Author Topic: American Economy Just Went Off the Charts; “Never Before in History”  (Read 9522 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
American Economy Just Went Off the Charts; “Never Before in History”

Steve Straub

The American economy just went off the charts when for the first time in history there are now more jobs than job seekers:

The jobs market has reached what should be some kind of inflection point: There are now more openings than there are workers.

April marked the second month in a row this historic event has occurred, and the gap is growing.

According to the monthly Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey released Wednesday, there were just shy of 6.7 million open positions in April, the most recent month for which data are available. That represented an increase of 65,000 from March and is a fresh record.

more at:   http://thefederalistpapers.org/us/american-economy-just-went-off-the-charts-never-before-in-history

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I'd say it's time for welfare reform.
The Republic is lost.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I'd say it's time for welfare reform.

There is a notion that would never cross a rats mind.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline the_doc

I can attest to the fact that there are a lot more job openings for doctors than there are doctors to fill the jobs.  (But that was looming up as a problem even before the economic "boom" hit.) 

Offline SirLinksALot

OK Folks, what we demand of Obama, we ought to do the same for Trump -- What is the LABOR FORCE PARTICIPATION RATE? did it improve under Trump?

Isn't that the bottom line? Getting people not to sit around but to work?

Offline Lando Lincoln

OK Folks, what we demand of Obama, we ought to do the same for Trump -- What is the LABOR FORCE PARTICIPATION RATE? did it improve under Trump?

I have no doubt we are experiencing a strong employment rebound but you are right...

The details help tell the whole story.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
OK Folks, what we demand of Obama, we ought to do the same for Trump

Hater.

Democrat-troll.

Hillary-supporter.

HOW DARE YOU BESMIRCH THE PREZ BY PUTTING HE AND OBAMA IN THE SAME SENTENCE!

They have already told us, it is okay when Trump does and says those things that would have driven them into fits of rage if Obama had done and said the same things.  We cannot hold Trump to the same demands made of Obama, because .... because....

... just because.  He's Trump. 

We cannot apply the same critical observations of the bogus employment numbers used to take apart Obama's jobless claims given how many people dropped out of the workforce and got on welfare, and use them on Trump's claims.  I mean, what's the matter with you?  Trump is the greatest human in all history of rulers, kings and presidents!  He has made the sea levels fall, racial tensions disappear, peace in the Middle East, unemployment disappear, home ownership skyrocket, taxes brought to zero, nukes done away with, Jihadists all brought to heel and surrendered to him.

Trump is God!  /sarc.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Frank Cannon

Hater.

Democrat-troll.

Hillary-supporter.

HOW DARE YOU BESMIRCH THE PREZ BY PUTTING HE AND OBAMA IN THE SAME SENTENCE!

They have already told us, it is okay when Trump does and says those things that would have driven them into fits of rage if Obama had done and said the same things.  We cannot hold Trump to the same demands made of Obama, because .... because....

... just because.  He's Trump. 

We cannot apply the same critical observations of the bogus employment numbers used to take apart Obama's jobless claims given how many people dropped out of the workforce and got on welfare, and use them on Trump's claims.  I mean, what's the matter with you?  Trump is the greatest human in all history of rulers, kings and presidents!  He has made the sea levels fall, racial tensions disappear, peace in the Middle East, unemployment disappear, home ownership skyrocket, taxes brought to zero, nukes done away with, Jihadists all brought to heel and surrendered to him.

Trump is God!  /sarc.

Yes. Trump is God. U6 employment numbers show that.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

That's a great question.  The answer can be found here:  http://www.macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate

And, keep in mind that the rate of retirements is increasing.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
And, keep in mind that the rate of retirements is increasing.

Which is why all the talk is about the insolvency of SoSec now.  Boomers retiring and not enough taxpaying laborers to cover the payout of benefits.

Something discussed all the way back in the 80s, and ignored.

Something else to consider is that there is no way to know, is that of the millions upon millions who dropped completely out of the workforce in the last 10 years to get on government assistance - how many have gone back in?  Remember, Obama's "numbers" crowing unemployment figures were based on numbers of people filing for unemployment.  They never counted those who had the 99 weeks extension to their bennies, or those who dropped out.  Simply counted new filings for bennies as the official rate.

How has that accounting changed since Trump took office? 

I think a better analytic would be how many new business start-ups have there been in the last two years?
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
As the WSJ noted yesterday, this is all splendid news, provided that employers don't start moving their operations overseas in order to get the employees we need.   President Trump needs to rethink his stance on immigration.  Continued growth depends on sufficient employees to sustain business operations.   Think about it - if you were an employer in need of employees, would you rather have an American too lazy and complacent on welfare to seek work, or an immigrant who's pulled up stakes precisely because he sees the opportunity here?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
We agree @Jazzhead

I'm all for immigration.  I hear there are many good folk native to Sweden and other countries i that region that are wanting to leave their own countries do to the invasion of foreign occupiers.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I've made this point whenever a jobs report comes out, and I get raked over the coals for daring to ask this. Including some very, very nasty emails and PMs. Things in some ways are improving but the trend lines have been flat. Rs are cheering now like D's were cheering when Obama was claiming record rebounds. Yet in both cases we are looking at playing with numbers more than actual change. At that, I find it funny that the same measurements Trump called 'fake' when Obama was president he is now using to tout his success. Will he offer an apology for calling them fake before?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

As the WSJ noted yesterday, this is all splendid news, provided that employers don't start moving their operations overseas in order to get the employees we need.   President Trump needs to rethink his stance on immigration.  Continued growth depends on sufficient employees to sustain business operations.   Think about it - if you were an employer in need of employees, would you rather have an American too lazy and complacent on welfare to seek work, or an immigrant who's pulled up stakes precisely because he sees the opportunity here?
Cut the welfare and he/she will work.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

What value is including retired people within the denominator of that equation?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:09:12 pm by SirLinksALot »
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline SirLinksALot

What value is including retired people within the denominator of that equation?

That has been my question from way back. Why include retired Senior Citizens in the labor force participation count?

The most relevant and important numbers are those who are of WORKING AGE.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
That has been my question from way back. Why include retired Senior Citizens in the labor force participation count?

The most relevant and important numbers are those who are of WORKING AGE.

Yes, that was what was behind my comment about accelerating retirements.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Cut the welfare and he/she will work.

Except there is no political will to do that.   The immediate issue is that employers need employees and the labor participation rate remains chronically low.   The solution is increased immigration. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Except there is no political will to do that.   The immediate issue is that employers need employees and the labor participation rate remains chronically low.   The solution is increased immigration.

Yeah, and 15 years ago there was no political will to have transgenders in the womens' bathroom.  And, not much for gay marriages.

And, your solution makes as much sense as either of those.

Offline Axeslinger

Amazing.  I keep seeing your idiocy popping up all over TBR today...and to a post everything you espouse is contrary to conservative thought....and yet you’ll now tell us what a staunch conservative you are and how WE are the ones that are not.   

Meanwhile you still run scared and refuse to answer questions put forth to you on other threads where you spout your ridiculous drivel.   I’m telling you bud,  you’d fit right in over at DU..you should give it a try.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Total BS.  Hungry people will work.

Offline thackney

Except there is no political will to do that.   The immediate issue is that employers need employees and the labor participation rate remains chronically low.   The solution is increased immigration.

Not no will, just not enough of it.

Requiring work for welfare moves Texans out of dependency
https://www.tribtalk.org/2018/03/12/requiring-work-for-welfare-moves-texans-out-of-dependency/
March 12, 2018

Everything is bigger in Texas, but not welfare dependency — and that is a good thing. As Congress ramps up the debate on overhauling several welfare programs, policymakers should look to Texas for guiding principles to achieve meaningful reform. The chief among them: a “work first” approach for able-bodied adults.

Texas understands that the real path out of dependency is work — not more welfare. The state focuses its programs on creating a fast track that moves people toward jobs as soon as possible. Instead of obsessing over formal educational attainment or complex government training programs, Texas makes getting a job — the first step to long-term independence — priority No. 1....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Amazing.  I keep seeing your idiocy popping up all over TBR today...and to a post everything you espouse is contrary to conservative thought....and yet you’ll now tell us what a staunch conservative you are and how WE are the ones that are not.   

Mainstream conservatism has traditionally been in favor of sufficient immigration to keep the economy humming.   The Wall Street Journal (which most sane folks agree is conservative) in an editorial this morning recommended that Trump consider increased (legal) immigration. 

I am more of a conservative than your are on this issue.  You appear to be one of those alt-right nativists.  But know-nothingism is not conservative, it is rooted in xenophobia and even racism.   Those are NOT conservative values.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Not no will, just not enough of it.

Requiring work for welfare moves Texans out of dependency
https://www.tribtalk.org/2018/03/12/requiring-work-for-welfare-moves-texans-out-of-dependency/
March 12, 2018

Everything is bigger in Texas, but not welfare dependency — and that is a good thing. As Congress ramps up the debate on overhauling several welfare programs, policymakers should look to Texas for guiding principles to achieve meaningful reform. The chief among them: a “work first” approach for able-bodied adults.

Texas understands that the real path out of dependency is work — not more welfare. The state focuses its programs on creating a fast track that moves people toward jobs as soon as possible. Instead of obsessing over formal educational attainment or complex government training programs, Texas makes getting a job — the first step to long-term independence — priority No. 1....

Good for Texas. 

Offline thackney

Good for Texas.

It does work.  And more politicians would gain the will if more voters would make it important to them.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer