Author Topic: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD  (Read 33761 times)

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD
« Reply #575 on: June 13, 2018, 02:10:09 pm »
He hasn’t gotten anything done!

Except now he’s nominated for the Nobel peace prize - just like Obastard.

To be fair, Trump did a lot more to deserve the nomination for such a worthless 'award' than His Heinous did.

They awarded him the 'prize' simply because he was president.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #576 on: June 13, 2018, 02:10:38 pm »
"Who gave "most favored nation" status to China? Have people ever even spoken about this?"
I recall watching the Republican platform debates on this around 1990.  While there was a lot of sentiment against giving the godless commies MFN status, the position that won the day was that the only way we were getting any opening up was via the cultural exchanges and the like that were a part of MFN status.   If we didn't get them opened up, they could continue whatever abuses they wanted, without their people being exposed to other viewpoints, and without us having any leverage.
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak

I was in Hong Kong just before it became part of China again in 1997.  It was a fantastic city, so many products being made there.  I bought Members Only jackets made there for $5 each.  Both of us had suits made; took two days for completed suit.  Had heavy gold bracelet made in one day.

Then we went to China, by water boat.  When we got off boat, customs wrote down every jewelry item we had on.  Before we got there we were told to leave our jewelry at our hotel, except for wedding rings.  Your watch was inspected and written down.  The reason for this was, the govn. didn't want us to give a Chinese anything so that Chinese person would have something another didn't have.

The Chinese govn. determined where we could go and govn. agent stayed with us. In a village we were told every household had the same number of plates, cups, bowls - no one had something another didn't have.

I thought of Hong Kong having to go to this when the Chinese took it over in a few months after we were there.  We were told companies in Hong Kong had already sent their money out of Hong Kong so the Chinese govn. would not take it.
We were taken to a govn. building for lunch.  We were taken to one govn. store to buy items. I got a tea pot and cups as I bought those in every country I visited.

When we left China, customs counted our jewelry and compared it to what we had when we got there.  At some point, I contracted the Chinese flu.  Was very sick person on the flight back home.  Went to doctor when got home.  He said I didn't have pneumonia and gave me meds to get over this flu.  I wouldn't go back to China.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:11:26 pm by Victoria33 »

Oceander

« Reply #577 on: June 13, 2018, 02:12:05 pm »
To be fair, Trump did a lot more to deserve the nomination for such a worthless 'award' than His Heinous did.

They awarded him the 'prize' simply because he was president.

Fair enough.  I agree with you on that point. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #578 on: June 13, 2018, 02:16:22 pm »
@txradioguy
Oh BS, 6 months ago everyone thought either Trump was gonna launch on NK or they were gonna launch on us.   Face it, the summit was a good thing and all your whining doesn't change that fact.

Who's this mysterious "everyone" you speak of? I don't recall anyone here saying that. I know I didn't say anything close to that.

The "summit" was a nothing burger. A photo op that accomplished nothing.

What everyone should honestly wait to see the results of...is what comes out of the meetings going on now that the camera lights have been turned off.

The stuff happening as we speak away from the cameras in Singapore will tell us if the Norks are serious or not.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 02:19:31 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #579 on: June 13, 2018, 02:20:55 pm »
You're an open book.  It doesn't take mind reading to see what you're trying to do.

And you're the one being disingenuous by defending Trump talking to one of the biggest human rights violators in the world by saying "well...ISIS is worse".

That's such a simplistic and simpleton knee jerk response it boggles the mind.

Tell me...which country in the middle east has ISIS established a recognized government in?

You're comparing a nebulous terrorist organization to the leader of a country.

**nononono*

All you do is insult people, you can't put together a cogent argument so you rely on personal attacks. Go take your vitriol elsewhere.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #580 on: June 13, 2018, 02:21:45 pm »
@Suppressed
@mystery-ak

I was in Hong Kong just before it became part of China again in 1997.  It was a fantastic city, so many products being made there.  I bought Members Only jackets made there for $5 each.  Both of us had suits made; took two days for completed suit.  Had heavy gold bracelet made in one day.

Then we went to China, by water boat.  When we got off boat, customs wrote down every jewelry item we had on.  Before we got there we were told to leave our jewelry at our hotel, except for wedding rings.  Your watch was inspected and written down.  The reason for this was, the govn. didn't want us to give a Chinese anything so that Chinese person would have something another didn't have.

The Chinese govn. determined where we could go and govn. agent stayed with us. In a village we were told every household had the same number of plates, cups, bowls - no one had something another didn't have.

I thought of Hong Kong having to go to this when the Chinese took it over in a few months after we were there.  We were told companies in Hong Kong had already sent their money out of Hong Kong so the Chinese govn. would not take it.
We were taken to a govn. building for lunch.  We were taken to one govn. store to buy items. I got a tea pot and cups as I bought those in every country I visited.

When we left China, customs counted our jewelry and compared it to what we had when we got there.  At some point, I contracted the Chinese flu.  Was very sick person on the flight back home.  Went to doctor when got home.  He said I didn't have pneumonia and gave me meds to get over this flu.  I wouldn't go back to China.

@Sanguine
If you are looking at posts not directly on topic, why not comment on this one?

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #581 on: June 13, 2018, 02:22:15 pm »
Who's this mysterious "everyone" you speak of? I don't recall anyone here saying that. I know I didn't say anything close to that.

What everyone should honestly wait to see the results of...is what comes out of the meetings going on now that the camera lights have been turned off.

The stuff happening as we speak away from the cameras in Singapore will tell us if the Norks are serious or not.

One sign of potential 'success' is for the Norks to let in Inspectors to verify any supposed 'denuclearization'.

Until that happens, all this Singapore meeting was, is Trump handing Lil' Kim and the Norks an acknowledgement of legitimacy and recognition as a 'good guy'.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #582 on: June 13, 2018, 02:23:19 pm »
All you do is insult people, you can't put together a cogent argument so you rely on personal attacks. Go take your vitriol elsewhere.

Why don't you just admit you can't come back with a defense for the facts in pointed out that totally deconstruct your straw man argument and move on?

Oh and by the way....pointing out the factual inaccuracies in your straw man argument isn't a personal attack.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #583 on: June 13, 2018, 02:25:17 pm »
Why don't you just admit you can't come back with a defense for the facts in pointed out that totally deconstruct your straw man argument and move on?

Oh and by the way....pointing out the factual inaccuracies in your straw man argument isn't a personal attack.

C'mon Tx, you should know by now - disagreement IS a personal attack in this brave new normal.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #584 on: June 13, 2018, 02:26:19 pm »

@txradioguy

That statement is 100% pure,  USDA choice, bovine fecal matter.  And you know it!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #585 on: June 13, 2018, 02:27:32 pm »
One sign of potential 'success' is for the Norks to let in Inspectors to verify any supposed 'denuclearization'.

Until that happens, all this Singapore meeting was, is Trump handing Lil' Kim and the Norks an acknowledgement of legitimacy and recognition as a 'good guy'.

Excellent point. The real measure of Trump successfully getting Kim to meet face to face is what happens now that the respective leaders are back home.

I want this to be a success. But it's very premature to claim all the accolades for Trump people are trying to head on him before anything substantial has been agreed on.

That's my only issue with the "summit" at this point.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #586 on: June 13, 2018, 02:28:41 pm »
@txradioguy

That statement is 100% pure,  USDA choice, bovine fecal matter.  And you know it!

Really?  What important issues were resolved? 

I'll wait for the list.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #587 on: June 13, 2018, 02:30:58 pm »
@TomSea

Kim went to China for discussion before he went to the summit. China is part of his world; he needs China.  I thought having info. on how China runs its country would be worthwhile on this thread.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #588 on: June 13, 2018, 02:31:15 pm »
C'mon Tx, you should know by now - disagreement IS a personal attack in this brave new normal.

@INVAR

It may be their "new normal"...but it doesn't mean I have to accept or play along with their definition.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #589 on: June 13, 2018, 02:31:31 pm »
@txradioguy

Perception being reality, the Summit handed Lil' Kim and the Norks legitimacy and global standing for respect it did not have or possess until yesterday.

They went from a rogue state to a member of the world of nations in a handshake in front of the cameras.

Lil' Kim won big time with that one.

