Author Topic: Strict Handgun Laws Lower Gun-Murder Rates in Cities  (Read 11093 times)

Offline thackney

Re: Strict Handgun Laws Lower Gun-Murder Rates in Cities
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 03:01:21 pm »
If they know who has the guns and where they are, they can be confiscated.

But only of the law abiding citizens.  It does nothing for getting the guns of criminals.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2018, 03:05:36 pm »
But only of the law abiding citizens.  It does nothing for getting the guns of criminals.

Because they don't care about those guns. 
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2018, 03:09:29 pm »
Because they don't care about those guns.

I know that, and you know that, but....

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2018, 03:10:53 pm »
I know that, and you know that, but....

but they won't admit it publicly and the average Joe on the street doesn't realize it.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2018, 03:16:26 pm »
What lie?  I am sick and tired of the straw man that licensure or registration is for the purpose of banning/confiscating guns.   THAT is the big lie.   

I remain very interested in this or any other study that speaks to whether a regime of licensure and/or registration can reduce gun crime.
Of course you do.

China

Australia

Denmark

Now read this:

http://stephenhalbrook.com/article-nazilaw.pdf

and try again to tell me the goal isn't confiscating guns....

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2018, 03:20:25 pm »
Of course it is confiscation. Why else would the government need to know who has guns? That information is worthless to them otherwise.

The Chinese student here was arrested for having a gun. The government knew he had it because he registered it and they followed him to the gun range. Then they confiscated the him and the gun.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2018, 03:29:31 pm »
The straw men continue to march, like zombies.  *****rollingeyes*****

It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2018, 03:36:35 pm »

You're being deliberately obtuse.

By definition, the reason to license guns is to know who has them. And if you know who has them, you can then take them at any time, for any reason.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2018, 04:26:07 pm »

Your mouth continues to move, but no original sounds come out.  Like zombies. :laugh:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2018, 04:47:34 pm »

By definition, the reason to license guns is to know who has them. And if you know who has them, you can then take them at any time, for any reason.

Yes, the purpose of licensure is to connect a gun to its lawful owner.   But it does not follow that licensure is a prelude to confiscation.   That is a misapplication of logic which ignores that, in America,  the Constitution provides both specific protections for gun ownership and general provisions addressing respect for property rights and the due process of law.

I will not give credit to straw man arguments.   At issue in this thread is a study that seems to support the argument that licensure is a useful tool to reduce gun violence.  That is the goal, not confiscation.     
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:49:20 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2018, 04:58:29 pm »
Yes, the purpose of licensure is to connect a gun to its lawful owner.   But it does not follow that licensure is a prelude to confiscation.   That is a misapplication of logic which ignores that, in America,  the Constitution provides both specific protections for gun ownership and general provisions addressing respect for property rights and the due process of law.

I will not give credit to straw man arguments.   At issue in this thread is a study that seems to support the argument that licensure is a useful tool to reduce gun violence.  That is the goal, not confiscation.   

Then you admit that licensing/registration is for the purpose of the govt knowing who has firearms.

What other purpose do you think it serves, other than enforcement?
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2018, 05:33:49 pm »

Historically, the indication is that firearms licensing and registration overwhelmingly leads to confiscation. There are no cases where it did not, just where it hasn't yet.
If confiscation is the goal, you don't need to know.
If the goal is to create legal traps to deprive people of their Rights, you don't need to know.
If confiscation is not the goal, then what you don't know won't hurt me, and you don't need to know.

If you had read the paper at the link I provided, you'd see how the Wiemar gun registrations were used later by the Nazis to confiscate firearms.

So what you think the current Congress might or might not do is irrelevant. There is enough egregious disregard for the Constitution over the last century (actually longer) without ginning up the appearance of people clamoring to divest themselves of their Civil Rights already that some information simply does not need to be collected.
Governments and societies attitudes are transient in nature, despite the attempts by the Founders to hinder that when it comes to our Rights.
I do not trust either my government nor my fellow man to have my best interests and those of my family at the forefront, not enough to disarm. The Founders didn't trust government that much either.
If the "Right" to end innocent lives in some of the most horrific ways known to man can be somehow scrounged up by the courts, in defiance of the most fundamental right (life, itself) then there is no trust to be given those who can readily decree almost anything in spite of the original intent of the Constitution.

