Author Topic: Tech support request  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Suppressed

Tech support request
« on: June 13, 2018, 12:21:10 am »
Win 7
When I turn the system on, from the moment I see the motherboard logo, through the POST, into booting Windows 7 (safe mode or not), the screen briefly flashes on and then back to black, about every 2 seconds.

Before I tear things apart, any suggestions?  I have another HDMI monitor I could try, but I'm guessing the video card...should I pull it out and replace it? Is there anything else I can do?

Computer is not in very accessible setup, which is why I'm asking up front.

Thanks in advance!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online roamer_1

Re: Tech support request
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:26:56 am »
Hi @Suppressed .
Yes, by all means plug it into an external monitor. If the symptoms persist on the ext mon, then you are likely right that it is the vid card. If the symptoms are relieved on the ext mon, then it is either a mechanical issue with the onboard monitor, or an issue with the driver for that monitor.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 12:28:50 am »
Trying the other monitor would be the first step. Reseating the circuit boards and replugging the connectors could help, especially if the puter is getting old. Seeing what you get without the video board might help.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 12:30:13 am »
Thanks...I'll see what I find out!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 12:32:11 am »
Addendum: \

@Suppressed
If you have a VGA OUT port on the laptop, and a suitable monitor, that is a better choice, as VGA is the simplest system, and the most likely to work under duress.

DL a live Linux like Knoppix, and either grind it to a CD, or put it on a thumb and boot to it - If problems do not persist under Linux, then the problem is with the onboard OS, and not the actual hardware.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:34:21 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 01:36:59 am »
Addendum: \

@Suppressed
If you have a VGA OUT port on the laptop, and a suitable monitor, that is a better choice, as VGA is the simplest system, and the most likely to work under duress.

DL a live Linux like Knoppix, and either grind it to a CD, or put it on a thumb and boot to it - If problems do not persist under Linux, then the problem is with the onboard OS, and not the actual hardware.

Thanks!  I'm going to have to get that Linux CD put together now, before I have another failure.

I'm glad I asked before tearing into my system.  In messing around to get the other monitor hooked up here, I had plugged back into the original monitor and it worked.  Previous messing with the connections hadn't helped, but I guess this monitor got jealous of the other one being brought in! 

Thanks to you both, @roamer_1 and @endicom!  You saved me a hassle...and possibly going out to buy a bitmining-inflated video card! 
+++++++++

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 01:40:32 am »
Thanks!  I'm going to have to get that Linux CD put together now, before I have another failure.

I'm glad I asked before tearing into my system.  In messing around to get the other monitor hooked up here, I had plugged back into the original monitor and it worked.  Previous messing with the connections hadn't helped, but I guess this monitor got jealous of the other one being brought in! 

Thanks to you both, @roamer_1 and @endicom!  You saved me a hassle...and possibly going out to buy a bitmining-inflated video card!

Great! Glad you got it sorted. Sounds like the old monitor driver got drunk and fell in a ditch. Plugging in the new monitor discarded the old driver instance, and going back to the original required the driver anew. Viola!

:beer:

Offline endicom

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 01:42:33 am »

We at PFM Associates are proud to claim another success.