Author Topic: On a bridge over the Rio Grande, Central American asylum seekers set up camp — and wait  (Read 649 times)

rangerrebew

On a bridge over the Rio Grande, Central American asylum seekers set up camp — and wait

By Molly Hennessy-Fiske, Los Angeles Times
    17 hrs ago

The migrants seeking asylum say they presented their documents to U.S. Customs officials on the bridge. But the officials said the families have to wait on the Mexican side of the bridge because there isn't enough space for them to be processed.

Central American families are camped out on a border bridge between Ciudad Miguel Aleman and Roma, Texas, on June 4, 2018. The migrants seeking asylum say they presented their documents to U.S.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/on-...ait/ar-AAyiton

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I wonder why the picked Roma?  It's a nothing kind of place and somewhat off the beaten track.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Maybe they were looking for a low transit bridge. Cd. Miguel Aleman is pretty small as well.

Maybe charitable organizations are in one of those towns. I read some article on a church taking care of some of these types in border towns.

So, there could be a few reasons.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:42:36 pm by TomSea »

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Time to bring back drawbridges....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Time to bring back drawbridges....

And moats with crocs
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I haven't been to Roma in years, so I pulled up Google Maps.  Here's a picture a block or so from the Customs Office at the bridge:

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Tamaluipas is suppose to be a dangerous Mexican state and even issued a travel warning: https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/americas/mexico-travel-warning/index.html
Those other cities on the border in that state sound like they even have shoot outs ever so often.

That crossing might be safer. It certainly is a problem down there.

Offline dfwgator

And moats with crocs

With sharks with lasers attached to their heads.