Thus far the only thing 'won' is a marketing landslide for both Lil' Kim and Trump.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #590 on: June 13, 2018, 02:32:51 pm »
Really?  What important issues were resolved? 

I'll wait for the list.

A process was started.  That alone makes it very far from a "nothing burger".

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #591 on: June 13, 2018, 02:34:42 pm »
Perception being reality, the Summit handed Lil' Kim and the Norks legitimacy and global standing for respect it did not have or possess until yesterday.

Disagree. The labor camps didn't disappear overnight and everyone knows about them. What we(US, China, SK) did do was get the hermit out of his cave. Maybe if he sees the light, he will join the rest of the world in the light.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #592 on: June 13, 2018, 02:35:04 pm »

You might feel better @INVAR if you listened to the President.  He has outlined the major steps in the denuclearization process quite a few times.  The President's meeting with Kim was step one--and that went better than expected ending with the signing of a mutual understanding.

The  next steps (actually ongoing steps) are working out the devil in the details.  Both the NK negotiating team and the US negotiating team (headed by Pompeo and Bolton) have been and will continue to work out the details, including the timetable, the inspections and the rewards.  Right now, we're pleased, the South Koreans are pleased, the Chinese are pleased, the Japanese are pleased, the Israelis are pleased, the Saudis are pleased.  And it looks like all systems are still a "go".

And yes, the President legitimized Kim--and on the world stage.  And Kim loved it.  So much so he's coming to America to meet with the President for his second round of classes in Making North Korea Great Again.     :laugh:

We're firing on all cylinders, Invar ... it's really okay to be proud.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #593 on: June 13, 2018, 02:38:54 pm »
A process was started.  That alone makes it very far from a "nothing burger".

The "process" was started when Pompeo got the DPRK to agree to the meeting.

What we saw yesterday was a photo op that we're now being told to believe was some kind of meaningful summit.

It wasn't.

The only thing that came of this was Trump undercutting our allies and blindsiding our military leadership by unilaterally announcing cessation of joint exercises and blaming America for why the North continually fails to live up to it's end of every deal it's made with the U.S.

Other than that it was a big nothing burger. 

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #594 on: June 13, 2018, 02:41:10 pm »
The "process" was started when Pompeo got the DPRK to agree to the meeting.

What we saw yesterday was a photo op that we're now being told to believe was some kind of meaningful summit.

It wasn't.

The only thing that came of this was Trump undercutting our allies and blindsiding our military leadership by unilaterally announcing cessation of joint exercises and blaming America for why the North continually fails to live up to it's end of every deal it's made with the U.S.

Other than that it was a big nothing burger.

Nope!  And it will remain untrue no matter how many times you repeat it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #595 on: June 13, 2018, 02:42:51 pm »
Right now, we're pleased, the South Koreans are pleased, the Chinese are pleased, the Japanese are pleased, the Israelis are pleased, the Saudis are pleased.

You forgot to mention how it even made Xerxes, from the film 300, weep like a baby.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #596 on: June 13, 2018, 02:43:49 pm »
We've been doing multiple military exercises every year for decades in South Korea.  The biggest one of those exercises, Foal Eagle, already took place in April.  Cancelling one of them as a gesture of good faith costs us absolutely nothing.  Now if Trump ended sanctions, or gave economic aid, that would be a much more substantive act.

Also, that's not the kind of decision that is irreversible.  And it actually gives Trump another weapon to use.  If NK drags its feet over the next month or so, he can just announce that they are back on.

You’re exactly right. President Trump is smart doing this. Take something Kim hates, military forces off his coast, take that off the table but hold it in reserve. Trump is building up leverage to pressure Kim from a position of strength when negotiations open up.

I wonder if we’ll hear from failed foreign policy experts from failed prior administrations telling us this just isn’t done!

Offline thackney

« Reply #597 on: June 13, 2018, 02:47:19 pm »
You forgot to mention how it even made Xerxes, from the film 300, weep like a baby.

:rolling:
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #598 on: June 13, 2018, 02:53:57 pm »

Big whoop.  I also didn't mention how it's got NT knickers in a twist.   

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #599 on: June 13, 2018, 02:58:04 pm »
Big whoop.  I also didn't mention how it's got NT knickers in a twist.

Tell me who’s really wearing twisted knickers.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.