Author Topic: We Ran Out of Words to Describe How Good the Jobs Numbers Are (New York Times)  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/01/upshot/we-ran-out-of-words-to-describe-how-good-the-jobs-numbers-are.html

The real question in analyzing the May jobs numbers released Friday is whether there are enough synonyms for “good” in an online thesaurus to describe them adequately.

So, for example, “splendid” and “excellent” fit the bill. Those are the kinds of terms that are appropriate when the United States economy adds 223,000 jobs in a month, despite being nine years into an expansion, and when the unemployment rate falls to 3.8 percent, a new 18-year low.

“Salubrious,” “salutary” and “healthy” work as words to describe the 0.3 percent rise in average hourly earnings, which are up 2.7 percent over the last year — a nice improvement but also not the kind of sharp increase that might lead the Federal Reserve to rethink its cautious path of interest rate increases.

Offline Frank Cannon

Fairly shocking title for a NY Slimes article reporting on a Republican President.

Offline Frank Cannon

Does this make Trump "The Greatest Worst President" in history?

Offline aligncare

Rush mentioned the NYT headline to his audience during his monologue on the difference between President Trump and Obama. I can summarize his conclusion in two words: economic competency.

Offline Frank Cannon

Rush mentioned the NYT headline to his audience during his monologue on the difference between President Trump and Obama. I can summarize his conclusion in two words: economic competency.

Despite the doomsayers, Trumps plan seems to be working better than anyone thought.

Offline RoosGirl

So now all of a sudden we believe the unemployment numbers that are reported?

Offline Frank Cannon

You don't have to. If you use the shit numbers as a baseline, it still shows things are far better now than under Obama.

Offline skeeter

I never saw anyone dispute the numbers coming out of the BLS.

The method of reporting, U3 vs U5 or 6, yes. But not the numbers themselves.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:24:23 pm by skeeter »

Offline skeeter

You don't have to. If you use the shit numbers as a baseline, it still shows things are far better now than under Obama.

... or what he said.

Offline aligncare

Wall Street sure as heck took the numbers seriously today.

Offline RoosGirl

Yeah, I believe they're better.  I just have a problem with not using the "real" numbers, especially considering Trump railed against the "fake" numbers not all that long ago.  I understand this is a NYT article, but am remembering Trump touting the "fake" numbers since becoming POTUS and suspect he will do so again in response to this article or similar.

Offline GrouchoTex

We know the number is just the number of those out of work, who are still seeking work.
Having said that, it is still an indicator, and it is moving in the right direction.

Offline endicom

We know the number is just the number of those out of work, who are still seeking work.
Having said that, it is still an indicator, and it is moving in the right direction.

The trend tells the story and the trend is still good.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

The will greatly increase the GDP of this country is so many ways, from more tax revenue, more SS and medicare revenue, reduced welfare, and on and on.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington