Author Topic: 6.5 CREEDMOOR vs .308 Winchester  (Read 2049 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
6.5 CREEDMOOR vs .308 Winchester
« on: June 18, 2018, 08:59:46 pm »
Primary Arms 6/18/2018

Let the Battle Begin

.308 Winchester (.308 Win) is arguably the most popular short-action big game hunting caliber in the world. It’s tough to name a rifle caliber more proven on the hunt, in law enforcement use, or for precision competition. .308 Winchester’s balance of power, accuracy, and affordability have made it one of the most popular choices for use in a huge variety of firearms for over 60 years. Thanks to modern bullet and propellant technology, today’s .308 Win is better than ever.

Times change and technology advances. Competition shooters, always trying to gain an edge, were looking for a way to improve on .308 Win’s best attributes. Enter 6.5 Creedmoor (6.5 CM). This extremely efficient cartridge had to defeat some other worthy contenders to gain its popularity. After long range competitors started flocking to 6.5 CM, hunters took notice as well. Most recently, the US Special Operations Command has turned to the 6.5 CM as a possible replacement for 7.62 NATO Designated Marksman Rifles. In this caliber battle, 6.5 CM is the contender coming out swinging, but can it land a knockout punch to .308 Win? The barrel chambering is the only difference between rifles in either caliber, so which one should you go with? Let the battle begin!

Three-Oh-Great

The year is 1952, and the Cold War threatens to heat up at any time. Every weapon system must be improved and optimized, from strategic nuclear weapons to the rifle carried by every “GI Joe”. As the Korean War rages, our servicemen are using the WWII era .30-06 cartridge in their M1 Garand rifles. Ammunition maker Winchester has been working with the military to produce a fully automatic version of the M1 Garand using a detachable 20-round box magazine. Winchester develops the ammunition for this project, using a more efficient boat-tail bullet and new “ball” type gunpowder allowing a shorter casing length. The new caliber is such a winner that they release it to the civilian market first as .308 Winchester. Military adoption as the 7.62x51 NATO cartridge for all NATO countries follows two years later in 1954, and the full auto M1 Garand project became the iconic M14 rifle, adopted by the US Army in 1959. 

There are technical differences between the civilian .308 Win and the military 7.62 NATO, but they are so minor that SAAMI, America’s watchdog for ammunition standards, considers them safely interchangeable regardless of which exact version your rifle is chambered for.  The military M80 specification loading uses a 147 grain bullet, but current bullet weights for the civilian .308 Win range from 125 grain bullets all the way up to 200 grain bullets.

Six-Point-Five Fever

6.5 Creedmoor was conceived in 2005 when famed long distance record holder Dennis DeMille was challenged by a friend to come up with his requirements for a perfect High Power Rifle Competition caliber. DeMille brought his friend a “wish list” including less recoil than .308 Winchester, relatively good barrel life, and a high efficiency, “flat shooting” bullet to promote maximum accuracy at extended ranges. DeMille’s friend was Dave Emary, the senior ballistician at Hornady Manufacturing, Inc. and one of the few people in the world capable of turning DeMille’s wish list into reality. Although it’s easy to assume 6.5 CM grew out of .308 Win, that isn’t true. Emary necked down the forgettable .30 TC casing to accept a smaller 6.5mm bullet, and named the result after Creedmoor, New York, where legendary long range competitions were held just after the founding of the National Rifle Association in the 1800s.

6.5 CM was officially introduced by Hornady in 2007 as a target shooting caliber suitable for either bolt action or semi-automatic rifles. Long range competition shooters also experimented with several other 6.5mm calibers promising similar performance, including the 6.5x47 Lapua and the excellent .260 Remington. In the years that followed, 6.5 CM first had to prove that it was the best of the new 6.5mm calibers before it could build up enough popularity to challenge .308 Win. Bullets compatible with 6.5 CM measure .264” wide and vary from 120 grains to 155 grains in weight.

Let the battle begin!

The Primary Arms Battle E-mail Series takes you through side-by-side comparisons to help you choose which round is best for you. As we compare the two, we have chosen several categories that will assist you with your buying decision.

More: http://news.primaryarms.com/q/uDyo08x3j4XwaE_PbuAjNzyNBXj6T5wkNPDz3XuvmMIG-yGQcuCAGg6WD

Offline thackney

Re: 6.5 CREEDMOOR vs .308 Winchester
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 09:06:37 pm »
I've bought from Primary Arms back before they moved into the bigger store.  I didn't know they did news articles.  I cannot find how to get to them from their home page.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 09:19:40 pm »
I've bought from Primary Arms back before they moved into the bigger store.  I didn't know they did news articles.  I cannot find how to get to them from their home page.
@thackney

You can't. I found the link at the very bottom of the e-mail I just received from them.

I purchased, from them, many of the components for my first AR-15, a 6.5 Grendel, and just recently many parts for an upper, in 358 Yeti.

My first rifle purchase was a short action Rem700 in 243 Win. I used it for many years, but wanted more performance. I rebarreled it to .308Win, but I didn't even hunt with it before I rebarreled it again to 6.5 x 47 Lapua. And I've settled on the 6.5. That's why I built my first AR in 6.5.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 09:36:11 pm by Elderberry »

Offline thackney

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 11:51:49 am »
@thackney

You can't. I found the link at the very bottom of the e-mail I just received from them.

I purchased, from them, many of the components for my first AR-15, a 6.5 Grendel, and just recently many parts for an upper, in 358 Yeti.

My first rifle purchase was a short action Rem700 in 243 Win. I used it for many years, but wanted more performance. I rebarreled it to .308Win, but I didn't even hunt with it before I rebarreled it again to 6.5 x 47 Lapua. And I've settled on the 6.5. That's why I built my first AR in 6.5.

I bought my AR in 7.62x39.  When I get back to it, it is my hog gun with a night scope.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 12:41:46 pm »
I bought my AR in 7.62x39.  When I get back to it, it is my hog gun with a night scope.
@thackney

Night scope? Night vision, red dot, or illuminated reticle?

I went with the Sightmark Core TX 1-4x24 on my 358Yeti. It has an illuminated reticle. On my MAS49/56 I have an IR/red/green laser and scope. I also have an Armasight Spark CORE nightvision monocular. I use it with a helmet mount.

Offline thackney

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 12:51:25 pm »
I believe this is the model I bought.  I haven't seen it or most my guns since Harvey.  Once my replacement keys for the gun cabinets come in, I'll have them brought back.

I wanted a 100 yard night hog gun.

Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42
http://www.sightmark.com/product.php?item=256

CMOS sensor
640 x 480 pixels
LED IR
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 12:51:57 pm by thackney »