a portion of her own body.

I agree that the law does not recognize rights of the non-viable fetus.  But the question here is not what the law *does* say, rather what it *should* say.  One cannot validly justify the current content of the law by referencing the current content of the law.

And while the fetus is dependent on the woman's body, it is not a portion of the woman's body.  The fetus has independent DNA.

I've actually thought about this, and considered whether the law can assign a duty of care - akin to that of a fiduciary - to a mother toward her growing child.  A fiduciary obligation must, however, be voluntarily assumed.   I could support the notion of a mother, having had a prescribed period of time to reject the responsibility, being impressed with the duty to do her potential child no harm.   That's certainly the case once birth occurs.  A baby, once born, cannot be discarded in the trash without the woman facing charges.

That's a fair distinction.  How does that distinction apply to a man?  At what point does he voluntarily take on fiduciary responsibility, and at what point is he shielded from that responsibility because he has not volunteered for it?  Does the man fully volunteer for fiduciary responsibility at the point of conception?  If so, is it your position that the woman has additional rights, rights inherently unavailable to the man, to postpone that decision by 9 months?  Would that be equality before the law?       

The answer is simple but not particularly satisfactory.   A pre-viable fetus has no legal rights vis a vis its mother. It is not independent of the mother.  The question is one of personal morality, one of those thorny questions of conscience the resolution of which cannot be compelled by the State.   

This is a moral question that each woman must decide for herself.   

You'll see clearly from my statements above that I accept your premise that the law in fact does not recognize legal rights of the pre-viable fetus, and I reject the conclusions you draw from that premise.

Jazzhead you and I are clashing directly here, but I feel that we are doing so with personal respect for each other.  I hope you feel the same.  You are an interesting and compelling opponent, clearly motivated by an enviable sense of humanity and respect for others, and I wish you the best.