What firearms I have or don't, how many, or even whether I just own one, ain't nobody's business but my own. It doesn't matter how warm and fuzzy anyone's intent may be now, the potential for abuse of the information in the future is just too great.
Once revealed, you can't put a secret back in the bag.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 06:30:59 pm »
Then you admit that licensing/registration is for the purpose of the govt knowing who has firearms.

Yes, but not for reason of confiscation, but for the assignment of legal responsibility for a firearm's use and disposition.  Same as with a car.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2018, 06:35:04 pm »
Except there is no provision in the US constitution for a "Right to Keep and Bear Cars."  But you knew that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2018, 06:39:25 pm »
Yes, but not for reason of confiscation, but for the assignment of legal responsibility for a firearm's use and disposition.  Same as with a car.

So says you. However that's a line in the sand you can't enforce. You are relying on face value statements and not considering ulterior intent and agendas of those with greater power than you.

The problem regardless is that registration/licensing applies to law abiding citizens who are likely to obey the law, in contrast to criminals, making the stated reason for doing so ridiculous and ineffective on it's face.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 06:43:34 pm »

@Jazzhead
its not the same as a car.   Cars aren't registered if they arent driven on public roads.  but you knew that

Neither are knives, pillows, hammers, or heck hands.  hands kill more people then guns.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2018, 07:18:26 pm »
So says you. However that's a line in the sand you can't enforce. You are relying on face value statements and not considering ulterior intent and agendas of those with greater power than you.

I am relying on the Constitution to rein in the sort of tyranny you fear.   It's worked well for over two centuries now.   

The problem regardless is that registration/licensing applies to law abiding citizens who are likely to obey the law, in contrast to criminals, making the stated reason for doing so ridiculous and ineffective on it's face.

Don't make me laugh!   Are you referring to the "law-abiding" folks on this forum who vow not to comply and even to shoot dead peace officers who try to enforce the law?   Licensure is an effective tool against criminals;  the lack of licensure provides the basis for taking a criminal's gun away from him.   

There is no constitutional right to keep an arsenal of guns in secret.   The 2A itself is predicated on the need for a "well-regulated" militia.  Licensure and registration is compatible with the Constitution,  arbitrary confiscation isn't.     

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2018, 07:19:49 pm »
@Jazzhead
its not the same as a car.   Cars aren't registered if they arent driven on public roads.  but you knew that

So what? 

Offline thackney

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2018, 08:24:14 pm »

But owning a car does not have that requirement.  Only using it on public roads has that requirement.

If states want to make a carry permit have these requirements, let them add them.  No reason for ownership to require this, same as with a car.

Offline thackney

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2018, 08:26:17 pm »
I am relying on the Constitution to rein in the sort of tyranny you fear.   It's worked well for over two centuries now.   

Don't make me laugh!   Are you referring to the "law-abiding" folks on this forum who vow not to comply and even to shoot dead peace officers who try to enforce the law?   Licensure is an effective tool against criminals;  the lack of licensure provides the basis for taking a criminal's gun away from him.   

There is no constitutional right to keep an arsenal of guns in secret.   The 2A itself is predicated on the need for a "well-regulated" militia.  Licensure and registration is compatible with the Constitution,  arbitrary confiscation isn't.   

Nonsense.  It only makes a criminal out of current law abiding citizens.  If they are a criminal (felony) they already have that basis.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2018, 09:34:30 pm »

So you are opening the door to the abuse and erosion of constitutional rights, then hoping beyond hope they won't be abused?

You then, in the very next sentence and after asserting it won't be abused, seem willing to take unleash that very abuse on previously law abiding gun owners, by manufacturing a new class of criminal that weren't criminals before, nor likely to be in the future, yet were suddenly criminals due to nothing but a change in the law.

You justify this based on the presumption that because they desire to keep their gun ownership private that essentially makes them criminal, so you are willing to pass a law to make them so based on your papal decree of what the 2A means.

You then imply that you're willing to go door-to-door to confiscate same previously legal firearms that are now illegal, because you have made these people criminals who weren't before, after having previously moralized they were engaging in criminal activity because of their possible desire to defend themselves from you suddenly making them into criminals. Therefore in the end accomplishing the very goal you said wouldn't happen.

Meanwhile, no real crime of violence has been committed by these people, while the real criminals continue to prey on society because they don't care about the law, and nothing is solved because registration will not solve violent crime.

