Author Topic: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD  (Read 34287 times)

Silver Pines

Re: USA & No Korea Summit LIVE THREAD
« Reply #475 on: June 13, 2018, 12:44:12 am »
    Adulation to the current occupant of the Oval Office takes president over everything we held so dearly just a few short years ago......SAD

@corbe

It's lunacy.  And it's led to the offense of one of the very few on this forum who has never given cause.

@Lando Lincoln, please stay.

Silver Pines

« Reply #476 on: June 13, 2018, 12:48:15 am »
I didn't write the damn protocols.   I'm simply quoting them.  The critical protocol is:  the first time the man is referred to, he is addressed as "President" Invar.  (Good God forbid)

My God man, if you won't go outside and mingle with real, live people ... at least open a window for some fresh air.  You're starting to sound a little disconnected from the world......   I'll keep you in my prayers.

http://www.formsofaddress.info/FOA_president_US.html

How Should Reporters Refer to
The Current President in Media?
    How should President Trump be referred to by the media? I hear them refer to him as Mr. Trump and this just doesn't sound very respectful of him or the office (in my opinion). Mahalo for your time.
         -- Ms. Brazile in Honolulu

Dear MBIH:
    In the media the journalists are referring to The President in the third person in a story ... so they will refer to him in various ways so who they are talking about is clear to the listener.
    You'll hear:
        Donald Trump
        President Trump
        Trump
        Mr. Trump
    These are not forms of address ... for which there are rules.  In direct address a president is addressed as
        Mr. President
    His given name or surname is not used in his presence. 
    Listen to a White House news conference, and all the reporters address him as Mr. President.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #477 on: June 13, 2018, 12:48:21 am »
   I too, @INVAR am in other places all over the Net, that would be considered brutal by our standards, some I can even use Drumpf, but not in my Home, I respect my Landlord and my Roommates.

You've got a man-crush on Tom Cotton that you have bored us with ad infinitum @corbe  , it's the same sort of deal.

I don't blame you though, he is one of our best Senators.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #478 on: June 13, 2018, 12:49:26 am »
@Victoria33

Totally honest here---when I got up this morning I checked Twitter and saw the pics, and I was impressed.  I showed my husband and I said that if Trump pulls this off, he should get the Nobel Prize.  Then I started getting the details....no real concessions from Kim, Trump saying we would end war games and pull out of South Korea without notifying SK of his intentions, etc. 

The worst part for me was the tongue bath he gave that mass-murdering bastard.  "He runs his country tough"---really??  Yeah, I'd have to say concentration camps for your whole family if you don't keep the mandatory photo of Kim on your wall dusted very tough.  Didn't Ronald Reagan always make it clear that he was on the side of the prisoners/dissidents instead of the tyrants?  And why was our flag side by side with theirs?

Maybe something will come of it, but according to the Heritage Foundation, NK has made the same promise eight times since 1992.  So excuse me if I don't celebrate yet.

But NK has always gotten something first .... (money) so there was no need to go forward. 

This time, NK is still under sanctions with the possibility of more to be imposed if this falls through.  Now that Kim spent two days tasting the poison fruit of Capitalism in Singapore, he's not going to be happy going back to driving his 1970 Oldsmobile and living in a third world hellhole.   He's also tasted celebrity and status ... and I'm sure he liked that, too. 

Plus, there's a different team in place now.  A rather fearless team. ... even China's pitched in.  All around there are different circumstances, giving more reasons to hope.

Right now I just hope Kim's not killed off.  At least not yet.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #479 on: June 13, 2018, 12:54:42 am »
@Victoria33

Totally honest here---when I got up this morning I checked Twitter and saw the pics, and I was impressed.  I showed my husband and I said that if Trump pulls this off, he should get the Nobel Prize.  Then I started getting the details....no real concessions from Kim, Trump saying we would end war games and pull out of South Korea without notifying SK of his intentions, etc. 

The worst part for me was the tongue bath he gave that mass-murdering bastard.  "He runs his country tough"---really??  Yeah, I'd have to say concentration camps for your whole family if you don't keep the mandatory photo of Kim on your wall dusted very tough.  Didn't Ronald Reagan always make it clear that he was on the side of the prisoners/dissidents instead of the tyrants?  And why was our flag side by side with theirs?

Maybe something will come of it, but according to the Heritage Foundation, NK has made the same promise eight times since 1992.  So excuse me if I don't celebrate yet.

Exactly right.  Those celebrating are premature IMO.  Maybe something will come of this but the details include no real concessions from Kim (even in exchange for concessions from Trump).  Kim has 120K people in prison camps.  To say that he loves his people is absurd IMO.  To get insight into life inside North Korea prison camps, I found this book a great read:

https://www.amazon.com/Escape-Camp-14-Remarkable-Odyssey/dp/0143122916

This guy was born in a prison camp and didn't even know meat existed until he escaped. 
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Silver Pines

« Reply #480 on: June 13, 2018, 01:01:34 am »
But NK has always gotten something first .... (money) so there was no need to go forward. 

This time, NK is still under sanctions with the possibility of more to be imposed if this falls through.  Now that Kim spent two days tasting the poison fruit of Capitalism in Singapore, he's not going to be happy going back to driving his 1970 Oldsmobile and living in a third world hellhole.   He's also tasted celebrity and status ... and I'm sure he liked that, too. 

Plus, there's a different team in place now.  A rather fearless team. ... even China's pitched in.  All around there are different circumstances, giving more reasons to hope.

Right now I just hope Kim's not killed off.  At least not yet.

@Right_in_Virginia

I hope it all happens that way, I really do.

But does Kim really drive old cars, etc.?  I figured he was pretty much the only person in North Korea who lives in luxury.  He's not short on groceries, clearly.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #481 on: June 13, 2018, 01:02:50 am »
Radio Free Asia:

US Gets Little in Return For Pledge to Suspend Military Exercises After Trump-Kim Summit: Experts
2018-06-12

Washington has pledged to suspend military exercises on the Korean Peninsula following a historic summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un, prompting experts to question why the move was made without substantive concessions on denuclearization from Pyongyang.

At the conclusion of the summit, held on Tuesday in Singapore, the two leaders issued a joint statement pledging to establish new relations, build a peace regime on the Korean Peninsula, and committing to the recovery and repatriation of the remains of American prisoners of war and soldiers missing in action in North Korea.

The statement said that Trump had “committed to provide security guarantees” to the North and that Kim had reaffirmed his “firm and unwavering commitment to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” echoing a pledge he had made in the Panmunjom Declaration, issued following a similarly unprecedented meeting with his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in in April.

Read more at: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/korea/concessions-06122018171350.html

Silver Pines

« Reply #482 on: June 13, 2018, 01:03:03 am »
Exactly right.  Those celebrating are premature IMO.  Maybe something will come of this but the details include no real concessions from Kim (even in exchange for concessions from Trump).  Kim has 120K people in prison camps.  To say that he loves his people is absurd IMO.  To get insight into life inside North Korea prison camps, I found this book a great read:

This guy was born in a prison camp and didn't even know meat existed until he escaped.

@Concerned

Oh, my Lord.  That's...well, I don't know what to say.

I'm adding that title to my Kindle list.  Thank you.

Silver Pines

« Reply #483 on: June 13, 2018, 01:03:53 am »
LOL. Yeah right. Their state vehicles are 70's era Continentals for Christs sake.

@Frank Cannon

What the....!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #484 on: June 13, 2018, 01:04:16 am »
World Leaders Praise Trump–Kim Summit, Offer Support on Road Ahead
By Petr Svab

Notes of praise and support poured in from world leaders after the successful meeting between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Singapore on June 12.

Representatives of the European Union, Japan, China, and Russia were among those commending the historic summit—the first between the leaders of the United States and North Korea—where the communist dictatorship reaffirmed a commitment to give up nuclear weapons.

“The ultimate goal, shared by the entire international community and as expressed by the United Nations Security Council, remains the complete, verifiable, and irreversible denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” the European Union stated in a press release.

Read more at: https://www.theepochtimes.com/world-leaders-praise-trump-kim-summit-offer-support-on-road-ahead_2559733.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #485 on: June 13, 2018, 01:05:32 am »

You have a rogue nation threatening about a half-dozen nations with nuclear weapons. Human rights are of utmost importance but somehow, the channels to let things flow must happen at first too and no Libyan model.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #486 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:22 am »
@Concerned

Oh, my Lord.  That's...well, I don't know what to say.

I'm adding that title to my Kindle list.  Thank you.

@CatherineofAragon

:beer:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #487 on: June 13, 2018, 01:08:44 am »
Kim, Trump agree reciprocal, step-by-step actions towards denuclearisation - KCNA

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said it was "urgent" for North Korea and the United States to halt "irritating and hostile military actions against each other" during talks on Tuesday with U.S. President Donald Trump, North Korea's state media said on Wednesday.

North Korea and the United States should commit to avoid antagonizing each other and take legal, institutional steps to guarantee it, Kim said according to a report by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

The report added Trump said he "understood" and promised to halt joint U.S.-South Korea military exercises while talks with the North were continuing.

Read more at: https://www.yahoo.com/news/kim-trump-agree-reciprocal-step-step-actions-towards-002717511.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #488 on: June 13, 2018, 01:12:19 am »
LOL. Yeah right. Their state vehicles are 70's era Continentals for Christs sake.

65 years of isolation, a state of war, I don't know if that has even ended yet. This is a big task; that some think, should be dealt with in a fairly quick successful way.

Like Lao Tzu said,

Let alone, even by the words of John Bolton, the last 3 presidents at the least, let this problem fester if not helped it grow.  You won't hear anything about that though.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #489 on: June 13, 2018, 01:14:07 am »
65 years of isolation, a state of war, I don't know if that has even ended yet. This is a big task; that some think, should be dealt with in a fairly quick successful way.

Like Lao Tzu said,

Let alone, even by the words of John Bolton, the last 3 presidents at the least, let this problem fester if not helped it grow.  You won't hear anything about that though.

John Bolton is exactly right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

« Reply #490 on: June 13, 2018, 01:14:37 am »
North Korea State Media Says Trump Agreed to Lift Sanctions Against North
June 12, 2018, at 8:36 p.m.

SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korean state media said on Wednesday U.S. President Donald Trump had agreed to lift sanctions against the North in addition to providing security guarantees in the summit with the North's leader, Kim Jong Un, the previous day.

Trump was cited by North Korea's official KCNA news agency as saying he made the promise after pledging to end joint military exercises with South Korea.

Read more at: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-06-12/north-korea-state-media-says-trump-agreed-to-lift-sanctions-against-north

« Reply #491 on: June 13, 2018, 01:18:37 am »
@Right_in_Virginia

But does Kim really drive old cars, etc.?  I figured he was pretty much the only person in North Korea who lives in luxury.  He's not short on groceries, clearly. 

His state auto is an older car.  Agree, he's clearly eating for 20, but no one else is --- and fine restaurants are scarce. You know it's like that saying:  How you going to keep 'em on the farm once they've seen Broadway?  Kim needs another lesson or two with the uber capitalist, President Trump, to push him over the edge.   :laugh:

And after Kim's nighttime sightseeing tour in Singapore, I'm hoping this will start to really bother him (maybe it can be included in his next lesson ---  )

@CatherineofAragon

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:23:09 am by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #492 on: June 13, 2018, 01:20:18 am »

North Korea state media may be giving Kim some cover against "removal".   :pondering:

Offline TomSea

« Reply #493 on: June 13, 2018, 01:20:44 am »
Sen. Tom Cotton: We'll know before 2019 military exercises if Kim Jong-Un is committed to deal

By Alex Swoyer - The Washington Times - Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Sen. Tom Cotton said Tuesday he wasn’t concerned about President Trump agreeing to stop the “war games” in his conversation with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

The “war games” are joint military exercises between the South Korean and the U.S. military that occur every year in the spring.

