Author Topic: Corey Stewart, Confederate symbols defender, wins GOP nomination in Virginia Senate race  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Suppressed

Corey Stewart, Confederate symbols defender, wins GOP nomination in Virginia Senate race
By Eric Bradner, CNN
Updated 10:18 PM ET, Tue June 12, 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/12/politics/virginia-senate-race-corey-stewart/index.html

Washington (CNN) -- Corey Stewart, the bombastic conservative who built his public image on championing Confederate symbols, won the Republican Senate nomination in Virginia.

Stewart, a member of the Prince William County Board of Supervisors, defeated state House member Nick Freitas and minister E.W. Jackson in Tuesday's primary. Freitas conceded the race Tuesday night, according to local media.

He now faces Democratic Sen. Tim Kaine, the party's 2016 vice presidential nominee and a heavy favorite for re-election, in November's midterm election.

Republicans immediately expressed concern about the damage Stewart's candidacy could do to the party and its other candidates.

"I am extremely disappointed that a candidate like Corey Stewart could win the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate," former Virginia Republican Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling tweeted. "This is clearly not the Republican Party I once knew, loved and proudly served. Every time I think things can't get worse they do, and there is no end in sight."

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Mods, please move to State Government if that's more fitting. 
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Frank Cannon

"I am extremely disappointed that a candidate like Corey Stewart could win the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate," former Virginia Republican Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling tweeted.

Oh yeah Billy? Maybe you should have picked some better competition against him. If there is a problem here, it is your fault after all. You clowns are running the state party. 

Offline Suppressed

"I am extremely disappointed that a candidate like Corey Stewart could win the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate," former Virginia Republican Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling tweeted.

Oh yeah Billy? Maybe you should have picked some better competition against him. If there is a problem here, it is your fault after all. You clowns are running the state party.

I'm disappointed that Nick Freitas didn't win.

You might recall one of his speeches...

! No longer available

+++++++++

Offline Frank Cannon

Well there is obviously a reason this guy lost and the other guy won. Local politics are local politics, so maybe this stupid flag issue is a winner down there. My problem here is that a muckity muck in the state party apparatus couldn't wait to take a shit on his parties nominee for the seat. It's bullshit.

Offline Hoodat

Republicans immediately expressed concern about the damage Stewart's candidacy could do to the party and its other candidates.

In other words, the Virginia GOP will once again be working hard to get the Democrat candidate elected.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline cato potatoe

Somehow I don't forsee Virginia sending an alt-righty to the Senate.  Kaine is annoying, but he has a reliable base in the suburbs.

Offline Frank Cannon

In other words, the Virginia GOP will once again be working hard to get the Democrat candidate elected.

Yeah. I'm looking into this nobody Lt Gov who is spouting off. He is a real piece of garbage....

In early 2008, Bolling and then-Attorney General McDonnell struck a deal in which Bolling agreed to run for re-election as lieutenant governor to allow McDonnell to run unopposed for governor in 2009, in exchange for McDonnell's support for Bolling for governor in 2013.[9] The deal was widely known and as such, Bolling was effectively running for governor since 2009,[10] and in April 2010, Bolling filed the necessary paperwork to run in 2013.[11] Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, elected alongside McDonnell and Bolling in 2009, stated that he intended to run for re-election as attorney general in 2013, but did not rule out running for governor.[12] In December 2011, Cuccinelli announced to his staff that he would run against Bolling for governor in 2013; the news went public, and in response, Bolling issued a statement accusing Cuccinelli of putting "his own personal ambition ahead of the best interests of the commonwealth and the Republican Party."[13] Cuccinelli's announcement came two days before the annual statewide conference of Virginia Republicans, at which Bolling and his staff expressed being upset with Cuccinelli's decision.[14]

In 2012, Bolling was the Virginia state Chairman of Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential campaign,[15] a position he hoped to use to curry favor from a potential Romney administration and increase his own name recognition among state Republicans.[9] Through the second quarter of 2012, Bolling had a significant edge in fundraising over Cuccinelli.[16] However, Cuccinelli had a wide lead in early polling - a June 2012 poll of Virginia Republicans showed 51% supported Cuccinelli for governor compared to just 15% for Bolling.[17] Further diminishing Bolling's hopes was a June 2012 decision by the Republican Party of Virginia's State Central Committee to determine the nominee for governor at a statewide convention of Republicans rather than an open primary. A convention was thought to favor Cuccinelli because state Republican conventions in Virginia are typically dominated by conservatives, who overwhelmingly backed Cuccinelli. In contrast, Bolling's support came mostly from moderates.[18][19]

Offline Hoodat

Yeah. I'm looking into this nobody Lt Gov who is spouting off. He is a real piece of garbage....

You got that right.  After Cuccinelli won the nomination, Bolling worked with state GOP Party officials to deprive Cuccinelli of funds by sending state funds to New Jersey to help Chris Christie.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Exactly.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Stewart won because Jackson was running. This always happens when you have 3 candidates.

Stewart is no better or worse than any other candidate. The media will hate the Republican no matter what.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Clips I have seen from Stewart indicate he is a pro-Flag , Monument Heritage defender.   Of course the slime from the left will paint anyone in this vein a racist.

Mr. Stewart, you have long odds, but my support.  Our ancestors thank you.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
All Republicans are racist according to the media so it's a yawner. Blahblahblah....Whatever.

The local media will run footage of the Charlottesville debacle non-stop until the election. White Nationalists...blahblahblah....Macaca!
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

Looks like the Virginia GOP chose poorly last night.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Looks like the Virginia GOP chose poorly last night.

Democrats could vote in the Republican primary and I imagine they chose Stewart as the best candidate to hurt the party. This happens frequently.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It would be a true joy, after seeing months and months of the media telling Virginians "you're not allowed to think those thoughts, have those beliefs, express those notions" to have them turn around and say:

"Watch us."

Even those DANGEROUS (/sarc) "white nationalists," (I'm not even talking white supremacists here, either! There is a key difference) pilloried for a simple march with backyard torches(!) as some lynch mob, have the right to come to the conclusions they do, whether the Prevailing Dogma likes it or not. They have just as much a right to exist as, say, Black Lives Matter. Or the alphabet soup lobby, which was once equally unpopular.

It all boils down to the Left truly believing that anyone who isn't in lockstep with their cultural views is a traitor, right up to President Trump. It ironically runs directly counter to the principles of free expression on which this country was founded. So tell me, then: who are the real traitors?

Go Corey.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:04:46 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
Clips I have seen from Stewart indicate he is a pro-Flag , Monument Heritage defender.   Of course the slime from the left will paint anyone in this vein a racist.

Mr. Stewart, you have long odds, but my support.  Our ancestors thank you.

@catfish1957 it's not just the "slime from the left" who will smear Stewart.  They'll have plenty of help from the squish's on the right as well.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Silver Pines

We didn't vote for him and that's not going to change, and we based our decision on his friendship and business relationship with Paul Nehlen, who is an absolutely virulent anti-Semite.  Stewart claims he never knew.  Bullcrap.  All you had to do was take a look at the nutcase ravings on his Twitter timeline; it was universally known.  Yet Stewart called him a personal hero?

To hell with him..  The GOP has itself another Roy Moore type.

Offline Frank Cannon

No. Virginia has another Roy Moore, which says more about the quality of people in Virginia than it does about the quality of the GOP at large.

Silver Pines

No. Virginia has another Roy Moore, which says more about the quality of people in Virginia than it does about the quality of the GOP at large.

@Frank Cannon

No, he's the GOP's. The guy at the top of the pack loves him, and there are plenty hardcore Trump fans in Virginia.

You don't get Virginia, Frank, and that's totally okay.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
We didn't vote for him and that's not going to change, and we based our decision on his friendship and business relationship with Paul Nehlen, who is an absolutely virulent anti-Semite.  Stewart claims he never knew.  Bullcrap.  All you had to do was take a look at the nutcase ravings on his Twitter timeline; it was universally known.  Yet Stewart called him a personal hero?

So you like Paul Ryan?

No surprise from Lying Leigh Corfman's greatest defenders on this board.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

You don't get Virginia, Frank, and that's totally okay.

I totally get Virginia. From your description, a full out Klansman was nominated as the GOP Senate candidate by it's voters. We don't do that in PA and we are full tilt Trump crazy in the GOP base. We voted for the awesome Mayor Lou for a Senate candidate. He's a class act.

BTW, despite what you said, Trump never endorsed anyone in that race.

Silver Pines

So you like Paul Ryan?

No surprise from Lying Leigh Corfman's greatest defenders on this board.

@jmyrlefuller, take your woman issues elsewhere, don't try to work them out on me.  Would you prefer this man over Paul Ryan? 

Silver Pines

I totally get Virginia. From your description, a full out Klansman was nominated as the GOP Senate candidate by it's voters. We don't do that in PA and we are full tilt Trump crazy in the GOP base. We voted for the awesome Mayor Lou for a Senate candidate. He's a class act.

BTW, despite what you said, Trump never endorsed anyone in that race.

@Frank Cannon

Pennsylvania?!

Lmao

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon

Pennsylvania?!

Lmao

You're laughing, but what racists/bigots did we vote for?

BTW....