Author Topic: Trump claims thousands had to be rescued after going 'out in their boats to watch' Hurricane Harvey  (Read 15299 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
So I can see who won't stand with us.

You must be making a joke.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well....Holland has Europe, Houston has Texas.   :shrug:

The article about the sinking Suburb a few posts up says that place was built on clay, not a very firm place to stand.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:58:28 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Maybe that’s Houston’s problem; all the Texas dykes are in Austin.

I like it when you play ball!   I lobbed a fat one and BOOM!

Nice!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

NTS?

No, I said ALL people have agendas.  Pretending otherwise makes you seem disingenuous and clearly agenda-driven.
Pretending otherwise and disingenuous is what the headline is doing to Trump's words.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Pretending otherwise and disingenuous is what the headline is doing to Trump's words.

OK, we're so far from the original statement, I can't even follow you.  You could be right, I just can't tell.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

OK, we're so far from the original statement, I can't even follow you.  You could be right, I just can't tell.
Headline:
Trump claims thousands had to be rescued after going 'out in their boats to watch' Hurricane Harvey

What Trump said(from corbe):
"Saved 16,000 people, many of them in Texas, for whatever reason that is. People went out in their boats to watch the hurricane. That didn’t work out too well. That didn’t work out too well."

Being a former journalist, I call that journalistic malpractice.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:47:13 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RoosGirl

Headline:
Trump claims thousands had to be rescued after going 'out in their boats to watch' Hurricane Harvey

What Trump said(from corbe):
"Saved 16,000 people, many of them in Texas, for whatever reason that is. People went out in their boats to watch the hurricane. That didn’t work out too well. That didn’t work out too well."

Being a former journalist, I call that journalistic malpractice.

Fine, you're right.  Which only leaves what he said as not understanding why people in Houston had to be rescued.   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

I like it when you play ball!   I lobbed a fat one and BOOM!

Nice!

:thumbsup:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Trump clueless about do-it-yourself ethos that makes Texas great

By John Daniel Davidson   https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Trump-clueless-about-do-it-yourself-ethos-that-12977835.php
June 8, 2018

A reporter once asked Willie Nelson what it means to be an American, and Willie said, “America, to me, is freedom. I’m from Texas, and one of the reasons I like Texas is because there’s no one in control.”

In his half-joking way, Willie captured something quintessential about Texas: We sort of just do things on our own, without asking permission. Sometimes that makes it seem like no one’s in control, but the flip side is that Texans tend to pitch-in during a crisis — like they did when Hurricane Harvey hit Houston last August and everyone within 150 miles who owned a boat showed up to help rescue those stranded by floodwaters.

With emergency services swamped, ordinary people stepped up, some them coming from as far away as San Antonio with nothing but a canoe strapped to a trailer. They rescued thousands of people, and the effort came to define Hurricane Harvey. It marked a moment of greatness for Texas.

More at link.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Trump clueless about do-it-yourself ethos that makes Texas great

By John Daniel Davidson   https://www.houstonchronicle.com/opinion/outlook/article/Trump-clueless-about-do-it-yourself-ethos-that-12977835.php
June 8, 2018

A reporter once asked Willie Nelson what it means to be an American, and Willie said, “America, to me, is freedom. I’m from Texas, and one of the reasons I like Texas is because there’s no one in control.”

In his half-joking way, Willie captured something quintessential about Texas: We sort of just do things on our own, without asking permission. Sometimes that makes it seem like no one’s in control, but the flip side is that Texans tend to pitch-in during a crisis — like they did when Hurricane Harvey hit Houston last August and everyone within 150 miles who owned a boat showed up to help rescue those stranded by floodwaters.

With emergency services swamped, ordinary people stepped up, some them coming from as far away as San Antonio with nothing but a canoe strapped to a trailer. They rescued thousands of people, and the effort came to define Hurricane Harvey. It marked a moment of greatness for Texas.

More at link.

Good article, Elderberry, they get it.