Author Topic: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD  (Read 34504 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD
« Reply #700 on: June 14, 2018, 01:48:24 pm »
More on the "abducted" Japanese in article.

Nice little banner from: https://asiancorrespondent.com/topic/trump-kim-summit/  (Asian Correspondent)

@TomSea
Japan should approach this with caution.  Considering Japan abducted Korean girls before and during WWII and used them as sex slaves.   Some of those women are still alive and would be happy to speak about it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #701 on: June 14, 2018, 01:49:15 pm »

@corbe
YOu can put me on ignore if you don't like it.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #702 on: June 14, 2018, 01:54:50 pm »
I don't understand what anyone believes would have been accomplished by bringing up human rights to Kim, other than virtue signalling.

We're trying to convince the guy we're no threat to his regime if he gives up nukes.  So how does sending a message that he better fix his human rights record or else further than goal?

Trump is kissing Kim's keister with false flattery.  That's because he knows that words are cheap, cost nothing, and if you can get what you want by doing it, you do it ten times out of ten.   

@Maj. Bill Martin  No matter what happened the same people were still going to find fault.   Foxnews was saying this morning that many who oppose Trump were hoping the summit would be a complete failure.  Instead when it seemed to accomplish what was intended they had to find fault in other areas.  I don't understand why they are so invested but it certainly seems to be an emotional position and not based on policies.

I pray for peace and an end to the Korean war and suffering there.  It won't happen overnight but even slow progress is a great alternative to NK working on nukes with ISIS and Iran.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #703 on: June 14, 2018, 02:03:55 pm »
@Maj. Bill Martin  No matter what happened the same people were still going to find fault.   Foxnews was saying this morning that many who oppose Trump were hoping the summit would be a complete failure.  Instead when it seemed to accomplish what was intended they had to find fault in other areas.  I don't understand why they are so invested but it certainly seems to be an emotional position and not based on policies.

I pray for peace and an end to the Korean war and suffering there.  It won't happen overnight but even slow progress is a great alternative to NK working on nukes with ISIS and Iran.

I honestly think the biggest problem here is that too many of these people don't know what happens in real negotiations, in the real world.  They're too used to measuring these things by "optics", so they clutch their pearls when Trump flatters Kim.  What they don't understand is that those words cost nothing, and that sometimes, the guy on the other side of the table needs some sort of emotional validation or flattery before he'll move.  So, you give it a shot.  If it works, great.  If it doesn't...you go back to being an a-hole.

People are acting like Trump actually gave Kim something that matters.  He didn't.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #704 on: June 14, 2018, 02:04:07 pm »
I don't understand what anyone believes would have been accomplished by bringing up human rights to Kim, other than virtue signalling.

We're trying to convince the guy we're no threat to his regime if he gives up nukes.  So how does sending a message that he better fix his human rights record or else further that goal?

Trump is kissing Kim's keister with false flattery.  That's because he knows that words are cheap, cost nothing, and if you can get what you want by doing it, you do it ten times out of ten.   

If the President doesn’t want to raise human rights during these negotiations, that’s his prerogative.  What I’m not fine with is the President of the United States saying things he knows are false (“false flattery”) in an attempt to get what he wants.  I think it just further degrades Trump’s credibility to publicly say that Kim loves his people when he’s starving them, torturing US citizens, publicly executing his own relatives, and holding 100+K people in political prison camps. 

Words may be cheap but the constant lying, misdirections, and false statements do cost something:  the credibility of the President of the United States.  I want to believe what my President says, but with this guy, he just makes that impossible. 

I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #705 on: June 14, 2018, 02:06:30 pm »
If the President doesn’t want to raise human rights during these negotiations, that’s his prerogative.  What I’m not fine with is the President of the United States saying things he knows are false (“false flattery”) in an attempt to get what he wants.

Well, there's our difference.  I think the end goal of the denuclearization of North Korea is so desireable that a bit of disingenuous butt-kissing along the way doesn't bother me in the least.  Getting the deal itself is far more important.

But that's just me.  Apparently, others feel differently.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 02:09:48 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #706 on: June 14, 2018, 02:07:29 pm »
I honestly think the biggest problem here is that too many of these people don't know what happens in real negotiations, in the real world.  They're too used to measuring these things by "optics", so they clutch their pearls when Trump flatters Kim.  What they don't understand is that those words cost nothing, and that sometimes, the guy on the other side of the table needs some sort of emotional validation or flattery before he'll move.  So, you give it a shot.  If it works, great.  If it doesn't...you go back to being an a-hole.

People are acting like Trump actually gave Kim something that matters.  He didn't.
Well said

Offline Concerned

« Reply #707 on: June 14, 2018, 02:09:40 pm »
Well, there's our difference.  I think the end goal of the denuclearization of North Korea is so desireable that a bit of butt-kissing along the way doesn't bother me in the least.  Getting the deal itself is far more important.

It's possible to butt-kiss without outright lying.  At least for honest people it is.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #708 on: June 14, 2018, 02:10:41 pm »
It's possible to butt-kiss without outright lying.  At least for honest people it is.

Again, I have no issue with saying something dishonest as part of negotiations with a scumbag if it gets me a deal that is worth it.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #709 on: June 14, 2018, 02:12:54 pm »
Well, there's our difference.  I think the end goal of the denuclearization of North Korea is so desireable that a bit of butt-kissing along the way doesn't bother me in the least.  Getting the deal itself is far more important.

If Kim responds to flattery, then flatter away.   Trump didn't want the Korea issue to be front and center on his plate.   It should have been addressed years ago.   Now there's no more time to kick the can - the NORKs have the nukes and the means to deliver them to our doorstep.   

Kiss his ass, Mr. President, or kick it.  Either way, it is despicable to hear his critics rooting for him to fail.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline musiclady

« Reply #710 on: June 14, 2018, 02:13:42 pm »
If the President doesn’t want to raise human rights during these negotiations, that’s his prerogative.  What I’m not fine with is the President of the United States saying things he knows are false (“false flattery”) in an attempt to get what he wants.  I think it just further degrades Trump’s credibility to publicly say that Kim loves his people when he’s starving them, torturing US citizens, publicly executing his own relatives, and holding 100+K people in political prison camps. 

Words may be cheap but the constant lying, misdirections, and false statements do cost something:  the credibility of the President of the United States.  I want to believe what my President says, but with this guy, he just makes that impossible.

That's the problem with electing a guy who has a long history of lying about everything.

Apparently some have the ability to pretend his character is not deeply flawed in the truth-telling department, but that to me, is naivte.   He is who he is, whether what he's saying is trivial, or extremely important (like now).

I would love to be hopeful that these negotiations mean something, but the completely madness and depraved cruelty of Kim and the lack of honesty in Trump make that impossible.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #711 on: June 14, 2018, 02:27:59 pm »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline musiclady

« Reply #712 on: June 14, 2018, 02:35:00 pm »
People who don't trust people who lie about everything are not 'liberals.'

People who don't trust maniacal, evil dictators like Kim are not liberals either.....

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #713 on: June 14, 2018, 02:58:08 pm »
People who don't trust people who lie about everything are not 'liberals.'

People who don't trust maniacal, evil dictators like Kim are not liberals either.....

Trust has nothing to do with any of this, on either side.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #714 on: June 14, 2018, 03:16:40 pm »
Trust has nothing to do with any of this, on either side.

While I profoundly disagree with your statement, it is not directly related to my refutation of the claim that those who don't love or trust Trump are 'liberals,'

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #715 on: June 14, 2018, 03:34:47 pm »

Well, I find Trump's declaration that there is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea to be yet another impossible incredibility - made when we have ZERO verification beyond his words.

Trump is at best channelling Obama.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #716 on: June 14, 2018, 03:40:25 pm »
Again, I have no issue with saying something dishonest as part of negotiations with a scumbag if it gets me a deal that is worth it.

@Maj. Bill Martin
What did Trump say that was dishonest regarding the Summit?

His tweet that the threat of nuclear war is gone?   For now it appears to be largely gone from NK.  Perhaps a bit premature but then we don't know what else is going on.   Do they still have the capability?   Probably, but then so does Pakistan.  Do we worry about a nuclear attack from Pakistan on a daily basis like many have been from NK?

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #717 on: June 14, 2018, 03:41:30 pm »
Well, I find Trump's declaration that there is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea to be yet another impossible incredibility - made when we have ZERO verification beyond his words.

Trump is at best channelling Obama.

Reminds me of Obama's Iran proclamation.

http://www.inspiretochangeworld.com/2015/09/obama-admin-declares-iran-and-hezbollah-no-longer-terrorist-threats/

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #719 on: June 14, 2018, 03:52:22 pm »

http://www.inspiretochangeworld.com/2015/09/obama-admin-declares-iran-and-hezbollah-no-longer-terrorist-threats/

EXACTLY!!!

For me, the issue on this board is not that Trump needs to be criticized for the effort - but that his rabid supported are hypocrites because they rightfully bashed Obama for similar statements over the Iran "deal", but now because it's Trump - everyone must support the effort.

To declare that "there is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea" because of a handshake in front of the cameras is as absurd as Obama saying Iran is no longer a terror threat after his 'deal'.

It is disconcerting to watch a people who not long ago were outraged when Obama's regime pulled all their propaganda crap over the Iran deal, suddenly sound just like Obama's drones singing the hosannas and dreaming of Nobel prizes when Trump did roughly the same damn thing.

And of course while ForeverTrump® are crowing about the 'framework' that Trump has established with North Korea - some of us DO REMEMBER when Slick made all his empty pronouncements with the same moronic regime over there.

! No longer available
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 03:54:29 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #720 on: June 14, 2018, 04:05:38 pm »
Do we worry about a nuclear attack from Pakistan on a daily basis like many have been from NK?

No, we worry about Pakistan, because they have an uncomfortably close relationship with some horrible groups, uphold a known nuclear proliferator as a national hero, and would be ready to assist with Saudi Arabia's desire to obtain nukes, if Iran keeps doing what everyone suspects.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #721 on: June 14, 2018, 04:09:35 pm »
EXACTLY!!!

For me, the issue on this board is not that Trump needs to be criticized for the effort - but that his rabid supported are hypocrites because they rightfully bashed Obama for similar statements over the Iran "deal", but now because it's Trump - everyone must support the effort.

To declare that "there is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea" because of a handshake in front of the cameras is as absurd as Obama saying Iran is no longer a terror threat after his 'deal'.

It is disconcerting to watch a people who not long ago were outraged when Obama's regime pulled all their propaganda crap over the Iran deal, suddenly sound just like Obama's drones singing the hosannas and dreaming of Nobel prizes when Trump did roughly the same damn thing.

And of course while ForeverTrump® are crowing about the 'framework' that Trump has established with North Korea - some of us DO REMEMBER when Slick made all his empty pronouncements with the same moronic regime over there.

! No longer available

In other words, here the forum member is going after anyone who supports Trump again.

For me, the issue on this board is not that Trump needs to be criticized for the effort - but that his rabid supported are hypocrites

Also, I doubt if there are any posts in this thread worshiping Trump over this deal in this thread. But even if one points out the truth, be ready for a rude or vulgar retort.

The analysis is shallow and without the president, we may well see terrorism at a much higher level than it is presently, we may not have seen the economy bounce back and being very productive here. Along with other measures, but I wouldn't expect honesty in the discussion.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #722 on: June 14, 2018, 04:10:18 pm »
and would be ready to assist with Saudi Arabia's desire to obtain nukes, if Iran keeps doing what everyone suspects.

...and we got stupid and distanced ourselves from KSA.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #723 on: June 14, 2018, 04:13:03 pm »

There was no Mike Pompeo in the Obama administration. Pompeo will be in charge of the verification process.

One can call any deal, a deal with Canada or Mexico even, "reminds me of the Iran deal";  I note, some people, EU and others, are still upholding the Iran deal. So, the trial is even still out on that.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #724 on: June 14, 2018, 04:22:08 pm »
There was no Mike Pompeo in the Obama administration. Pompeo will be in charge of the verification process.

One can call any deal, a deal with Canada or Mexico even, "reminds me of the Iran deal";  I note, some people, EU and others, are still upholding the Iran deal. So, the trial is even still out on that.

Pompeo is our ace in the hole IMO.  His involvement gives me some degree of confidence.   The fact that he and the Administration couldn’t get “verification” into the joint statement issued by Kim and Trump does cause me pause about whether Kim is really serious or not, but if there’s a deal to be had, I think Mike Pompeo will find it. 

At the end of the day though, I just can’t see North Korea really giving up their nuclear weapons after working for decades to get them and by having them, allowing their leader to stand side-by-side with the President of the United States.  Time will tell though, but as Pompeo said, we’re years away from major disarmament with NK.