It was one of the concessions Mr. Trump was willing to give in order to have Mr. Kim agree to complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

Read more at: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jun/12/tom-cotton-well-know-before-2019-military-exercise/

Hewitt played a clip that showed Trump saying the agreement with North Korea depends on the United States being able to verify if Kim is taking steps towards denuclearization.

"That’s the key, Hugh," Cotton said. "Again, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating in the coming months. Heads of state don’t negotiate the technical details of a verification regime. That’ll be left up to Secretary Pompeo and other members of our national security team."

"I believe that Donald Trump is going to continue the campaign of maximum pressure, and he will not grant one-sided unilateral concessions," Cotton said. "And if Kim Jong Un reverses his commitments on a much bigger issue than trade negotiations, than what the president said about Justin Trudeau will be repeated tenfold about Kim Jong Un."

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/cotton-continue-campaign-maximum-pressure-north-korea/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 01:23:50 am by TomSea »

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #494 on: June 13, 2018, 01:25:07 am »
@Right_in_Virginia

@CatherineofAragon

About 20% of the country is the ruling class.  Those people dont go hungry and can get luxuries.  There aren't a lot of cars but this group has em.  Yes they are old because they lack cash and access to banking.

They tend to kidnap people and dont steal cars.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Silver Pines

« Reply #495 on: June 13, 2018, 01:25:49 am »
His state auto is an older car.  Agree, he's clearly eating for 20, but no one else is --- and fine restaurants are scarce. You know it's like that saying:  How you going to keep on the farm once they've seen Broadway?  Kim needs another lesson or two with the uber capitalist, President Trump, to push him over the edge.   :laugh:

And after Kim's nighttime sightseeing tour in Singapore, I'm hoping this will start to really bother him (maybe it can be included in his next lesson ---  )

@CatherineofAragon

@Right_in_Virginia

Well, I see that Kim has been invited to Washington.  My husband won't dismiss the possibility that Trump's advisors are telling him to pile on and show Kim some more capitalist delights.  Like you said, he's young, still.  Perpetuating his father's hard line might not be so easy now that he's had a taste.  We can hope, anyway.

Silver Pines

« Reply #496 on: June 13, 2018, 01:27:03 am »
@CatherineofAragon

About 20% of the country is the ruling class.  Those people dont go hungry and can get luxuries.  There aren't a lot of cars but this group has em.  Yes they are old because they lack cash and access to banking.

They tend to kidnap people and dont steal cars.

@driftdiver

I was reading today that Japanese people are kidnapped off their own beaches.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #497 on: June 13, 2018, 01:32:25 am »
@driftdiver

I was reading today that Japanese people are kidnapped off their own beaches.

I wonder if that came up..I think Abe wanted that as part of the agreement that they would be returned to Japan
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #498 on: June 13, 2018, 01:33:40 am »

@Concerned

There are more like 200 to 300k in the labor camps.  Kim didn't put them there.  His father and grandfather created the system.  He hasnt stopped it but who knows if he could without being removed and killed himself.

The camps are as bad as anything the nazis or Japanese did.  Rape torture murder are every day occurrences.  They test chemical weapons on families.  Entire families get put there because one person made a mistake, like get caught listening to the wrong music.

Hopefully this approach works to help end these.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

« Reply #499 on: June 13, 2018, 01:33:51 am »
@Right_in_Virginia

Well, I see that Kim has been invited to Washington.  My husband won't dismiss the possibility that Trump's advisors are telling him to pile on and show Kim some more capitalist delights.  Like you said, he's young, still.  Perpetuating his father's hard line might not be so easy now that he's had a taste.  We can hope, anyway. 

If it doesn't work...then nothing ventured, nothing gained.  If it DOES work and has Kim running toward the money throwing out nukes along the way .... this could turn out to be one of the greatest psyops in American history. 

Here's hoping