Author Topic: Trump claims thousands had to be rescued after going 'out in their boats to watch' Hurricane Harvey  (Read 15294 times)

Offline corbe

Trump claims thousands had to be rescued after going 'out in their boats to watch' Hurricane Harvey

By Jacqueline Thomsen - 06/06/18 10:46 PM EDT

President Trump claimed Tuesday that people had to be rescued during Hurricane Harvey last year after they “went out in their boats to watch the hurricane.”

Trump made the comments at a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) briefing on the upcoming hurricane season, praising the Coast Guard’s efforts during last year’s storm in Texas.

"They saved 16,000 people, many of them in Texas, for whatever reason that is," Trump said of the Coast Guard. "People went out in their boats to watch the hurricane. That didn't work out too well."

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/391116-trump-claims-thousands-had-to-be-rescued-after-going-out-in-their

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline RoosGirl

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline Frank Cannon

Oh, you know...

No. I don't. You guys with the rolling eyes shit has me confused and scared.

***suicide***

Offline RoosGirl

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline RoosGirl

Candlelight Dinner?

Of course.  I like it when everyone gets along and there's peace amongst all members.

Offline Frank Cannon

Of course.  I like it when everyone gets along and there's peace amongst all members.

Oh yeah. I know you do.  Peace, love and harmony are your middle names. *****rollingeyes*****

Offline RoosGirl

Oh yeah. I know you do.  Peace, love and harmony are your middle names. *****rollingeyes*****

Oh baby, I know you know I love the eyeroll, but don't overuse it.  You're cheapening it and by extension, us.

Offline Frank Cannon

Oh baby, I know you know I love the eyeroll, but don't overuse it.  You're cheapening it and by extension, us.

Are you shitting me? You two dizzy broads use that damn eye roll 50 times a day. I'm convinced that the emoji is sending some sort of secret code that only you two know.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
 :beer: to both of you.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

Insurance fraud on maryjane.

@corbe
If you've never seen a major storm come ashore it is an awesome spectacle.   Up to the part where you die.

Still many people who live around the see are used to it and feel like they know how to handle it.   In many cases being out to sea during these storms is safer then being on the coast.   

Offline driftdiver

Offline GrouchoTex

"People went out in their boats to watch the hurricane. That didn't work out too well."

Uhhh.....

Not exactly.

In fact, not at all.
It didn't happen.

Boats in the flood water, going through neighborhoods, were there to pull people out.
Why?
The coast guard, or any other government entity, couldn't get enough people there to do it.
They didn't have the time or the resources.

If anybody can find me just one instance of someone out there in a boat, just "watching the hurricane", send it my way.

This has made a lot of noise here, and rightly so.
These are disparaging remarks, minimizing the role that 100's, perhaps 1000's, played in getting their fellow citizens, and in most cases, complete strangers, to safety.

Unless he's talking about some fool out in the Gulf on a boat trying to ride it out, I don't like this statement, not one bit.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:11:25 pm by GrouchoTex »

Offline RoosGirl

"People went out in their boats to watch the hurricane. That didn't work out too well."

Uhhh.....

Not exactly.

In fact, not at all.
It didn't happen.

Boats in the flood water, going through neighborhoods, were there to pull people out.
Why?
The coast guard, or any other government entity, couldn't get enough people there to do it.
They didn't have the time or the resources.

If anybody can find me just one instance of someone out there in a boat, just "watching the hurricane", send it my way.

This has made a lot of noise here, and rightly so.
These are disparaging remarks, minimizing the role that 100's, perhaps 1000's, played in getting their fellow citizens, and in most cases, complete strangers, to safety.

Unless he's talking about some fool out in the Gulf on a boat trying to ride it out, I don't like this statement, not one bit.

Of course it didn't happen.  Every time Trump says something off the cuff he makes himself sound like an idiot.  But that's not the point, y'all Texans are some dumbasses who had to be rescued by the government.  Oh, and Trump is God.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
people had to be rescued during Hurricane Harvey last year after they “went out in their boats to watch the hurricane.”

Quite a slap in the face to all that pitched in and helped.

Government agencies rescued 60,049 residents in Harris County, most of them from their homes, and 32,000 to 34,000 evacuees stayed in 65 temporary shelters. Civilian volunteers rescued tens of thousands more.

Offline GrouchoTex

Of course it didn't happen.  Every time Trump says something off the cuff he makes himself sound like an idiot.  But that's not the point, y'all Texans are some dumbasses who had to be rescued by the government.  Oh, and Trump is God.

@RoosGirl

Yep, can get out of our own way, LOL.

Now, we all know Trump says things like this.

If he was talking about people in boats offshore, trying to ride it out, he would have a valid point.
I like that.

Of course, he doesn't make his statements clear enough.

If he was talking about the rescue efforts by the citizens, he's wrong.
I do not like that.

I think that 16,000 coast guard rescues seems like an awfully high number.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
By Special to The News Herald
Posted Sep 8, 2017 at 8:00 AM     http://www.newsherald.com/news/20170908/coast-guard-totals-11022-harvey-rescues

NEW ORLEANS — The Coast Guard announced Thursday it has completed its search and rescue operations in response to Hurricane Harvey but continues to work alongside the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and other federal, state and local partners to address pollution concerns as a result of the storm.

During their response to Hurricane Harvey, the Coast Guard rescued 11,022 people and 1,384 pets.

Involved in the response were 2,060 active duty, Reserve, civil servant and Auxiliary personnel; 50 rotary and fixed-wing aircraft; 75 shallow-water boats; and 29 cutters.

Of the 2,519 Coast Guard members who live in the impacted areas in Texas, 51 suffered catastrophic property loss and 124 others reported property damage.

“The Coast Guard’s response to Hurricane Harvey is one of the largest our organization has seen in decades, and men and women from the furthest reaches of our service answered the call to assist others in their time of need,” said Rear Adm. Paul Thomas, commander of the Coast Guard 8th District. “I’m incredibly proud and humbled by the resiliency of our first responders who were deeply impacted but continued to work around the clock to save more than 11,000 people in a matter of days.”

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It is not uncommon for commercial fishermen and large ship operators to take larger craft out to sea instead of leaving them docked during a hurricane. It is less risk of damage. At that, during some bad storms, the Coast Guard will often order large craft out to sea. I doubt a lot of these just went out to watch the storm.

Offline RoosGirl

By Special to The News Herald
Posted Sep 8, 2017 at 8:00 AM     http://www.newsherald.com/news/20170908/coast-guard-totals-11022-harvey-rescues

NEW ORLEANS — The Coast Guard announced Thursday it has completed its search and rescue operations in response to Hurricane Harvey but continues to work alongside the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and other federal, state and local partners to address pollution concerns as a result of the storm.

During their response to Hurricane Harvey, the Coast Guard rescued 11,022 people and 1,384 pets.

Involved in the response were 2,060 active duty, Reserve, civil servant and Auxiliary personnel; 50 rotary and fixed-wing aircraft; 75 shallow-water boats; and 29 cutters.

Of the 2,519 Coast Guard members who live in the impacted areas in Texas, 51 suffered catastrophic property loss and 124 others reported property damage.

“The Coast Guard’s response to Hurricane Harvey is one of the largest our organization has seen in decades, and men and women from the furthest reaches of our service answered the call to assist others in their time of need,” said Rear Adm. Paul Thomas, commander of the Coast Guard 8th District. “I’m incredibly proud and humbled by the resiliency of our first responders who were deeply impacted but continued to work around the clock to save more than 11,000 people in a matter of days.”

So then another 5000 unrelated to Harvey throughout the rest of the year.  I guess that seems like a reasonable enough number.  I think the issue is the claim that so many people were rescue because they went out in their boats to watch the hurricane.