Author Topic: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD  (Read 33752 times)

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD
« Reply #750 on: June 14, 2018, 08:30:44 pm »

In a completed deal, each side gets something of tangible value.  In this case, the tangible things Kim wants are the ending of economic sanctions and embargoes, and eventually the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Korea.  He's gotten neither of those things.

So if you think this is a "completed deal", then Kim hasn't gotten either of the major things he wanted.

I know you hate the guy, but just try to step back for a moment and consider the possibility (however remote) that Trump actually knows what he is doing.  If you start with that, then what he's doing with the statements you are pointing to is trying to tie Kim publicly to the positions he took during negotiations.  Trump is setting him (and us) up for one of two results:

1) a good, solid deal that is great for the U.S., or

2) no deal, but the moral/political high ground position where he went the extra mile to be conciliatory, friendly, and non-aggressive, but even that approach was met with lies and betrayal by Kim.  This latter option strengthens anything we want to do moving forward in terms of bringing heat on NK.  It also removes the last counter-arguments against not using military force to end Kim's ability to strike the U.S. with nukes.  Trump will legitimately be able to say that he offered every possible assurance to NK that we were not threatening him, were not going to try to destabilize or disrupt his regime, etc..  And that despite the entire world saying that Trump was being too nice, Kim still rejected it.

He's forcing Kim into a position where he either follows through, or offends and betrays the leader of the most powerful country in the world, who is not afraid to use military force.  By publicly saying how great Kim is, he makes Kim look like an even bigger turd if he doesn't follow through.

From the perspective of professional negotiations, this is sound.

ETA:  I should add this:  People should be getting a bit more nervous about how this increases the possibility that we will be engaging in military action.  Trump has set himself up -- I believe deliberately -- to be the aggrieved, insulted party if Kim doesn't follow through.  If this attempt fails, then I don't think Trump will stop at just threats next time.

He is boxing Kim in, and the press and pundits haven't yet figured that out.  But this approach reeks of Pompeo, Mattis, etc..  Kill them with kindness, and if that doesn't work, wipe them out.

Kudos,  @Maj. Bill Martin ,  for the excellent, substantive contributions you are making to this thread.   :beer:
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD
« Reply #751 on: June 15, 2018, 06:55:53 pm »
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you bleep with me, I’ll kill you all."

That's a Mattis quote.  It is also what Trump's overall message is to North Korea.  He is pulling out every last stop to be as nice as possible, but if that doesn't work....