Author Topic: World Cup Soccer Discussion Thread (updated)  (Read 10669 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: World Cup Soccer Discussion Thread (updated)
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2018, 12:59:44 am »
In 2014, it upset me even if I am not a Russia fan that at the Brazil World Cup, some idiot in the crowd was shining a laser into the Russian goalkeeper's eyes. Akinfeev, well, he was the big hero today at the World Cup, so I am happy for him.

Maybe everyone knows, Russia very unexpectedly defeated Spain today in a penalty shootout.

! No longer available

Whatever happened above, the other team scored. It looks like it would not have really affected him too much there though, it could have confused him.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:39:59 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2018, 01:09:13 pm »
Casual soccer games in Russia... this is the way to do it...

https://themoscowtimes.com/photogalleries/russian-football-out-of-the-spotlight-62104

Offline TomSea

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2018, 03:39:41 pm »
England going nuts over reaching the Semi-Finals of the World Cup.... so much news, that was fantastic by Belgium as well to defeat perpetual favorites Brazil on Friday.

There's footage out where a man jumps off a double-decker bus onto a bus stop shelter and he goes through the roof. I hope they don't get too unruly.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6722192/england-fan-london-bus-stop-world-cup-2018-celebrations/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6718337/england-vs-sweden-world-cup-2018-party-semi-final-28-years/

He jumps right through the roof, it knocked a woman down but she looked mostly okay.  Lots of drunkenness and so on.  There's always some idiots around.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:41:58 pm by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2018, 03:46:26 pm »
I’m rooting for England
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2018, 03:49:38 pm »
Belgium too, showing they might win it all.

"Belgium Red Devils", nickname.

Final 4,

Belgium vs. France, Tuesday

England vs. Croatia, Wednesday

Not one team I dislike.

Croatian fans have acted very rowdy in the past as well and have been punished for their acts. But the fans are not the team. I hope everyone behaves.

Belgium really look like a team of destiny, I think they've got it to win it all. It'd be great for soccer/football.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 03:50:27 pm by TomSea »

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2018, 03:31:49 pm »
I’m rooting for England

Same here!

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2018, 03:34:23 pm »
I’m rooting for England

Hrvatska!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »
None of these teams should be looking beyond the semi-final. I think France is the "favorite" of the 4 teams....as I said, this is one final 4 where I like all of the teams. I know some don't like the over-the-top boisterousness of the British/English press. I've watched closely every World Cup since '86, so that is about 9 World Cups ago and that is a lot of English failure.  That said, it would be great for Belgium to do well. And here, we are always hearing how Europe is going down the tubes, not with soccer.

When we hosted in 1994, France nor England even made that World Cup which is pretty interesting, seeing how we are somewhat or very connected to both of those teams, especially, obviously, historically.

When the World Cup comes to the USA (and Canada and Mexico as we all will host it),  48 teams will be there. It's starting to get very big. 32 are there this time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2018, 04:06:26 pm »
None of these teams should be looking beyond the semi-final. I think France is the "favorite" of the 4 teams....as I said, this is one final 4 where I like all of the teams. I know some don't like the over-the-top boisterousness of the British/English press. I've watched closely every World Cup since '86, so that is about 9 World Cups ago and that is a lot of English failure.  That said, it would be great for Belgium to do well. And here, we are always hearing how Europe is going down the tubes, not with soccer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup

Note that England, France and Belgium all benefit from their colonialist pasts in terms of who now comprises their teams.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:09:22 pm by dfwgator »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2018, 04:14:13 pm »
That's a good point. Italy largely never took from a colonial past either, I guess Mario Balotelli's parents even came as refugees as Italy has plenty of.  Even the German team this time, were mainly German, save for people like Ozil and Boateng and they were not really from a colonial past either.

Italy play too much gamesmanship and I despise that style. IMHO.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 04:14:59 pm by TomSea »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2018, 04:17:31 pm »
That's a good point. Italy largely never took from a colonial past either, 

Not that Mussolini didn't try.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2018, 04:19:59 pm »
That's a good point. Italy largely never took from a colonial past either, I guess Mario Balotelli's parents even came as refugees as Italy has plenty of.  Even the German team this time, were mainly German, save for people like Ozil and Boateng and they were not really from a colonial past either.

Italy play too much gamesmanship and I despise that style. IMHO.

I think some NFL scouts look at Lukaku and think he'd be a heckuva running back.   Size, speed, nimble feet. 

Offline TomSea

« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2018, 05:19:30 pm »
Not that Mussolini didn't try.

Italy "poached" players in Uruguay and Argentina, that is a bit different than taking from former colonized areas if that is the reference.

Even now, some Americans have an opportunity to play for the country of their parents and grandparents like that Italian fellow from NJ/NY a few years ago. I forget his name. A Pole could do it, maybe Alexei Lalas could have played for Greece.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2018, 05:35:57 pm »
Italy "poached" players in Uruguay and Argentina, that is a bit different than taking from former colonized areas if that is the reference.

Mussolini grabbed the North African countries of Libya and Ethiopia, basically wanted all the states on the Mediterranean.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2018, 09:26:42 pm »
But Italy basically never used anyone from those colonial lands, I think that's the point. There was some Italian surname (they settled those parts yes) who they were looking at.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2018, 08:23:56 pm »
I think we have seen the Champion and it was the winner today....no matter how much I might not like saying that....I doubt if England or Croatia will do better but, after all, that's why they play the game.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2018, 10:00:27 pm »
I am happy for Croatia, it would be great for football if they went on to win it all.... and now, I think they maybe can.... France dominated a very good Belgian squad.

The country of John Kasich's and many others ancestors did very well today....

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/ognjen-vukojevic-croatian-football-federation-domagoj-vida-croatia-russia-ukraine-a8438691.html    If people hadn't heard about it, a Croatian player and assistant manager got into a bit of hot water, no, they shouldn't have done this, just like the Swiss players should not have done that double eagle sign playing against Serbia. Leave politics out of it, if possible. Amazing game.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2018, 10:08:41 pm »
I am happy for Croatia, it would be great for football if they went on to win it all.... 

President Trump with the Croatian President.    Suck it, Macron!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2018, 10:16:40 pm »

President Trump with the Croatian President.    Suck it, Macron!

The way you get on Ukraine, you can easily get on Croatia for the same reasons.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2018, 10:16:56 pm »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #70 on: July 11, 2018, 10:37:15 pm »
I made a poll for the World Cup in polls.

Guest are welcome.

You can tell it’s mine, there’s a cat playing scoccer

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?topic=324109.new;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 10:38:11 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2018, 07:18:21 am »
Checking some "soccerway.com" stats for head to head matches, between England and Croatia,

And yes! Historical matches are just that, in the past, still interesting to look at.

They've met 8 times now, Croatia winning 3 times after today's game, England winning 4 times, 1 draw. Of course, the World Cup, Euro Cup and Qualifiers is where it really matters.

https://us.soccerway.com/teams/comparison/?team_ids%5B%5D=514&team_ids%5B%5D=774

Croatia vs. France, they've met 5 times,  Croatia has never defeated France, 3 losses, 2 draws:

https://us.soccerway.com/teams/comparison/?team_ids%5B%5D=514&team_ids%5B%5D=944

Croatia, England and Spain are in the UEFA "Nations League", I had never heard of this. Croatia and England will play 2 times this year, in October and November. I wonder if this will be the men's team. I had NOT previously heard of this Nations League.

https://us.soccerway.com/international/europe/uefa-nations-league/20182019/league-a/group-4/g12057/

Sounds like something new.

Also, if one looks up the information, the Russian manager, apparently, a sharp manager was previously at Legia Warsaw but only for a short time. That was interesting.

Stanislaw Cherchesov, 2015-2016, check it out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legia_Warsaw#Coaches_and_managers

Of all things, the current manager at Legia Warsaw is a Croatian:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legia_Warsaw#Coaches_and_managers

Pretty interesting, of course, I believe Legia is basically the top team in Poland, kind of the way, some "could" say Manchester United has been the top team in England and the way, one could say Rangers and Celtic have generally been tops in Scotland.

@dfwgator

One might find the above of interest.

In 1994, of course, Bora Mitulinovic was our manager, a Serbian: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bora_Milutinovi%C4%87

Bora is/was a noted Anglophile, like many of us, listening to British rock music, it kind of influenced him. That's a bit of an interesting side note. Sometimes, a lot of us, just tend to cheer for England. I'm certainly glad Croatia won. I've watched the England team in the World Cup since 1986 when they had Gary Lineker, Peter Shilton I believe was the goalkeeper. Yes, now, it's a different makeup.

Very well done Croatia, that 2nd goal was off of the players left foot, I doubt that was his main foot, it was just very crafty and resourceful. How great it would be for soccer/football to see Croatia win it.

France lost the last Euro to Portugal.... they won't want to be losing again.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 07:31:23 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2018, 03:36:53 am »
3rd place game, Belgium England, Saturday morning in most of the USA

Championship game, Sunday morning, Croatia France.....

Just posting this note, check your local listings.... so, you know it's fairly early tomorrow and Sunday. Tomorrow's match begins about 9 AM CST

Offline TomSea

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2018, 03:48:31 am »

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/conspiracy-theories-make-the-world-cup-go-round-62210

Just some humor, I did hear someone mention something about doping, okay, you can watch the Russia/Croatia game, you can see the Croatians got winded, late in the match... as for Russia? Someone said they were running around like they could go on and on. I don't know, I hope that is not so... because they played very, very well.

So FIFA said Russia was not having any kinds of problems per doping back during the end of June: https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/conspiracy-theories-make-the-world-cup-go-round-62210

It's just that, we shouldn't forget, Russia had lots of problems with the winter Olympics and summer ones too, having some medals taken away. On the other hand, I doubt if they doped because FIFA has a fairly good drug testing regimen.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 03:52:01 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2018, 04:04:59 am »
Slivovitz.

What the Croatians and others in the Former Yugoslavia drink. A bit too strong for me. I have tried it.

Also, everyone has heard of the dog breed, Dalmatians. That's a region of Croatia,  Dalmatia.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 04:23:10 am by TomSea »