Author Topic: World Cup Soccer Discussion Thread (updated)  (Read 10715 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: World Cup Soccer Discussion Thread (updated)
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2018, 03:27:33 am »
I saw this on Fox earlier, Mattis is actually in the Balkans and he had a Croatia scarf, of course, the Croatian flag has that red checker board pattern in it. He is in Zagreb, Croatia here.

I do like France too, they have already won the World Cup, it might be nice to spread it around... if possible.  It should be a very exciting match.

It just dawned on me, July 14th, this will be Bastille Day in France too, their 4th of July.....  edit on, the 14th of July is Bastille day.

----------

Match On,

France scores in 20th minute, our announcer, Taylor Twellman(?) said the Frenchman, Griezman,  took a dive, France converts Free Kick... I wonder why that wasn't reviewed? Anyway...30th minute, Croatia draws it up, 1-1.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:32:46 pm by TomSea »

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2018, 05:39:08 pm »
It’s France! 4-2
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2018, 08:23:52 pm »
Congrats to France, at the 2006 World Cup, I would have given an arm and a leg for France to defeat Italy.... okay, exagg but,

Croatia were a bit hard done in that game, even the BBC seems to infer that....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44754965

But you know what? At the same time, it's probably true to say no country in the history of the World Cup has been as hard done as France, say vs. Germany in 1982,

! No longer available

Germany has been a classy team since 2006, since the 2000s let's say but those teams, Germany, Italy and I'll even include Argentina and Brazil, I just think they won ugly and I think in the future, we won't see as much as them, we are in a different era.

As They Say!

And congrats to Croatia for a very good match too, I think the breaks went against them.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #78 on: July 15, 2018, 08:24:44 pm »

Offline musiclady

« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2018, 11:41:12 pm »
Exciting game.  Wrong outcome.

Croatia had an outstanding tournament.  Good for them.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2018, 02:19:17 am »
The Euro (Cup) is in 2 years, 2020... not that long of a wait. So, we really have a major tournament every 2 years.

Most people will say the World Cup is more prestigious, it probably is but the Euro is a "major trophy" as well. Also, the more and more, Europe wins the World Cup, the better the Euro Cup looks. I don't know when South America will bounce back. So the Euro is a lot like the World Cup, sometimes, imho, the quality of play is even better. The World Cup really needed that VAR because at times, the World Cup, all the same was farcical, some calls were so bad.

I know, it's difficult for any team to reach that summit but not quite make the top.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2018, 02:20:58 am »
I liked the old French teams, this one? Well, they have some celebrating (and looting and tear gas being fired) in Paris tonight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5956427/French-fans-home-abroad-erupt-celebration-sides-second-World-Cup-triumph.html

Offline TomSea

« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2018, 02:23:07 am »
Right after the '06 World Cup, maybe not the day after the final but the weeks after, I was able to score some nice World Cup merchandise at deep discounts.  If one is interested, one might check out some of the sporting good stores like Dick's and Champs.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2018, 02:40:20 am »
The Euro (Cup) is in 2 years, 2020... not that long of a wait. So, we really have a major tournament every 2 years.

The Copa America will be going on at the same time,  it's not finalized yet, but they are going to make it a combined CONCACAF/COMNEBOL tournament, just like the 2016 Centenario tournament.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2018, 03:58:23 pm »

More: http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/croats-spectacularly-welcoming-national-team-players-07-16-2018

The above website also has an article on a Nationalist Singer of Croatia,

No matter how small a minority, the Nationalists and Neo-Nazi types are in Croatia, they definitely are there without a doubt.

(link corrected)
NEWS 17 Jul 18
Nationalist Singer Joins Croatia Players at Homecoming Party
http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/article/controversial-right-wring-singer-a-special-guest-of-croatian-footballers-07-17-2018

This happened a few years ago:

Croatian fans form human swastika during soccer match
https://www.jpost.com/Jewish-World/Jewish-News/Croation-fans-form-swastika-during-soccer-match

That will be a knock on Croatia, they came through a very harsh war as well, the early '90s and Vukovar.

We have many fine Croatian-Americans who of course, would have nothing to do with such actions as above.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:07:08 pm by TomSea »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2018, 04:00:50 pm »
I take it there were no riots in Croatia after the game?

Offline musiclady

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2018, 04:10:01 pm »

Three of our kids were in Croatia when they won the semi-finals, and there was only happiness and cherry brandy.  ^-^

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2018, 04:11:56 pm »
Three of our kids were in Croatia when they won the semi-finals, and there was only happiness and cherry brandy.  ^-^

Croatia is on our "must visit" list.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2018, 04:14:49 pm »

I noticed during the celebrations in Paris, there were relatively few females in the crowd.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2018, 05:58:29 pm »
Croatia is on our "must visit" list.

Our son is living in the region (thus the sibling visit), and everyone says it’s absolutely gorgeous!

Lord willing, we’ll see for ourselves next spring!  ^-^

Offline TomSea

« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2018, 04:02:31 am »
A lot of people think this or similar, it's odd, that the head-of-state of Venezuela, a known far-left and gangster state to tell one the truth, said this though.

'Africa real' World Cup winners, says Venezuela's Maduro

Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro believes Africa and not France are the true winners of the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

France beat Croatia 4-2 in Sunday's final in Moscow, but with a team featuring number players of African heritage.

"The French team seems like the African team, in reality Africa won, the African immigrants who arrived in France," Maduro said at an event to celebrate police day in Venezuela on Monday.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/africa-real-world-cup-winners-says-venezuelas-maduro/ar-AAAcMqD

Those players though of African descent, actually seem like some pretty decent folk.

Prior to this, the last 3 champs were Germany, Spain and Italy.

France has a huge talent pool and soccer camp system.... even with that, they have had some weak tournaments.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 04:12:39 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2018, 04:13:20 am »

They lost. I take it there were no Neo-Nazis in Paris.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2018, 04:31:34 am »
They lost. I take it there were no Neo-Nazis in Paris.

Well aren't you supposed to riot when you lose?

Offline TomSea

« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2018, 01:52:40 pm »
I heard France's style called "anti-football" at times, it wasn't like that all the time. Not in the final.

People are confronted with something new, they study up on it. I think teams can prepare for it in the future.  They will be good, I"m not sure if it will be an extended time of dominance. They deserve all of the credit for their performances.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2018, 07:02:51 pm »
Max Boot on the world cup, 8 days ago:
https://www.dentonrc.com/opinion/columnists/max-boot-i-hardly-questioned-american-exceptionalism-soccer-changed-that/article_820fa2dc-5aa6-590d-b0a2-93aab49c1ba4.html

Max Boot: I hardly questioned American exceptionalism. Soccer changed that.
Max Boot Syndicated Columnist

Not much there if I may say so, largely idle talk.

But the right name to comment on soccer, he played it even per the article.... so, fine.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:22:36 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2018, 03:11:50 pm »
Mesut Ozil international retirement statement in full
Mark Jones

Mesut Ozil has released a remarkable 2,320-word statement confirming his retirement from international football and slamming the "racism and disrespect" he has suffered.

The Arsenal star was criticised for meeting with Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan before the World Cup, and then slammed for his performances in Russia as Germany went out in the group stages.

The 29-year-old released the statement in three separate tweets across the day on Sunday, and said that he couldn't bring himself to wear the Germany shirt any more.

Read more at: https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mesut-ozil-international-retirement-statement-12963681

Major star, important part of the German team that won the World and Euro Cup.

He was in a photo with Erdogan.

Ozil was in a picture with Erdogan, Alex Ovechkin of the Washington Capitals has said he supports Putin, it's sort of the same kind of deal. We are not saying, Ovechkin should step down or is he facing serious criticism? I did watch this situation developing with Ozil.

https://www.turkishminute.com/2018/07/23/german-footballer-ozil-quits-national-team-citing-discrimination/

I'm not sure this is the most recent photo, I saw others but I think the hubbub is over a recent meeting between Erdogan and Ozil.

Players will be players.

- bild.de

FTR update, for the record, the German Football Federation rejects charges of racism that Ozil brought to their attention.  Seemed like a nice enough fellow. Too bad. Research for more on this story.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 03:42:57 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2018, 02:12:57 pm »
Anyone, we can set this as a "non-sticky" now. If no moderator does this, perhaps I will in 24 hours time if that is okay. I don't want to do things I'm not necessarily authorized to do.

Thanks for the fine thread.

4-3-2-1  Removing the sticky.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:35:53 am by TomSea »