You have made no case that licensing guns will stop crime or how exactly it would get illegal weapons out of the hands of criminals. You've made an excellent case in how the State could create the excuse to confiscate weapons and justify it by claiming that possibly defending yourself from that is presumptively criminal.

You are literally making my argument.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:37:28 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2018, 02:07:44 am »

OH, bullshit. Evewr hear of this?

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
I will not provide a shopping list for anyone.

Credit card information is worth a mint. People hack it and steal it daily. Entire identities are 'stolen' and people ruined because those who are supposed to keep that information secure FAIL. An entire industry has sprung up around data protection and mitigation of the results when those protections fail.
So what is to stop really dedicated criminal elements from hacking that information in government hands and selling neighborhood specific shopping lists to those who would use them to select robbery/burglary/home invasion targets? That information would be worth a lot to thieves. Few people are home 24/7/365 to deter such theft, and some more motivated thieves don't care if they are or not.

NOTHING. But you think we should trust our well being and security to people who can hide behind a sovereign immunity clause and suffer none of the depredations, injury (economic or physical) or even death because they failed to secure that information and it fell into the wrong hands. No effing way.

I know how many people it takes to keep a secret: one. Beyond that, it isn't a secret any more.
The less information is out there, the less can be stolen. It's the reason people try to keep their financial data, addresses, use avatars online, don't post their picture on political forums, etc. Why would anyone want a list of items they own, often worth thousands of dollars, in the hands of those who have no real incentive to keep that information secure, who have no personal downside to it being 'lost' or hacked, and who, in the event of misuse of that information will suffer no penalty?

It really is no one's business what I have or don't so long as it poses no imminent hazard to you. If it's mere presence poses no hazard, and none of my firearms have ever left the place I have stored them and gone off on some shooting spree or even threatened another person.
My mere possession of a firearm poses no hazard to anyone who is conducting themselves in a moral and lawful fashion-- those rules of behaviour and respect for property we as a culture have settled on. 
I reserve the Right to defend me and mine, my family, life, and property, with lethal force if necessary, under It is only when people step outside those bounds that my firearm may become a threatening piece of hardware, that its mere presence may pose a threat to those who neither respect my rights nor the law.

How about:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
I am not going to give you that information. Nor will you deprive me of my property because someone might wet themselves over the thought that I might merely own something.

I am not responsible for the ability of others to conjure violent fantasies which simply do not conform to reality, nor am I responsible for the promotion of such images, be they fictional or even occasionally real in the various forms of media out there from television to video games and movies. Perhaps if those images are disturbing people that much that they want to make me give up my property, people should watch something else, or we should make horror movies (splatterflicks) which use ordinary household items as weapons and promote registration of kitchen gadgets and power tools. Or not. Maybe liberals would be howling for the registration of melon ballers and hand blenders.

So tell me, what difference does it make if your neighbor has a Ma Deuce in his basement if he isn't threatening others? None whatsoever. No more than a Picasso on your wall, or Hummel figurines, or porn DVDs on your shelf, the knives in your kitchen, or the chainsaw or axe in your garage.. It isn't having the object, it is how you use it.

As for "potential this that or the other, blah, blah,blah...." Wrap your pointy head around this thought. The Wiemar gun registration wasn't for confiscation purposes. BUT once that information was available, within two decades it had been used to confiscate firearms by another iteration of German leadership.

It doesn't matter one damned bit what good intentions you wave when you say "Licensing, yadda, yadda, yadda..." ad infinitum. THAT isn't the sole issue, albeit an infringement on my 2nd Amendment rights, the issue is one of there being no guarantee that the information would not be used in exactly the manner we have observed that information being used in other countries, and indeed, even in some states in the US.

With the overwhelming number of instances where registration exactly led to confiscation, either by the registering authority or by subsequent administrations, the government has no compelling reason to know what firearms I may or may not have. I am not operating them on the highway, they were lawfully obtained through purchase or trade, and are not stolen, they are not a public threat. Trust ME. I have lived over half a century without misusing a firearm, so TRUST ME. I could conceivably be just as destructive to a public without firearms, should I be so inclined, and if you look around the world, there are serious incidents which cause loss of lives and injury to even more people without a firearm even being involved. Ultimately, it isn't the firearm which is the source of your fear, it is the fear that others will resist, with every fiber of their being, the attempt to use government to micromanage the affairs of the individual.
It is almost amusing to me and doubtless others that as you champion the rights of the group who brought AIDS to the forefront as a disease, and all their rights, right down to having cakes baked for them, that you think gun owners should be subjected to registration schemes. What if the call was to register homosexuals?--just for public health purposes, mind you, after all, 1 in 5 homosexual males have HIV, and nearly 2/3 of new infections occur within that group. What would you say to that?  Would you object? Those numbers look a lot worse than the percentage of guns (>ahem< firearms) involved in crime.

We know how that worked out in the 30s, don't we?

Historically, such databases have only facilitated the eventual loss of life, property, and liberty, either taken by the very supposedly benevolent governments which gathered that information, or subsequent authorities who were not so benevolent.
I do not trust any administration, even with Constitutional protections, to have information about what firearms I may own, because the potential for the abuse of that information, and the possible consequences of that, whether by authorities or others  is so profound. In the post semantic era, where words no longer seem to have the meanings they did have (how Roberts ruled the penalty was a tax), I don't trust the SCOTUS to clean up the mess, either.

C S Lewis

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2018, 02:34:23 am »
OH, bullshit. Evewr hear of this?
I will not provide a shopping list for anyone.

Credit card information is worth a mint. People hack it and steal it daily. Entire identities are 'stolen' and people ruined because those who are supposed to keep that information secure FAIL. An entire industry has sprung up around data protection and mitigation of the results when those protections fail.
So what is to stop really dedicated criminal elements from hacking that information in government hands and selling neighborhood specific shopping lists to those who would use them to select robbery/burglary/home invasion targets? That information would be worth a lot to thieves. Few people are home 24/7/365 to deter such theft, and some more motivated thieves don't care if they are or not.

NOTHING. But you think we should trust our well being and security to people who can hide behind a sovereign immunity clause and suffer none of the depredations, injury (economic or physical) or even death because they failed to secure that information and it fell into the wrong hands. No effing way.

I know how many people it takes to keep a secret: one. Beyond that, it isn't a secret any more.
The less information is out there, the less can be stolen. It's the reason people try to keep their financial data, addresses, use avatars online, don't post their picture on political forums, etc. Why would anyone want a list of items they own, often worth thousands of dollars, in the hands of those who have no real incentive to keep that information secure, who have no personal downside to it being 'lost' or hacked, and who, in the event of misuse of that information will suffer no penalty?

It really is no one's business what I have or don't so long as it poses no imminent hazard to you. If it's mere presence poses no hazard, and none of my firearms have ever left the place I have stored them and gone off on some shooting spree or even threatened another person.
My mere possession of a firearm poses no hazard to anyone who is conducting themselves in a moral and lawful fashion-- those rules of behaviour and respect for property we as a culture have settled on. 
I reserve the Right to defend me and mine, my family, life, and property, with lethal force if necessary, under It is only when people step outside those bounds that my firearm may become a threatening piece of hardware, that its mere presence may pose a threat to those who neither respect my rights nor the law.

How about: I am not going to give you that information. Nor will you deprive me of my property because someone might wet themselves over the thought that I might merely own something.

I am not responsible for the ability of others to conjure violent fantasies which simply do not conform to reality, nor am I responsible for the promotion of such images, be they fictional or even occasionally real in the various forms of media out there from television to video games and movies. Perhaps if those images are disturbing people that much that they want to make me give up my property, people should watch something else, or we should make horror movies (splatterflicks) which use ordinary household items as weapons and promote registration of kitchen gadgets and power tools. Or not. Maybe liberals would be howling for the registration of melon ballers and hand blenders.

So tell me, what difference does it make if your neighbor has a Ma Deuce in his basement if he isn't threatening others? None whatsoever. No more than a Picasso on your wall, or Hummel figurines, or porn DVDs on your shelf, the knives in your kitchen, or the chainsaw or axe in your garage.. It isn't having the object, it is how you use it.

As for "potential this that or the other, blah, blah,blah...." Wrap your pointy head around this thought. The Wiemar gun registration wasn't for confiscation purposes. BUT once that information was available, within two decades it had been used to confiscate firearms by another iteration of German leadership.

It doesn't matter one damned bit what good intentions you wave when you say "Licensing, yadda, yadda, yadda..." ad infinitum. THAT isn't the sole issue, albeit an infringement on my 2nd Amendment rights, the issue is one of there being no guarantee that the information would not be used in exactly the manner we have observed that information being used in other countries, and indeed, even in some states in the US.

With the overwhelming number of instances where registration exactly led to confiscation, either by the registering authority or by subsequent administrations, the government has no compelling reason to know what firearms I may or may not have. I am not operating them on the highway, they were lawfully obtained through purchase or trade, and are not stolen, they are not a public threat. Trust ME. I have lived over half a century without misusing a firearm, so TRUST ME. I could conceivably be just as destructive to a public without firearms, should I be so inclined, and if you look around the world, there are serious incidents which cause loss of lives and injury to even more people without a firearm even being involved. Ultimately, it isn't the firearm which is the source of your fear, it is the fear that others will resist, with every fiber of their being, the attempt to use government to micromanage the affairs of the individual.
It is almost amusing to me and doubtless others that as you champion the rights of the group who brought AIDS to the forefront as a disease, and all their rights, right down to having cakes baked for them, that you think gun owners should be subjected to registration schemes. What if the call was to register homosexuals?--just for public health purposes, mind you, after all, 1 in 5 homosexual males have HIV, and nearly 2/3 of new infections occur within that group. What would you say to that?  Would you object? Those numbers look a lot worse than the percentage of guns (>ahem< firearms) involved in crime.

We know how that worked out in the 30s, don't we?

Historically, such databases have only facilitated the eventual loss of life, property, and liberty, either taken by the very supposedly benevolent governments which gathered that information, or subsequent authorities who were not so benevolent.
I do not trust any administration, even with Constitutional protections, to have information about what firearms I may own, because the potential for the abuse of that information, and the possible consequences of that, whether by authorities or others  is so profound. In the post semantic era, where words no longer seem to have the meanings they did have (how Roberts ruled the penalty was a tax), I don't trust the SCOTUS to clean up the mess, either.
blij26 :da man: :hands:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2018, 12:56:21 pm »
I give no credit to slippery slope arguments.   A law requiring the licensure of gun owners and/or the registration of firearms is compatible with the Second Amendment,  and the potential abuse of such a law is addressed by the Constitution's protections.   I will stand right with you if your Constitutional rights are infringed.   Confiscation of property is the act of a tyrant, and must be opposed.   But licensure and registration for the purposes of efficient and effective law enforcement,  to lift more gun transactions out of the shadows and off of the back of trucks,  is both Constitutional and, it sure as heck seems to me, simple common sense.   

What you do not have is the Constitutional right to be a law unto yourself.  If the community decides that as a gun owner you must be licensed, just as you are with respect to the cars you drive,  then yes, you are no longer law-abiding if you refuse to comply.   Because such a law is lawfully enacted and consistent with the Constitution, and you are a member of the community.

It is up to you whether to risk the law's sanction.  Will you come out with guns blazing?  If you do, you may or may not lose your life.  But you will surely have lost your moral authority, in the eyes of man and of God.   

Offline thackney

« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2018, 01:06:46 pm »
I give no credit to slippery slope arguments.   A law requiring the licensure of gun owners and/or the registration of firearms is compatible with the Second Amendment,  and the potential abuse of such a law is addressed by the Constitution's protections.   I will stand right with you if your Constitutional rights are infringed.   Confiscation of property is the act of a tyrant, and must be opposed.   But licensure and registration for the purposes of efficient and effective law enforcement,  to lift more gun transactions out of the shadows and off of the back of trucks,  is both Constitutional and, it sure as heck seems to me, simple common sense.   

What you do not have is the Constitutional right to be a law unto yourself.  If the community decides that as a gun owner you must be licensed, just as you are with respect to the cars you drive,  then yes, you are no longer law-abiding if you refuse to comply.   Because such a law is lawfully enacted and consistent with the Constitution, and you are a member of the community.

It is up to you whether to risk the law's sanction.  Will you come out with guns blazing?  If you do, you may or may not lose your life.  But you will surely have lost your moral authority, in the eyes of man and of God.   

How fortunate we are to live in areas communities that think as we do, and do not have such laws.

We don't risk any sanctions from laws that don't exist.  And we will work to see that they don't exist.

Your hypothetical situation claiming moral authority remains hypothetical.