Author Topic: Trump claims thousands had to be rescued after going 'out in their boats to watch' Hurricane Harvey  (Read 15291 times)

Offline thackney

...I think that 16,000 coast guard rescues seems like an awfully high number.

Coast Guard Completes Search and Rescue Operations in Response to Harvey
http://www.wkrg.com/news/national/coast-guard-completes-search-and-rescue-operations-in-response-to-harvey/867859645
Sep 07, 2017

..."The Coast Guard's response to Hurricane Harvey is one of the largest our organization has seen in decades, and men and women from the furthest reaches of our service answered the call to assist others in their time of need," said Rear Adm. Paul Thomas, commander of the Coast Guard 8th District. "I'm incredibly proud and humbled by the resiliency of our first responders who were deeply impacted but continued to work around the clock to save more than 11,000 people in a matter of days."...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Some more Coast Guard rescues in 2017:

Admiral Schultz had commanded the Coast Guard’s Atlantic area and last year oversaw the fleet’s response to Hurricanes Irma, Maria and Harvey. The service rescued nearly 12,000 people along the East Coast and in Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands during the deadly 2017 hurricane season.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/01/us/politics/coast-guard-commandant-schultz-.html

Offline aligncare

FTA:

President Trump claimed Tuesday that people had to be rescued during Hurricane Harvey last year after they “went out in their boats to watch the hurricane.”

Trump made the comments at a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) briefing on the upcoming hurricane season while praising the Coast Guard’s efforts during last year’s storm in Texas.

"They saved 16,000 people, many of them in Texas, for whatever reason that is," Trump said of the Coast Guard. "People went out in their boats to watch the hurricane. That didn't work out too well."

Disjointed quotes, likely out of context (haven’t we learned our lesson yet? Enemedia whores have an agenda with these hair-on-fire stories).

Fake news again. And the usual suspects jump whenever the media says jump. Predictable.

Offline GrouchoTex

It is not uncommon for commercial fishermen and large ship operators to take larger craft out to sea instead of leaving them docked during a hurricane. It is less risk of damage. At that, during some bad storms, the Coast Guard will often order large craft out to sea. I doubt a lot of these just went out to watch the storm.

This is true, larger ships will indeed do this.

Offline RoosGirl

FTA:

Disjointed quotes, likely out of context (haven’t we learned our lesson yet? Enemedia whores have an agenda with these hair-on-fire stories).

Fake news again. And the usual suspects jump whenever the media says jump. Predictable.

Bullshit.  Did you watch the video?  I did.  They're not disjointed quotes at all.  It's exactly what he said.  It just seems disjointed because he speaks like a fool.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/07/politics/donald-trump-fema-hurricane-harvey/index.html

Offline GrouchoTex

FTA:

Well, I did see the comment made on our local news, and it didn't seem cut up, but you never know if they played it in it's entirety.

Offline aligncare

Bullshit.  Did you watch the video?  I did.  They're not disjointed quotes at all.  It's exactly what he said.  It just seems disjointed because he speaks like a fool.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/07/politics/donald-trump-fema-hurricane-harvey/index.html

You forget, I understand Trumpese. You on the other hand, simply go after him with an agenda, which coincidentally mirrors the media’s.

Offline RoosGirl

You forget, I understand Trumpese. You on the other hand, simply go after him with an agenda, which coincidentally mirrors the media’s.

First the media was making up fake news, taking quotes out of order to make Trump looks stupid.  Now it's my fault he looks stupid because I pay attention to what he's actually said.  I can't imagine why some Trump supporters here get so much shit for being "AlwaysTrump".

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@aligncare
The media sets the agenda, the left and the NT follow it lockstep.  Because like good marketing it tells them what they want to hear.   Not necessarily the truth.

Of course you could argue that the left sets the medias agenda but lets not quibble
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

@aligncare
The media sets the agenda, the left and the NT follow it lockstep.  Because like good marketing it tells them what they want to hear.   Not necessarily the truth.

Of course you could argue that the left sets the medias agenda but lets not quibble

So the video is wrong then?  It's been doctored?

Offline driftdiver

So the video is wrong then?  It's been doctored?

@RoosGirl
Well hey the media says its right so it must be.   Continue on following your leader.

Offline RoosGirl

@RoosGirl
Well hey the media says its right so it must be.   Continue on following your leader.

