Author Topic: New York State Spends $1.4 Million on an Old Movie Theater To Create 6 Jobs  (Read 2010 times)

rangerrebew

New York State Spends $1.4 Million on an Old Movie Theater To Create 6 Jobs
Many subsidies for the film industry cost taxpayers more and create even less.

Nikhil Sridhar|Jun. 23, 2018 10:00 am

Caro / Sorge/NewscomCaro / Sorge/NewscomA New York state agency meant to foster economic growth says spending over $1 million dollars to rebuild an old movie theater in one of the state's richest counties will create a mere six jobs.

Unfortunately, when it comes to subsidizing movies—whether making them or showing them—that's pretty typical.

On Saturday, New York state officials participated in the groundbreaking for the Sag Harbor Cinema Arts Center. The center will reportedly "restore the Sag Harbor Cinema and preserve the showing of independent, foreign and documentary films on the East End of Long Island."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/06/23/show-biz-glitz-glamour-and-subsidies

Oceander

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
New York State Spends $1.4 Million on an Old Movie Theater To Create 6 Jobs
Many subsidies for the film industry cost taxpayers more and create even less.

Nikhil Sridhar|Jun. 23, 2018 10:00 am

Caro / Sorge/NewscomCaro / Sorge/NewscomA New York state agency meant to foster economic growth says spending over $1 million dollars to rebuild an old movie theater in one of the state's richest counties will create a mere six jobs.

Unfortunately, when it comes to subsidizing movies—whether making them or showing them—that's pretty typical.

On Saturday, New York state officials participated in the groundbreaking for the Sag Harbor Cinema Arts Center. The center will reportedly "restore the Sag Harbor Cinema and preserve the showing of independent, foreign and documentary films on the East End of Long Island."

https://reason.com/blog/2018/06/23/show-biz-glitz-glamour-and-subsidies

Hmmm,I wonder who the General Contractor was,and what is  his relationship with local pols.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Oceander

Hmmm,I wonder who the General Contractor was,and what is  his relationship with local pols.

And how carefully the payola was structured. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And how carefully the payola was structured.

@Oceander

There can NEVER be any question about that. These are pros we are talking about. Maybe even multi-generational pros.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

And the Union bosses.   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Oceander

And the Union bosses.   

Yup. Can’t forget those maggots. 

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Yup. Can’t forget those maggots.

Once all that graft was payed out to grease the wheels and line pockets... 6 jobs sounds like it might have been a little on the high side. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline andy58-in-nh

Wonderful. Now all of those liberal multimillionaires in the Hamptons will have a nice, trendy little arts theatre to be seen at while attending films that they pretend to care about at dinner parties.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn