Author Topic: Harley-Davidson isn’t riding off to Europe simply because of the Trump tariffs  (Read 855 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Jeffry Bartash
June 26, 2018

Iconic motorcycle maker has shifted production overseas for years

The war of words between President Trump and Harley-Davidson over its decision to shift some production to Europe conceals a simple truth: The famed American company has been expanding overseas for years.

Harley-Davison HOG, -0.60%  made its first foray outside the U.S. near the end of the Clinton administration in 1999 when it opened a plant in Brazil. The company later acquired a parts maker in Australia during the Bush years. It opened a plant in India in 2011 when Barack Obama was president. And shortly after Trump took office in 2017, Harley-Davidson said it would build a plant in Thailand.

Europe is the next frontier. The Milwaukee-based motorcycle maker on Monday said it would build bikes in Europe for the first time ever, blaming retaliatory tariffs by the European Union. The EU raised its tariff on motorcycles to 31% from 6% in response to White House duties on foreign steel.

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/harley-davidson-isnt-riding-off-to-europe-simply-because-of-the-trump-tariffs-2018-06-26?mod=MW_section_top_stories

Offline endicom

Harley-Davidson flap more about press's Trump-hate than economic reality

American Thinker
Jack Hellner
June 27, 2018

Washington Post columnist Catherine Rampell is up to her old President Trump-blaming, this time, on the matter of Harley-Davidson moving some of its manufacturing facilities overseas. She wrote:

[...]

t's a diatribe all right, criticizing Trump for criticizing Harley-Davidson, which announced recently that it would build motorcycles in Europe, and of course jumping all over him for his tariffs on goods from the European Union.

Maybe Rampell and others should mention that Harley-Davidson, in January, long before the tariffs were announced, said that they were closing a Kansas City plant. They said they were moving to New York and Pennsylvania. They also announced they were building a plant in Thailand but said that was unrelated.

More... https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/06/harleydavidson_flap_more_about_presss_trumphate_than_economic_reality.html

Offline aligncare

As with every hair-on-fire story blaming president Trump’s words, actions, his very visage, for everything from global warming to teenage acne, when the facts later become known, we learn it’s all BS.

Saldy, there are still too many here who revel in joining the fray while the lies are still fresh. Sad, indeed.

Sadly, too, we rarely hear mea culpa from those that hate Trump simply for being Trump.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
As with every hair-on-fire story blaming president Trump’s words, actions, his very visage, for everything from global warming to teenage acne, when the facts later become known, we learn it’s all BS.

Saldy, there are still too many here who revel in joining the fray while the lies are still fresh. Sad, indeed.

Sadly, too, we rarely hear mea culpa from those that hate Trump simply for being Trump.

Morning, @aligncare

Last night while posting, I realized I've been angry now going over a decade.

Eight years of Barack Obama and Crew and 3 years of Never Trump (one of those years during Obama).

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Feel very badly for my children...who have decades to witness the destruction of this great Republic.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline endicom

H-D couldn't have pulled out of a hat what requires extensive planning. They want to go global, tariffs or not.

Offline aligncare

Morning, @aligncare

Last night while posting, I realized I've been angry now going over a decade.

Eight years of Barack Obama and Crew and 3 years of Never Trump (one of those years during Obama).

I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Feel very badly for my children...who have decades to witness the destruction of this great Republic.

I hear you, brother @DCPatriot. With all the good President Trump’s accomplishing, it sickens me that it gets buried under tons of mainstream media garbage.

Harley-Davidson was on its death bed when President Reagan threw it a life line by imposing tariffs, and we all cheered. President Trump uses targeted tariffs as leverage to renegotiate trade agreement, and NT republicans are aghast. We’re used to democrat double standards, but now we’re having to live with republican double standards – all because of NeverTrumper hate.