Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26421 times)

Offline Hoodat

Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #150 on: May 30, 2018, 07:24:18 pm »
@LauraTXNM

Here's what Julianne Malveaux said about Clarence Thomas:

"You know, I hope his wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter and he dies early like many black men do, of heart disease. Well, that’s how I feel. He is an absolutely reprehensible person."

She wasn't a late-night talk show host or anything like that.  But she did say this on federally subsidized airwaves, and she was never in any danger of losing her job or having that radio show cancelled.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Roseanne Barr Quits Twitter Over Racist Tweet
« Reply #151 on: May 30, 2018, 07:25:37 pm »
Say what?
The mid 19th century Europeans were heartily exploiting colonial ventures around the world. While movements had either banned slavery or were on their way to doing so worldwide (at least in European influenced cultures) having superior technology justified (along with Darwinism) the concept that Europeans were more evolutionarily advanced humans, and thus exploitation was justified, often in the guise of propelling more primitive people to advance, but commonly in the form of shameless exploitation.

While the ideas that "Gott Mit Uns", and 'taming the savage heathen' are nothing new (what conquering army isn't either asserting its natural superiority or converting the unbelievers?), in the end all loot, pillage, and burn, and subjugate their conquests (Alexander the Great may have been a notable exception).
This forcible exporting of culture, language, and religion (and attempts to subjugate that which existed prior) masks the looting which accompanies it, but behind it all is a feeling of being superior to the natives.

That Darwin walks hand-in-glove with such assertions or assumptions of natural superiority leaves the conquered peoples lower on the 'civilization' pole, less developed, and in second place, evolutionarily, in the minds of those infused with such beliefs during the 'Age of Reason'. Even Natural Histories (Ackermans, 1848, pre-Darwin) expressed the concept of some races being more 'advanced' than others, Darwin provided an evolutionary framework for those prejudices.

I do not embrace any of that, but my beliefs don't influence that which has passed, and it was evident in the colonial movement which spanned the globe, with the subjugation of indigenous peoples everywhere.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Oceander

« Reply #152 on: May 30, 2018, 07:26:04 pm »
@LauraTXNM

She wasn't a late-night talk show host or anything like that.  But she did say this on federally subsidized airwaves, and she was never in any danger of losing her job or having that radio show cancelled.

Seriously??  You think that is even remotely as offensive as calling an African-American a monkey?

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #153 on: May 30, 2018, 07:27:06 pm »
That's very bad from this Malveux, it doesn't matter if she is a person of color herself. That is very hateful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julianne_Malveaux

Offline musiclady

« Reply #154 on: May 30, 2018, 07:27:39 pm »
Darwinism scientifically justified the prejudices which accompanied technological developments.

I agree.

Darwin's theory made racism academically acceptable and accepted in higher social circles.

The Progressives of the early 20th century (Woodrow Wilson, for one) were strongly Darwinist and hideously racist.

The fact that racism existed outside of academia is irrelevant.  Darwin made it official.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Oceander

« Reply #155 on: May 30, 2018, 07:28:30 pm »
The mid 19th century Europeans were heartily exploiting colonial ventures around the world. While movements had either banned slavery or were on their way to doing so worldwide (at least in European influenced cultures) having superior technology justified (along with Darwinism) the concept that Europeans were more evolutionarily advanced humans, and thus exploitation was justified, often in the guise of propelling more primitive people to advance, but commonly in the form of shameless exploitation.

While the ideas that "Gott Mit Uns", and 'taming the savage heathen' are nothing new (what conquering army isn't either asserting its natural superiority or converting the unbelievers?), in the end all loot, pillage, and burn, and subjugate their conquests (Alexander the Great may have been a notable exception).
This forcible exporting of culture, language, and religion (and attempts to subjugate that which existed prior) masks the looting which accompanies it, but behind it all is a feeling of being superior to the natives.

That Darwin walks hand-in-glove with such assertions or assumptions of natural superiority leaves the conquered peoples lower on the 'civilization' pole, less developed, and in second place, evolutionarily, in the minds of those infused with such beliefs during the 'Age of Reason'. Even Natural Histories (Ackermans, 1848, pre-Darwin) expressed the concept of some races being more 'advanced' than others, Darwin provided an evolutionary framework for those prejudices.

I do not embrace any of that, but my beliefs don't influence that which has passed, and it was evident in the colonial movement which spanned the globe, with the subjugation of indigenous peoples everywhere.

:rolleyes:

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #156 on: May 30, 2018, 07:29:57 pm »
@LauraTXNM

@Hoodat  Thanks for the example.  Julianne Malveaux is black, as it happens, and like Seinfeld said, she gets a pass for being in the same group -- just like Seinfeld's dentist converted to Judaism for the jokes. 

No question she is nasty and rude and has gotten in trouble for a bunch of things, including having lost her college job and having been arrested on a plane.  The Clarence Thomas comment was considered hateful enough that it is one of the things regularly mentioned about her in public media and Wikipedia.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #157 on: May 30, 2018, 07:30:17 pm »
And let's not forget Robert Byrd.  Never recall seeing any liberals demanding his resignation.

! No longer available
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #158 on: May 30, 2018, 07:30:44 pm »
That's very bad from this Malveux, it doesn't matter if she is a person of color herself. That is very hateful.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julianne_Malveaux

Agreed, it's nasty but not racist.  And it was mean enough that she's "known" for making that comment.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:32:23 pm by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2018, 07:31:04 pm »
Julianne Malveaux is black, as it happens, and like Seinfeld said, she gets a pass for being in the same group -

That's racist.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2018, 07:31:11 pm »
Seriously??  You think that is even remotely as offensive as calling an African-American a monkey?

Bingo.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2018, 07:33:30 pm »

@Oceander

Yes, saying you wish someone dead is more offensive then calling them an ape.   That wasn't even a difficult question.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2018, 07:34:47 pm »
(Obama’s) a nice person, he’s very articulate this is what’s been used against him, but he couldn’t sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic.

-Dan Rather-

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/geoffrey-dickens/2010/03/08/dan-rather-articulate-obama-couldnt-even-sell-watermelons

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #163 on: May 30, 2018, 07:35:43 pm »
@Oceander

Yes, saying you wish someone dead is more offensive then calling them an ape.   That wasn't even a difficult question.

No, actually, it’s not.  It’s boorish and spiteful, at most. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #164 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:58 pm »
“I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy.I mean, that’s a storybook, man.”

-Joe Biden-

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2018, 07:40:08 pm »
"A few years ago, (Baraq Obama) would have been getting us coffee."

-Bill Clinton-

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #166 on: May 30, 2018, 07:41:43 pm »
Keep trying @Hoodat , you still haven’t dredged up anything that is remotely as offensive as Roseanne’s comment was. 

Offline aligncare

« Reply #167 on: May 30, 2018, 07:42:45 pm »
Blacks are a protected class in America. Learn it, live it, love it.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #168 on: May 30, 2018, 07:45:49 pm »
No, actually, it’s not.  It’s boorish and spiteful, at most.

@Oceander
Well I hope you eat lots of butter then.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #169 on: May 30, 2018, 07:46:22 pm »
Here's Sandra Bernhard wishing Sarah Palin be gang-raped by black men (as if that is somehow worse than being gang-raped by white men).

! No longer available

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #170 on: May 30, 2018, 07:46:35 pm »

But, Joe, European colonialism was a well established fact well before Charles Darwin was even born.

And, Darwin didn't "provide" anything, but observations.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2018, 07:46:52 pm »
Keep trying @Hoodat , you still haven’t dredged up anything that is remotely as offensive as Roseanne’s comment was.

@Oceander
There are a myriad of statements made by leftists which are just as hateful if not more so.   But since they are your buddies you'll never agree with it.

Oceander

« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2018, 07:47:07 pm »
@Oceander
Well I hope you eat lots of butter then.

Thanks.  I tend to eat more I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter than actual butter, though.

BTW, do you think that’s even remotely offensive?  It’s silly. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:47:41 pm by Oceander »

Oceander

« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2018, 07:48:26 pm »
@Oceander
There are a myriad of statements made by leftists which are just as hateful if not more so.   But since they are your buddies you'll never agree with it.

:facepalm2:

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2018, 07:49:33 pm »

Ah, moral relativism.  How quaint.  I guess you get to be the arbiter of what crosses the line and what does not.  Convenient for you, eh?

And for the record, I am in no way defending Barr.  But I do recognize a double-standard when I see it.  (See:  Joy Reid - PMSNBC)

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-