Author Topic: Laura Ingalls Wilder's name pulled from library award over 'stereotypical attitudes' in her popular  (Read 4594 times)

Online mountaineer

If you don't mind the language, you may really love this:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Bill Cipher

Offline Applewood

@mountaineer

I love it! 

Wonder if he lost his job over this. 

Online mountaineer

Apparently, playing a reporter, "Jonathan Pie," is his comedy act. I loved the video!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online roamer_1

:silly: :silly: :silly:
This is an epic rant.

:beer:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Apparently, playing a reporter, "Jonathan Pie," is his comedy act. I loved the video!

"Anti-Fascist is the default setting"

LOL
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Applewood

Thanks @mountaineer   I didn't know who he was.  Thought he was a reporter.

He is spot on.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
What a glorious bloody rant!

Language aside, I loved it!

(Not particularly offended, I have heard/used those words before, and in this case, you just run out of emphatic words at some point.)

What we are seeing is the Bowdlerization of classical authors, children's books, cartoons, the works, along the lines of who just might conceivably be offended by whatever..

This was done to Shakespeare, with only a scattering of the jokes left for the (now relatively highbrow) penny stinkers in the globe, removing enough comic relief that English Lit teachers could flog students humorlessly with tragedy and comedy alike.

Strip the sense of culture from a culture, and you might as well paint everything battleship gray and make the interior decorators get a construction job.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 11:14:00 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline skeeter

Hilarious, thanks.

But darn it I thought @Wingnut was back.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
Hilarious, thanks.

So did I.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
A couple of years ago I was searching for material in my local library that debunked or at least gave the opposing argument for "climate change." I found a dearth of resources, yet there were numerous resources making the case for "climate change." The librarian helped me search for material within the Texas library system, and we did find a few. At some point during our interaction, she managed to insinuate her opinion and expressed her disapproval of my stance on "climate change." I'm pretty sure sharing her personal opinion is not part of her job description. I was taken aback that she felt the need to voice her disapproval of my reading choices, so I wasn't ready with a snappy comeback.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Smokin Joe

A couple of years ago I was searching for material in my local library that debunked or at least gave the opposing argument for "climate change." I found a dearth of resources, yet there were numerous resources making the case for "climate change." The librarian helped me search for material within the Texas library system, and we did find a few. At some point during our interaction, she managed to insinuate her opinion and expressed her disapproval of my stance on "climate change." I'm pretty sure sharing her personal opinion is not part of her job description. I was taken aback that she felt the need to voice her disapproval of my reading choices, so I wasn't ready with a snappy comeback.
I make remarks like "I'm a geologist, so I understand your concerns. After 4.6 billion years of climate change, you just want it to stop."

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Isn't there something ironic about renaming something a "Children's Literature Legacy Award" while at the same time erasing such a huge figure in children's literature?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Hilarious, thanks.

Wingnut was something else.  You know that thing in your head that keeps you from saying stuff you probably shouldn't?  Well...his was broken.

I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

Wingnut was something else.  You know that thing in your head that keeps you from saying stuff you probably shouldn't?  Well...his was broken.

Yeah... What a mutt, right?

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
I make remarks like "I'm a geologist, so I understand your concerns. After 4.6 billion years of climate change, you just want it to stop."

@Smokin Joe

:silly: Where were you when I needed you?! Just so you know, I'm stealing it. 

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Mine works pretty good, it just runs a little slower than my mouth.

Your eyes look a little glazed occifer, you been eating donuts?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Smokin Joe

@Smokin Joe

:silly: Where were you when I needed you?! Just so you know, I'm stealing it.
You have my blessings, and you can't steal what is freely given. :seeya: :beer:

C S Lewis

Offline verga

So, let me get this right.  They're systematically removing any history of America's racist past?  Fascinating.
First you erase it, then you deny it, next you forget it, and finally you repeat it.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Polly Ticks

First you erase it, then you deny it, next you forget it, and finally you repeat it.

But where do the reparations fit into that cycle??
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline verga

If you still need that material I can highly recommend these two:
https://smile.amazon.com/Unstoppable-Global-Warming-Updated-Expanded/dp/0742551245/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_1?keywords=Unavoidable+climate+change+every+1500+years&qid=1566390382&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr3

https://smile.amazon.com/Confessions-Greenpeace-Dropout-Sensible-Environmentalist/dp/0986480827/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=patrick+Moore&qid=1566390483&s=gateway&sr=8-1
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

Maybe the funniest poster ever here at TBR.  Sorely missed.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
dfw wrote:
"Pretty soon, any white person born before 1900 is going to be persona non grata"

Sorry, have to correct this:
"Pretty soon, any white person born before 1900 is going to be persona non grata"

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Nice video in reply 25 above (by mountaineer).

Kinda reminds me of a young Pat Condell gone over the edge !

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
dfw wrote:

There is no known person living today who was born before 1900.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley