Author Topic: Chrysler Not Dead, Fiat to Become Euro Only EV Brand  (Read 1847 times)

Offline endicom

Chrysler Not Dead, Fiat to Become Euro Only EV Brand
« on: June 01, 2018, 10:39:10 pm »
Auto Guide
Sam McEachern
June 1, 2018

FCA won’t be killing off its Fiat and Chrysler car brands, however the two entities are in for a major shakeup in coming years.

During FCA’s five-year product presentation plan in Italy today, company CEO Sergio Marchionne dismissed rumors that Fiat and Chrysler would die off so the company could focus on Ram, Jeep, Maserati and Alfa Romeo. Instead, Chrysler will become a North American brand only, while Fiat will slowly transition to selling electric vehicles in Europe.

Marchionne said rumors that Chrysler and Fiat would be killed off entirely were “nonsense.” A company spokesperson also indicated that Dodge would not be killed off either.

More... http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/06/chrysler-not-dead-fiat-become-euro-ev-brand.html

Online rustynail

Re: Chrysler Not Dead, Fiat to Become Euro Only EV Brand
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 11:18:30 pm »
Chrysler is toast?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2018, 11:34:00 pm »
Chrysler is toast?

Pretty much. Chrysler has nothing to offer. Dodge has some boutique cars worth keeping around. Fiat has nothing but the Panda. Jeep has a couple items worth keeping around. Overall it's a bucket of shit. If they disappeared tomorrow, no one would care.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2018, 10:41:52 pm »
Pretty much. Chrysler has nothing to offer. Dodge has some boutique cars worth keeping around. Fiat has nothing but the Panda. Jeep has a couple items worth keeping around. Overall it's a bucket of shit. If they disappeared tomorrow, no one would care.
The problem with Chrysler is that they've completely written off the regular market.

Dodge is now a sports car brand (and ask Pontiac how that went). Chrysler is the not-quite-luxury brand. Ram, of course, is the truck division. Jeep is still doing the Jeep thing. Plymouth, DeSoto, AMC/Eagle, and the non-Ram Dodge trucks are now long gone. About the only car they have for the average American is the Caravan, a market they have cornered.

Look at Chevy. Their car product is crap. Yet they've steadily put out the Cavalier, the Cobalt, the Cruze, the Impala, and so on, and they always sell. Generic cars for generic people. Ford isn't quite so bad, but they're about to make the same mistake Chrysler did.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 11:19:10 pm »
The 124 Spider is a neat car.  I think Mazda will continue to assemble them in Japan ... not sure if they will continue shipping to the States, though.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 11:35:04 pm »

Dodge is now a sports car brand (and ask Pontiac how that went).

Pontiac didn't die because it was a bad brand selling sporty cars. The Feds forced them to kill Pontiac as part of the bailout. A couple GM execs also told me that Saturn bled so much money from the company that they were forced to shortchange Pontiac when it didn't deserve it.

Offline endicom

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 11:59:44 pm »

About the only car they have for the average American is the Caravan, a market they have cornered.

Odyssey and Sienna do well. Caravan is the old model and a Dodge and should soon be replaced by a version of the Chrysler Pacifica.

Look at Chevy. Their car product is crap. Yet they've steadily put out the Cavalier, the Cobalt, the Cruze, the Impala, and so on, and they always sell. Generic cars for generic people. Ford isn't quite so bad, but they're about to make the same mistake Chrysler did.

The US companies aren't making money on cars so they're dropping them. Ford is dropping most or all and GM is said to be right behind.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 12:01:42 am »

That Dodge Demon looks hella fun.  0 - 60 in 2.3 seconds.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 12:06:55 am »
Odyssey and Sienna do well. Caravan is the old model and a Dodge and should soon be replaced by a version of the Chrysler Pacifica.

The US companies aren't making money on cars so they're dropping them. Ford is dropping most or all and GM is said to be right behind.

The reason Chrysler lost the minivan game is because they started to build garbage that fell apart. Huge issues with their 6 speed transmissions and electrical gremlins galore. The Jap ugly boxes cost more, but they work when you turn the key. GM picked up the rest of the market with their Crossovers, which is the real reason sedans are dead. Why would anyone buy a 5 passenger car with a small trunk when for a couple dollars more you can get an all wheel drive crossover like the Edge or Traverse that seats 7, can carry shit and put you in a better driving position?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 12:10:04 am »
That Dodge Demon looks hella fun.  0 - 60 in 2.3 seconds.

The last '18 Demon just rolled off the line this week. Did you know the car doesn't come with passenger or rear seats? It's a great car if you are married with kids.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 12:14:30 am »
The last '18 Demon just rolled off the line this week. Did you know the car doesn't come with passenger or rear seats? It's a great car if you are married with kids.

Sounds like a perfect 3rd car.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 12:18:18 am »
Sounds like a perfect 3rd car.

For me it would be the perfect primary car.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2018, 12:19:11 am »
For me it would be the perfect primary car.

Pish, you could never come and pick me up in it.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2018, 12:48:21 am »
The 124 Spider is a neat car.  I think Mazda will continue to assemble them in Japan ... not sure if they will continue shipping to the States, though.

I liked them, when they ran well they were a lot of fun. But the aluminum head was a bad idea.
Alfa makes a MUCH better spider.

Online cato potatoe

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2018, 03:05:32 am »
I liked them, when they ran well they were a lot of fun. But the aluminum head was a bad idea.
Alfa makes a MUCH better spider.

Fiat actually brought them back for 2017.  I picked up an Azzurro Italia blue model.  Warranty/service is going to be interesting if this comes to fruition.  :pondering:

Offline thackney

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 12:06:08 pm »

I think if you can afford this car as well as wife and kids, you can afford the optional seats as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/06/01/last-dodge-demon-super-muscle-car-rolls-off-line/662631002/

Challenger SRT Demon is a limited-edition car that's so oriented toward the track it hasn't come with front passenger or back seats. They're options — priced at $1 each.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 12:31:08 pm »
I think if you can afford this car as well as wife and kids, you can afford the optional seats as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/06/01/last-dodge-demon-super-muscle-car-rolls-off-line/662631002/

I know one guy who removed the seats from his car to fit women in better.  Maybe Frank was thinking along those lines.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 05:42:19 am »

Why would a pay hard earned cash to have my family in the damn car. It defeats the whole reason for owning a one seat car.