Author Topic: Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot  (Read 3113 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
California residents will get a chance to vote on a measure to divide the Golden State into three separate states, election officials said Tuesday.

Proponents of the CAL 3 initiative submitted more than 402,468 valid signatures as of Tuesday, making it eligible for the Nov. 6 general election ballot, according to the California Secretary of State’s office.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/proposal-split-california-three-states-makes-november-ballot-085603479--abc-news-topstories.html
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:01:17 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: AMERICAN THINKER

URL: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/06/referendum_to_split_calif_into_three_states_will_appear_on_the_november_ballot.html

by Thomas Lifson

A colossal waste of time, money, and the public's attention span is underway in the golden state.

Casey Tolan of the Mercury-News reports:

For the first time since before the Civil War, voters across California will decide in November on a proposal to split up the Golden State – potentially remaking it into three new states.

An initiative dividing California, pushed by Silicon Valley venture capital investor Tim Draper, received enough signatures to qualify it for the November ballot, the Secretary of State's office confirmed Tuesday afternoon.

Supporters of the radical plan submitted more than 600,000 signatures, and a random sample projected that enough are valid that the measure can go before voters, setting up a campaign that is sure to attract a carnivalesque atmosphere and only-in-California chuckles from across the country.

Here is how the measure proposes to divide the land:

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline SirLinksALot

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I don't consider this a colossal waste of time.  Rather, I think it's a step in the right direction.  California is a fractured state with large parts of it conservative people suffering under a clueless liberal government. 

It probably won't pass the first time out but if it makes a decent showing that might cause the liberal section to think ... if they are capable of doing so.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It's going to be very interesting.

Oceander

Wish it would happen.  Anything to dilute the power of California. 

Offline edpc

Leftists are all about control.  They vastly outnumber people on the right there. I find it hard to believe they’d relinquish it.

Offline cato potatoe

There are plenty of conservatives, but they are vastly outnumbered in all three areas.  An effective partition would have cordoned off LA county and followed the coast up to Humboldt, including the East Bay and Sacramento.  What is left may be governable.

Offline GrouchoTex

No, this is not a good idea.

Democratic senators from here would become 4 to 6, instead of 2, if this goes through.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:35:10 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline edpc

No, this is not a good idea.

Democratic senators from here would become 4 to 6, instead of 2, if this goes through.

How do the proposed boundaries line up with congressional districts? 

Offline GrouchoTex

How do the proposed boundaries line up with congressional districts?

I don't know if it will matter.

If they have cross overs, they'll just redraw them.
The party in power will get to do that.

Offline skeeter

There are plenty of conservatives, but they are vastly outnumbered in all three areas.  An effective partition would have cordoned off LA county and followed the coast up to Humboldt, including the East Bay and Sacramento.  What is left may be governable.

The way its illustrated above looks as though Southern California has a very good chance of being at least a swing state.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:51:12 pm by skeeter »

Offline GrouchoTex

The way its illustrated above looks as though Southern California has a very good chance of being at least a swing state.

If so, it's a wash, they add 2 senators, we add 2 senators.

If not, it a Democratic gain of 2 more states.

So we have the chance of breaking even or losing an additional 2 senate seats that right now don't exist.

Heck of a Deal!

I'd vote no.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Leftists are all about control.  They vastly outnumber people on the right there. I find it hard to believe they’d relinquish it.

Yeah.  I doubt they are going to let money and resources just slip away from their control.

Even if the people overwhelmingly vote to split - the Left and the Government will shop for a judge to invalidate the will of the voters.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If so, it's a wash, they add 2 senators, we add 2 senators.

If not, it a Democratic gain of 2 more states.

So we have the chance of breaking even or losing an additional 2 senate seats that right now don't exist.

Heck of a Deal!

I'd vote no.

It's worse than that.  If "Southern California" is a swing state, that means the best we do is that the Democrats get four more Senators, and we get two more Senators, so that's a break even from the status quo.  So the "upside" is a break even.

But if that swing state goes the other way, that means that instead of current California having two Dem Senators, the three state version gets six.  No way.  That's a huge downside.

Offline GrouchoTex

It's worse than that.  If "Southern California" is a swing state, that means the best we do is that the Democrats get four more Senators, and we get two more Senators, so that's a break even from the status quo.  So the "upside" is a break even.

But if that swing state goes the other way, that means that instead of current California having two Dem Senators, the three state version gets six.  No way.  That's a huge downside.

That is what I am tryng to say
California now has 2 dem senators.
Split into 3, it would have 2 in "Cal" and 2 in "NorCal",  and "SoCal" may have 2 GOP senators, so that would be a wash.
each party gains 2 that didn't previously exist.

However, "SoCal" could elect 1 each or 2 dems.

Best case scenario is break even, worse is to lose the 1 or 2 we would be counting on in "SoCal", going over to the dems.

It is really not a swing of 6, but only 4 max (still not good) as the Dems aren't likely to lose the 2 they have now, from whatever region, if nothing changes at all.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: Proposal to split California into three states makes November ballot
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 06:28:33 pm »
Threads merged.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2018, 08:06:02 pm »
Threads merged.

Horrible splitting of the State, me thinks.  Orange County south and east would be better.  L.A. north to the San Francisco area.  Then the northern area should be the Jefferson area.  They already consider themselves a state, anyway.

It will not happen for a long time.  This has been in the plans for decades already.

*****rollingeyes*****
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2018, 08:09:14 pm »
Horrible splitting of the State, me thinks.  Orange County south and east would be better.  L.A. north to the San Francisco area.  Then the northern area should be the Jefferson area.  They already consider themselves a state, anyway.

It will not happen for a long time.  This has been in the plans for decades already.

*****rollingeyes*****

I could take upto 4 election cycles to pass.   We shall see.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline dfwgator

Wish it would happen.  Anything to dilute the power of California.

All it will do is turn it into a three-headed monster.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
All it will do is turn it into a three-headed monster.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."