Author Topic: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD  (Read 33759 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD
« Reply #625 on: June 13, 2018, 05:23:22 pm »
I really don't know where this is going, but I, for one, did not expect there to be an Earth-shattering "Kaboom" in Singapore.

That's because NK put a temporary stop to their 'splodin cannons.

“They have great beaches! You see that whenever they're exploding the cannons into the ocean, right?” Trump said after playing the four-minute video for the press.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2018/06/12/heres-the-video-trump-showed-kim-about-what-north-korea-postnuclear-future-would-look-like-n2489821

Also, Pompeo has now given the timeline for disarmament 2 - 2.5 years.

Pompeo was in Seoul on Wednesday to brief South Korean officials on the summit. Speaking to a small group of reporters and asked if he would like to accomplish major nuclear disarmament within Trump’s current term, which ends on Jan. 20, 2021, Pompeo replied:

“Oh yes, most definitively. Absolutely ... you used the term major, major disarmament, something like that? We’re hopeful that we can achieve that in the 2-1/2 years.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-usa-pompeo/u-s-aims-for-major-north-korea-disarmament-in-two-and-a-half-years-pompeo-idUSKBN1J9271
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:40:28 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #626 on: June 13, 2018, 05:51:13 pm »

It’s always funny introducing them to idioms.  Maybe he was just lost.  You should have sent him north to PA, where Intercourse, Bird-In-Hand, and Blueball are near each other.

At least they're all close to Paradise.  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #627 on: June 13, 2018, 07:06:13 pm »
Max and Mitch, huh? She thought you were a friend of Dorothy?

Foreigners are so much fun. I interned at an engjneering firm and did a site visit that was along the Intracoastal Waterway.  The engineer I was with was, I dunno, Pakistani maybe, kept calling it the "Intercourse Waterway"  Too fun to bother correcting.

Had a Romanian colleague who didn't know what was wrong when he was writing about the dykes that were holding back the water.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Silver Pines

« Reply #628 on: June 13, 2018, 09:50:01 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

Not so much since this Kim took over.  His father and grandfather would certainly do that.  Mostly people with special skills or pretty girls.   They would send people into the schools to find girls.  No choice of course for the girl.

I know of one American who was kidnapped to work as an English teacher.  He was given a wife when he arrived.  They would also target actors singers and other talent to entertain him.

The young Kim probably doesn't like living there.  He was educated in Switzerland so he knows what 1st world is.

@driftdiver

So the American guy escaped?

Kim's gonna freak when he comes to Washington.  Too bad they can't take him on a few side trips...Las Vegas, maybe.  Or New York City.

Silver Pines

« Reply #629 on: June 13, 2018, 09:51:31 pm »
When I was there I had three people try to pull me out the back door of a coffee shop.  When I started fighting back it was noticed by other people and the three ran.  They knew my name where I worked and what I did.

@driftdiver

Wait, you were almost kidnapped by the North Koreans?  Omg!!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #630 on: June 13, 2018, 10:05:40 pm »
@driftdiver

So the American guy escaped?

Kim's gonna freak when he comes to Washington.  Too bad they can't take him on a few side trips...Las Vegas, maybe.  Or New York City.

@CatherineofAragon

I dont think he ever got out.  Very few do.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #631 on: June 13, 2018, 10:25:12 pm »
Fox News reporting that Trump is willing to overlook Kim's human rights abuses in the quest for denuclearization.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Silver Pines

« Reply #632 on: June 13, 2018, 10:28:13 pm »
@CatherineofAragon

I dont think he ever got out.  Very few do.

@driftdiver

Horrible. 

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #633 on: June 13, 2018, 10:33:22 pm »
Fox News reporting that Trump is willing to overlook Kim's human rights abuses in the quest for denuclearization.

No surprise. It's an ugly situation all the way around

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #634 on: June 13, 2018, 10:50:41 pm »

I guess living a nuclear bomb  could be considered somewhatworsee.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #635 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:30 pm »
I guess living a nuclear bomb  could be considered somewhatworsee.

A few tens of millions dead might be worse

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #636 on: June 13, 2018, 11:22:37 pm »

The other option is to walk away from the possibility of a denuclearized Korean peninsula because Kim's a really bad guy. 

Show of hands, who wants to walk away?

Offline edpc

« Reply #637 on: June 13, 2018, 11:37:27 pm »
The other option is to walk away from the possibility of a denuclearized Korean peninsula because Kim's a really bad guy. 

Show of hands, who wants to walk away?

In the end, our hands will not matter. However, if the president wants to openly state he’s willing to sacrifice people in those generational prison camps, best of luck getting 67 votes in the Senate for a treaty.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #638 on: June 13, 2018, 11:48:13 pm »

In the end, our hands will not matter. However, if the president wants to openly state he’s willing to sacrifice people in those generational prison camps, best of luck getting 67 votes in the Senate for a treaty.

Its easy to throw stones.  Some terrible stuff has been and is being done to people.  As bad as anything the nazis or japanese did.

We ended up hiring German scientists and ignoring the japanese crimes.

It's a shame, criminal even but what are the alternatives.   What path from here to peace includes the punishment of those responsible?  If we dont pursue peace then are we willing to allow continued war and maybe nuclear?

The Chinese kill people and take their organs before they even die.  They use slave labor to make our Christmas lights and fireworks.  We ignore that so we can keep the supply of cheap crap coming.

There are no easy decisions here.

Offline edpc

« Reply #639 on: June 13, 2018, 11:51:53 pm »
Its easy to throw stones.

It’s not stone throwing, just a fact.  You would not get 2/3 of the Senate to support that.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #640 on: June 13, 2018, 11:54:40 pm »

It’s not stone throwing, just a fact.  You would not get 2/3 of the Senate to support that.

Possibly.  Maybe Chuckie has a better idea.  Depends on their willingness to push the red button

Offline Concerned

« Reply #641 on: June 14, 2018, 12:02:20 am »
Its easy to throw stones.  Some terrible stuff has been and is being done to people.  As bad as anything the nazis or japanese did.

We ended up hiring German scientists and ignoring the japanese crimes.

It's a shame, criminal even but what are the alternatives.   What path from here to peace includes the punishment of those responsible?  If we dont pursue peace then are we willing to allow continued war and maybe nuclear?

The Chinese kill people and take their organs before they even die.  They use slave labor to make our Christmas lights and fireworks.  We ignore that so we can keep the supply of cheap crap coming.

There are no easy decisions here.

Yes, it’s easy to throw stones when “trusted” leaders are starving their people, torturing US citizens, and publicly executing their own relatives.  Well, it should be easy to throw stones at that, but I’m afraid it’s not so easy for some.

I'm not sure who you think ignored Japanese war crimes.  The Tokyo trial featured only one chief prosecutor–American Joseph B. Keenan, a former assistant to the U.S. attorney general and several folks were executed as a result.  Also:

In addition to the central Tokyo trial, various tribunals sitting outside Japan judged some 5,000 Japanese guilty of war crimes, of whom more than 900 were executed.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/japanese-war-criminals-hanged-in-tokyo
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline edpc

« Reply #642 on: June 14, 2018, 12:06:57 am »
Possibly.  Maybe Chuckie has a better idea.  Depends on their willingness to push the red button

There are enough Democratic senators where it’s already DOA.  There is no (pardon the pun) nuclear option for a binding treaty.  Without approval of the Senate, it just becomes an executive agreement.  Kim would lose his guarantees of safety, with a change of administration.  He probably wouldn’t agree.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:08:30 am by edpc »

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #643 on: June 14, 2018, 12:14:07 am »

There are enough Democratic senators where it’s already DOA.  There is no (pardon the pun) nuclear option for a binding treaty.  Without approval of the Senate, it just becomes an executive agreement.  Kim would lose his guarantees of safety, with a change of administration.  He probably wouldn’t agree.

Since the Korean war was a UN resolution I'm not sure where a treaty really is required

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #644 on: June 14, 2018, 12:14:13 am »
The Soviet Union was part of the axis of evil, evil empire but Reagan toned it down when he started speaking to Gorbachev.

As said before, one can't let the perfect be the enemy of the possible.

Reunification and we will see some of these problems going away.

I would not rule out that there might be the votes in the Senate to work this deal out. Quite a few Senators have been supportive of this including Democrats.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #645 on: June 14, 2018, 12:17:39 am »
Perhaps we should remind the hand-wringers who lecture us about the fact there are 'no easy decisions here' and that we should accept any effort and deal with the Norks as better than any alternative , that this was a crisis of our own making.

The Norks having nukes and ICBM-capable missiles is the direct result of OUR OWN GOVERNMENT UNDER CLINTON for handing nuke tech and ballistic missile tech to the Chicom's for campaign contributions.  Anyone recall the 1996 Campaign and Loral Space?  Al Gore and a full bladder of tea?

In addition to the subsequent pusseeee-footing and appeasement subsequent administrations and regimes have provided to the Norks since it became known that they were on their way to nuke development and provision from their host state.

This Frankenstein is of our own making, having the Chicoms aiding a dried up old Communist corpse with bad hair DNA as a proxy.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:18:41 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #646 on: June 14, 2018, 12:26:34 am »
Perhaps we should remind the hand-wringers who lecture us about the fact there are 'no easy decisions here' and that we should accept any effort and deal with the Norks as better than any alternative , that this was a crisis of our own making.

The Norks having nukes and ICBM-capable missiles is the direct result of OUR OWN GOVERNMENT UNDER CLINTON for handing nuke tech and ballistic missile tech to the Chicom's for campaign contributions.  Anyone recall the 1996 Campaign and Loral Space?  Al Gore and a full bladder of tea?

In addition to the subsequent pusseeee-footing and appeasement subsequent administrations and regimes have provided to the Norks since it became known that they were on their way to nuke development and provision from their host state.

This Frankenstein is of our own making, having the Chicoms aiding a dried up old Communist corpse with bad hair DNA as a proxy.

@INVAR
You dont need to remind anyone here of that. We all know it and have said so.

The key question is now what do you do?  So are you gonna do anything besides whine and cry? 

Irrelevant doesn't accomplish anything

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #647 on: June 14, 2018, 12:31:05 am »

Where are you pulling this from ... thin air?  The President has been talking about this with Kim, returning the remains of our soldiers and the dead and alive Japanese in generational prison camps.

And, if you don't mind by bringing this up, President Trump is the only President who has opened this dialogue...and he's done it face to face with the perpetrator.

Try, try and see the positives all around you.  You don't even have to admit them here, just don't deprive yourself of at least seeing them. 

Offline edpc

« Reply #648 on: June 14, 2018, 12:40:23 am »
Since the Korean war was a UN resolution I'm not sure where a treaty really is required

Formally ending the Korean War and denuclearization are two separate issues.  Had they considered the UN route for this agreement, Nikki Haley would have been in Singapore, as well.  To date, all discussions about talks with North Korea have included consultation and future congressional approval, according to Pompeo.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #649 on: June 14, 2018, 12:41:00 am »
@INVAR
You dont need to remind anyone here of that. We all know it and have said so.

Really?  Where?  I do not find any recollection of that history in this discussion.

The key question is now what do you do?  So are you gonna do anything besides whine and cry? 

Irrelevant doesn't accomplish anything

Neither does mental masturbation pretending your cheerleading is accomplishing anything besides self-gratifying the hubris.

I'm laughing hysterically at reading nearly the same swooning over Trump as the greatest messenger of peace in our time as I did when Obama was heralded by his hordes over the Iran deal.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775