Author Topic: NY AG wants law changed due to D’Souza pardon  (Read 2986 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

NY AG wants law changed due to D’Souza pardon
« on: June 03, 2018, 12:57:26 pm »
NY AG wants law changed due to D’Souza pardon
Hot Air, Jun 2, 2018, Taylor Millard

New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood is pretty rankled by President Donald Trump’s pardon of Dinesh D’Souza. Underwood is so irritated, she’s calling for New York to change what she’s calling the “double jeopardy loophole” to prevent things like this from happening again.

“President Trump’s latest pardon makes crystal clear his willingness to use his pardon power to thwart the cause of justice, rather than advance it. By pardoning Dinesh D’Souza, President Trump is undermining the rule of law by pardoning a political supporter who is an unapologetic convicted felon. First it was Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Then it was Scooter Libby. Now it’s Dinesh D’Souza. We can’t afford to wait to see who will be next. Lawmakers must act now to close New York’s double jeopardy loophole and ensure that anyone who evades federal justice by virtue of a politically expedient pardon can be held accountable if they violate New York law.”

Underwood is not complaining about the 5th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution but a New York law which doesn’t allow people to be tried twice for the same act or go to trial twice for “two offenses based upon the same act or criminal transaction.” Reason’s Jacob Sullum explains why New York passed the law in the first place.

Here’s the bill the New York legislature is considering:

More:  https://hotair.com/archives/2018/06/02/ny-ag-wants-law-changed-due-dsouza-pardon/

Online mountaineer

Re: NY AG wants law changed due to D’Souza pardon
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 01:13:41 pm »
So now the prohibition against "double jeopardy" is just a loophole? What a maroon.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 01:47:04 pm »
That's what makes these people dangerous. That have given themselves the ability to overrule the Constitution.
Countdown to Resignation

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 01:52:34 pm »
So now the prohibition against "double jeopardy" is just a loophole? What a maroon.

No.  The “loophole” is the provision in NY law that makes non-NY prosecutions count towards double jeopardy for NY-state law purposes.  This is much narrower than the requirements of the Constitution, which would permit NY to prosecute someone for the same crime for which he has already been prosecuted by the federal government. 

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 01:52:56 pm »
That's what makes these people dangerous. That have given themselves the ability to overrule the Constitution.

It has nothing to do with overruling the Constitution.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 01:56:52 pm »
It has nothing to do with overruling the Constitution.

It has a lot to do with federalizing every crime.  This has created the overlapping jurisdictions you described in another thread.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 02:00:09 pm »
It has a lot to do with federalizing every crime.  This has created the overlapping jurisdictions you described in another thread.

Not necessarily.  There is a lot of overlap under the Constitution even in the core areas where Congress is granted authority to act, such as commerce (except when the dormant commerce clause doctrine applies), and as a result there will always potentially be overlapping criminal jurisdiction.  For example, robbing an armored car would be both a federal crime (banking and money powers) and a state crime. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 02:09:23 pm »
Not necessarily.  There is a lot of overlap under the Constitution even in the core areas where Congress is granted authority to act, such as commerce (except when the dormant commerce clause doctrine applies), and as a result there will always potentially be overlapping criminal jurisdiction.  For example, robbing an armored car would be both a federal crime (banking and money powers) and a state crime.

I agree with that.  I also think the Feds usurp powers that belong to the States, like "campaign finance." 

None of this would have happened had "the people" not demanded it, so there is plenty of blame to go around.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline SirLinksALot

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 04:40:34 pm »
SOURCE: HOTAIR

URL: https://hotair.com/archives/2018/06/02/ny-ag-wants-law-changed-due-dsouza-pardon/

by Taylor Millard

New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood is pretty rankled by President Donald Trump’s pardon of Dinesh D’Souza. Underwood is so irritated, she’s calling for New York to change what she’s calling the “double jeopardy loophole” to prevent things like this from happening again.

“President Trump’s latest pardon makes crystal clear his willingness to use his pardon power to thwart the cause of justice, rather than advance it. By pardoning Dinesh D’Souza, President Trump is undermining the rule of law by pardoning a political supporter who is an unapologetic convicted felon. First it was Sheriff Joe Arpaio. Then it was Scooter Libby. Now it’s Dinesh D’Souza. We can’t afford to wait to see who will be next. Lawmakers must act now to close New York’s double jeopardy loophole and ensure that anyone who evades federal justice by virtue of a politically expedient pardon can be held accountable if they violate New York law.”

She’s following the lead of former AG Eric Schneiderman, who fretted about a pardon controversy last year in a letter to state leaders.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST....

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 04:55:17 pm »
This is a very interesting issue, and it comes largely from New York ceding its sovereignty to a Federal government that prosecutes its own crimes. 

There's no easy answer.  I have some sympathy for this bill, as a runaway liberal government in the national government could take away any justice a state could receive, by "stealing" its prosecutions and then pardoning.  But it's very difficult to stomach multiple prosecutions for the same alleged crime.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 05:29:57 pm »
This is a very interesting issue, and it comes largely from New York ceding its sovereignty to a Federal government that prosecutes its own crimes. 

There's no easy answer.  I have some sympathy for this bill, as a runaway liberal government in the national government could take away any justice a state could receive, by "stealing" its prosecutions and then pardoning. But it's very difficult to stomach multiple prosecutions for the same alleged crime.
Multiple prosecutions for the same crime is something democrats are in love with. Not happy with the results at the state level, well hell, there must be a way to persecute at the Federal level and get the result we feel we should.

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2018, 05:31:32 pm »
Multiple prosecutions for the same crime is something democrats are in love with. Not happy with the results at the state level, well hell, there must be a way to persecute at the Federal level and get the result we feel we should.

It’s a bipartisan problem.  I have yet to hear a single prosecutor, federal or state, no matter their politics, say “well, the other guys prosecuted him, so that’s good enough for me.”

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 01:05:38 am »
The pardon was not a life changed for DeSouza.  He'd paid the fine, plead guilty, and served the sentencing terms.  Nothing prevented Dinesh from making a decent living in his profession because of it.  Not much has changed.  On the other hand, Kristian Saucier gets his life back and can move out from under a heavy weight.  IMO, that's the only pardon that matters from Trump.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 01:06:36 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 02:55:03 am »
It’s a bipartisan problem.  I have yet to hear a single prosecutor, federal or state, no matter their politics, say “well, the other guys prosecuted him, so that’s good enough for me.”
Mind you I really haven't paid real attention to other states but I  was thinking about cases like the police officers from the  Rodney King affair, who were retried on federal charges when the liberals weren't happy with the outcome. Seems like there were cases in New Jersey and Florida Too.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 03:37:06 am »
Should the feds be required to get signoff from an affected state before any pardon?  This would effectively eliminate some pardons.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 04:08:56 am »
Should the feds be required to get signoff from an affected state before any pardon?  This would effectively eliminate some pardons.

I don't see why, any more than the feds should have to get permission from a state to prosecute. 

Offline thackney

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 12:14:23 pm »
The pardon was not a life changed for DeSouza.  He'd paid the fine, plead guilty, and served the sentencing terms.  Nothing prevented Dinesh from making a decent living in his profession because of it.  Not much has changed.  On the other hand, Kristian Saucier gets his life back and can move out from under a heavy weight.  IMO, that's the only pardon that matters from Trump.

I would not want to have the attention Dinesh has received and have California's ban on owning a firearm as a felon.

https://www.shouselaw.com/felon-firearm.html

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 12:28:13 pm »
New York’s double jeopardy loophole

I love how liberals call anything a loophole that gets in their way of their political agenda or witch hunt, in order to justify their corruption.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 12:34:52 pm »

There's no easy answer.  I have some sympathy for this bill, as a runaway liberal government in the national government could take away any justice a state could receive, by "stealing" its prosecutions and then pardoning.  But it's very difficult to stomach multiple prosecutions for the same alleged crime.

@Suppressed
Stealing a prosecution with the intent of pardoning is beyond farfetched.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Mod1

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 01:35:39 pm »
threads merged

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 06:38:06 pm »
@Suppressed
Stealing a prosecution with the intent of pardoning is beyond farfetched.

I didn't say there had to be intent. 

The feds taking over prosecutions and then later administrations pardoning (like we have here) means that it can happen.
+++++++++