I posted a link to the video of the conference call.  The quote is exactly what Trump said. Watch the video.  Come back and tell me that it's been doctored.  Y'all are just wrong about this.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I'm glad we have a Fourth estate to protect us from Trump's statements that mean nothing.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline aligncare

I'm glad we have a Fourth estate to protect us from Trump's statements that mean nothing.

Yes, exactly. That’s the point, to create as much doubt (noise) about Trump everyday. So, they take every utterance as a daily opportunity to post breathless headlines, knowing most people won’t bother to dissect the narrative. And that includes his detractors here that like to vent at TBR.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 06:02:01 pm by aligncare »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
@aligncare

It seems Trump is setting the agenda with his constant exagerrations, lies, and 'truthful hyperbole'. Aren't we always being told he is playing the media brilliantly through nth degree chess. If so, it isn't the media leading this agenda.

The thing is, it wouldnt be an issue if he  were an honest person who took measure of his words and deeds.

Truth matters, character matters.

Offline RoosGirl

Yes, exactly. That’s the point, to create as much doubt (noise) about Trump everyday. So, they take every utterance as a daily opportunity to post breathless headlines, knowing most people won’t bother to dissect the narrative. And that includes his detractors here that like to vent at TBR.

I know, it's so inconvenient when your guy says something stupid.  Especially when it happens so frequently.  It's much easier to just ignore it and pretend it didn't happen.  Now, who exactly should I be listening to that can tell me what the important stuff is and what the stuff I can ignore is?

Offline Lando Lincoln

I posted a link to the video of the conference call.  The quote is exactly what Trump said. Watch the video.  Come back and tell me that it's been doctored.  Y'all are just wrong about this.

They are.  Regardless of his message or viewpoint, his manner and style of speaking is as you say - disjointed. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

First the media was making up fake news, taking quotes out of order to make Trump looks stupid.  Now it's my fault he looks stupid because I pay attention to what he's actually said.  I can't imagine why some Trump supporters here get so much shit for being "AlwaysTrump".

Funny also how we are always being told that Trump is always playing and controlling the media, nth degree chess and all that.....

....right up to the point the lies are called out, then he is just a poor victim of the reporting...

Offline RoosGirl

It seems Trump is setting the agenda with his constant exagerrations, lies, and 'truthful hyperbole'. Aren't we always being told he is playing the media brilliantly through nth degree chess. If so, it isn't the media leading this agenda.

The thing is, it wouldnt be an issue if he  were an honest person who took measure of his words and deeds.

Truth matters, character matters.

It's like the jobs numbers.  They're really improving.  So why "lie" by using the same numbers that were previously fake?

Offline driftdiver

@RoosGirl
People misspeak each and every day.  yet you are fixated on every single word Trump says.   You sit around waiting for him to say something stupid and then explode in gyrations of ecstasy over another opportunity to proclaim your superiority over anyone foolish or dimwitted enough to support the President.   

Offline aligncare

They are.  Regardless of his message or viewpoint, his manner and style of speaking is as you say - disjointed.

As long as his actions on policy are conservative, I don’t care how he plays the media with his comments, whether intentional, exaggerated, or simply part of his speech pattern.

Offline Lando Lincoln

As long as his actions on policy are conservative, I don’t care how he plays the media with his comments, whether intentional, exaggerated, or simply part of his speech pattern.

I can accept that, ac. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Saying it's been doctored, or you don't understand is much easier than trying to absorb and make sense of what he's saying.

Offline aligncare

Not speaking for anyone else, I never said anything about a doctored video.

The headline and tone of the story is enough to make my point. The media have an agenda, a mission. Make up breathless headlines, leave an impression, then move on. The doubt is set.

Offline RoosGirl

@RoosGirl
People misspeak each and every day.  yet you are fixated on every single word Trump says.   You sit around waiting for him to say something stupid and then explode in gyrations of ecstasy over another opportunity to proclaim your superiority over anyone foolish or dimwitted enough to support the President.

That's not what happens at all, but you go on with your bad self.  I'm enjoying *your* gyrations on trying to explain why he didn't say what he said.  He didn't "misspeak", he was just making shit up.  Hilarious.  Again, this is why Trump supporters here get so much shit about being "AlwaysTrump". 

PS  I love that this is my fault