Author Topic: California becomes first state to pass water law limiting toilet flushes, showers  (Read 1401 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/06/01/california-becomes-first-state-to-pass-water-law-limiting-toilet-flushes-showers

California has become the first state in the nation to pass a controversial new law that places tough limits on home water usage, KOVR-TV reported.

That means the state will have “more focus on flushes and scrutiny over showers,” according to the report.

Starting in 2022, California will limit water to 55 gallons per-person, per-day. By 2030, the amount falls to 50 gallons.

To put this into perspective, just taking one eight-minute shower (17 gallons of water) and doing one load of laundry (up to 40 gallons) is enough to exceed the 55-gallon limit. Taking a bath can use 80 to 100 gallons of water.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

When designing a new water main distribution the general number used is 100 gallons per day per person.  So, CA wants people to use half of what the historical usage is.

Offline driftdiver

When designing a new water main distribution the general number used is 100 gallons per day per person.  So, CA wants people to use half of what the historical usage is.

Their new houses are designed for 35, according to the article.  Which I did read.

but yes they want to limit people to 55 gallons per day.  At the same time admitting they lose 30% of their water to leaks in city pipes.

Offline RoosGirl

Their new houses are designed for 35, according to the article.  Which I did read.

but yes they want to limit people to 55 gallons per day.  At the same time admitting they lose 30% of their water to leaks in city pipes.

Yeah, there's no freaking way they're designing (and actually achieving) 35 gallons per person per day.

Offline driftdiver

Yeah, there's no freaking way they're designing (and actually achieving) 35 gallons per person per day.

Be a good hippie and shower once a week, flush once a day, and change clothes 2x a week.

easy peasy

Offline RoosGirl

Be a good hippie and shower once a week, flush once a day, and change clothes 2x a week.

easy peasy

The Beverly Hills set is not going to be pleased about this.

Online dfwgator

Good news for plumbers.

Offline Frank Cannon

The Beverly Hills set is not going to be pleased about this.

You think the water cops are going to be going after those people, or will they be going after some shlub in a split level with 3 kids and a wife?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
You think the water cops are going to be going after those people, or will they be going after some shlub in a split level with 3 kids and a wife?

I do actually.  But only if they are white.  The exception to the rule.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

I'm not even going to attempt to guess what the nuts in CA will do, I'm just going to sit back and watch and enjoy the show.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
If it's yellow let it mellow

If it's brown, flush it down nein! nein! nein! you vill not flush!
The Republic is lost.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If it's yellow let it mellow

If it's brown, flush it down nein! nein! nein! you vill not flush!

Lends a whole new meaning to "Sink The Bismarck"
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
The land of fruits and nuts- more so every day. So divorced from reality.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline RoosGirl

I guess they wouldnt like me spraying the hose for my dogs to play in when it's hot like I did today.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Lends a whole new meaning to "Sink The Bismarck"

Nyuk nyuk!
The Republic is lost.