Author Topic: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett  (Read 26536 times)

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Roseanne Barr Quits Twitter Over Racist Tweet
« Reply #125 on: May 30, 2018, 04:23:29 pm »
Everyone knows I call 'em like I see 'em with Trump.  I give him accolades when deserved and insults when he acts like an idiot.

With that .......   I want to go strongly go on record of saying  this Rosanne Barr event is the ultimate of hypocricy..  What she tweeted is far less (using ABC's language) "Repugnant" than what is trotted out there nightly between 10:30 - midnight against Trump on what loosely may be called the spawn of Johnny Carson's legacy.

The big 3's (ABC,NBC,CBS) effort to drive the country left has gone  far past Norman Lear's subliminal approach.  They have taken the war to a much higher level.  An alternate network is needed now.

It's a ton of hypocrisy.  But I think the correct road isn't to defend Roseanne -- it's to go after the leftist dirtbags who have said worse and gotten away with it.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #126 on: May 30, 2018, 04:24:39 pm »
"Don't feel sorry for me, guys!!" Barr also tweeted, before discouraging people from boycotting ABC. "I just want to apologize to the hundreds of people,and wonderful writers (all liberal) and talented actors who lost their jobs on my show due to my stupid tweet. I will be on Joe Rogan's podcast friday."

Got to commend her for this.  She took responsibility for what she did and acknowldeged how her actions hurt others.  Humility goes a very long way with me.  Contrast this with Joy Reid's reaction.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #127 on: May 30, 2018, 04:24:56 pm »
Ok, perhaps I am missing something, Conservapedia and this DailyKos article (article I found while doing an image search) all seem to suggest she has nothing but African American parentage. Something is amiss, I have heard of whitewashing, but it seems the opposite occurs with Valerie, they seem to only focus on the black heritage. There is some mix (Arab or white) in there somewhere unless something is amiss (my eyes).

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2008/11/11/658175/-

BTW... for the record. I said Rosanne was trash, always had been trash and her show was trash. Some didn't care to hear it.

@Sighlass

Dey wuz ah cracka or two hide-in in de woodpiles.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #128 on: May 30, 2018, 04:25:22 pm »
C'mon Joe....

There is a pretty long history of racists referring to black people as monkeys or apes, and implying they are further back along the evolutionary chain than are white people.  Feigning ignorance about that reality doesn't really contribute to anything.
I think you got my point, but in case you didn't, I am pointing out the ridiculousness of the whole thing. Obviously, one group has evolved a much thinner skin.  No one even mentioned architectural features or lush plant growth.   Now, go look at the artist's conceptions of early man and tell me who is what.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/human-origins-science/faces-ancient-hominids-brought-life-remarkable-detail-001465

Just saying. Either you believe all that stuff, or you don't. Your call.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #129 on: May 30, 2018, 04:48:23 pm »
You might want to hold off on that until we hear what she says in her interview.  She could say anything.    :laugh:

That was my first thought, as well.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #130 on: May 30, 2018, 04:49:47 pm »
Never will understand why celebrities, corporations, and politicians play around on Twitter. There must be well over 10 thousand famous people who have either ruined their careers or at least caused themselves deep harm by saying something stupid on Twitter.

And that doesn't even compare to how many millions of private citizens have wound up fired, divorced, or sued, by saying stupid crap on Twitter and other public sites. It's crazy. It is like playing Russian roulette.

I don't understand it because I've never been attracted to things like Twitter and Facebook. Not a boycott or anything about principle, I just don't have a need to out myself like that. And as it turns out, Thank Goodness for being weird.

Immediately lost her top rated hit show, also her syndicated shows were taken off air. Probably the most expensive tweet in history.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #131 on: May 30, 2018, 04:58:30 pm »
Celebrities cannot stand to not be in the spotlight.

Maybe her show will be picked up on Netflix?

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2018, 05:01:07 pm »
So let me get this straight. While white kids are being told they are descended from apes, all across the country and the world, if you imply a similar heritage for a black person, you are a racist?
Your's is a sardonic reply, but actually you do have a good point. In fact, a number of people like refer to humans as simply another branch of apes.
  There was a person named Desmond Morris  who decades ago wrote a book called "The Naked Ape" (which I didn't read)  of which  I gathered claimed that humans are not much evolved beyond chimps and gorillas.
And there are people who claim that black people are not Homo Sapiens but a different  species.
I am not one to claim (like many liberals)  that all the peoples of the world are exactly the same in all mental and physical characteristics except for skin color.  But we are all one species.
Of course, the monkey-ape comparison is especially sensitive concerning black people suggesting that they are subhuman.  So anybody touching that third rail of commentary is likely to get electrocuted.....like what happened to Barr.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:04:24 pm by goatprairie »

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2018, 05:06:18 pm »
How many times did liberals call Bush an ape?

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2018, 05:15:02 pm »
As we all know crime and punishment for calling people with differing political affiliations bad things only works one way...when liberals are called names by conservatives.  And Barr isn't even a conservative.   She's more just an off the wall wacko with a smorgasbord of screwball opinions on a variety of subjects.
If you get on various lib forums, the bad things Bush and Trump are called are what many liberals think of all Republicans or conservatives.  And on some black websites you can find  opinions to the effect that ALL white people are  nasty, racist subhumans who deserve what they get.  Nothing much if anything happens to those people.
Once again we can bring up the liberal hypocrisy aspect, but we'll get nowhere. Because they're never or rarely ashamed of anything they accuse conservatives of being.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2018, 05:15:39 pm »
Your's is a sardonic reply, but actually you do have a good point. In fact, a number of people like refer to humans as simply another branch of apes.
  There was a person named Desmond Morris  who decades ago wrote a book called "The Naked Ape" (which I didn't read)  of which  I gathered claimed that humans are not much evolved beyond chimps and gorillas.
And there are people who claim that black people are not Homo Sapiens but a different  species.
I am not one to claim (like many liberals)  that all the peoples of the world are exactly the same in all mental and physical characteristics except for skin color.  But we are all one species.
Of course, the monkey-ape comparison is especially sensitive concerning black people suggesting that they are subhuman.  So anybody touching that third rail of commentary is likely to get electrocuted.....like what happened to Barr.

I did read the book, years ago, and I don't remember much about it. 

Yes, Homo Sapiens Sapiens are one species, and the differences between us are less than the differences between us and any of the other great apes.  While our DNA is very similar to chimps in particular, we are still far removed from them, both in time, culture and DNA.  So, to compare one segment of our species to apes doesn't make sense and can be seen as insulting to that segment.  Or, to the apes if you dislike humans as so many on the left seem to.

But those facts don't really matter that much - it's that making the comparison to apes and monkeys has historically been an integral part of racially denigrating a segment of society.  And, of course, it's not only black people.  I remember one English cartoon about the Irish that depicted them as slavering apes. 

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #136 on: May 30, 2018, 05:17:04 pm »
You mean "Chimpy Bush McHitler"? Daily.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #137 on: May 30, 2018, 05:21:16 pm »
Once again we can bring up the liberal hypocrisy aspect, but we'll get nowhere. Because they're never or rarely ashamed of anything they accuse conservatives of being.

You got that right.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #138 on: May 30, 2018, 05:26:46 pm »

Yes, Homo Sapiens Sapiens are one species, and the differences between us are less than the differences between us and any of the other great apes.  While our DNA is very similar to chimps in particular, we are still far removed from them, both in time, culture and DNA.  So, to compare one segment of our species to apes doesn't make sense and can be seen as insulting to that segment.  Or, to the apes if you dislike humans as so many on the left seem to.

But those facts don't really matter that much - it's that making the comparison to apes and monkeys has historically been an integral part of racially denigrating a segment of society.  And, of course, it's not only black people.  I remember one English cartoon about the Irish that depicted them as slavering apes.
Evolutionary comparisons (Darwinism) were really handy and readily embraced by colonial powers looking to justify the shabby treatment, enslavement, or exploitation of indigenous people.

Calling an enemy (like people who resist being exploited or enslaved) "animals" and otherwise de-humanizing them has likely gone on since the advent of warfare. By the ordinary logic, because they (whoever, not picking any group here, but talking in general) are considered less evolutionarily developed, the 'subhuman'/animal comparisons follow, with subjugation and a host of horrors. Either we view all people as people (mutually) or we don't.

If humans are evolved, well, it stands to reason that some will be more evolved  (advanced) than others. We readily attribute such to other genera, that it would apply to humans should logically follow.

If we are all God's creation, we stand on equal footing with the varied individual attributes, talents, and abilities He gave us.

So, blame Darwin....

C S Lewis

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #139 on: May 30, 2018, 05:30:40 pm »

Yes, I saw those cartoons.  The thing with me is that even though I'm part Irish (maybe ten percent), I laugh when people underestimate me.  It makes it easier for me to sneak up on them.
And to be sure, I've heard comments from English people I've known who made comments that suggested they viewed the Irish as somewhat lower in intelligence that Anglo-Saxons.
My own experience with kids of mostly Irish descent in my Catholic school upbringing made me believe on average the Irish were pretty intelligent and more so than white children of some other ethnicities.
I guess I wouldn't like it much though, if I was constantly called names  suggesting I'm subhuman.  That someone in as high a place, celebrity-wise, as Barr was to make such an asinine statement suggests that she has more than few loose marbles rattling around inside her brain.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #140 on: May 30, 2018, 05:31:24 pm »
Evolutionary comparisons (Darwinism) were really handy and readily embraced by colonial powers looking to justify the shabby treatment, enslavement, or exploitation of indigenous people.

Calling an enemy (like people who resist being exploited or enslaved) "animals" and otherwise de-humanizing them has likely gone on since the advent of warfare. By the ordinary logic, because they (whoever, not picking any group here, but talking in general) are considered less evolutionarily developed, the 'subhuman'/animal comparisons follow, with subjugation and a host of horrors. Either we view all people as people (mutually) or we don't.

If humans are evolved, well, it stands to reason that some will be more evolved  (advanced) than others. We readily attribute such to other genera, that it would apply to humans should logically follow.

If we are all God's creation, we stand on equal footing with the varied individual attributes, talents, and abilities He gave us.

So, blame Darwin....

Why would I blame Darwin?  He didn't invent racism.  It existed long before he was even a twinkle in his daddy's eye.

The Evo vs. Crevo argument isn't what created racism.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #141 on: May 30, 2018, 05:34:03 pm »
Why would I blame Darwin?  He didn't invent racism.  It existed long before he was even a twinkle in his daddy's eye.

The Evo vs. Crevo argument isn't what created racism.
Darwinism scientifically justified the prejudices which accompanied technological developments.

C S Lewis

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: BREAKING: ABC cancels 'Roseanne' following tweet on Valerie Jarrett
« Reply #142 on: May 30, 2018, 05:39:02 pm »
Topics merged

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #143 on: May 30, 2018, 05:41:10 pm »
Darwinism scientifically justified the prejudices which accompanied technological developments.

Say what?

Oceander

« Reply #144 on: May 30, 2018, 05:41:13 pm »

So, blame Darwin....

It doesn’t stand to reason that some would be more evolved. That is a classic anti-evolution fallacy. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #145 on: May 30, 2018, 05:45:16 pm »
I guess who immediately came to mind when reading these headlines is Kathy Griffin.  She holds up a bloody decapitated head of Trump and some saw that as humorous!  She didn't get a free pass because it was so over the top, but she was relatively unscathed. Barr's comments didn't have anything to do with the show, yet they cancel the show completely. Just my opinion here, but I hear of comments made by late night talk show hosts and people on "The View" with racist and politically motivated comments and their shows are still on
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:46:05 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #146 on: May 30, 2018, 05:50:12 pm »
Now, go look at the artist's conceptions of early man and tell me who is what.
http://www.ancient-origins.net/human-origins-science/faces-ancient-hominids-brought-life-remarkable-detail-001465

Exactly what point are you trying to make with that point?  Can't you just speak plainly?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 05:51:00 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #147 on: May 30, 2018, 07:16:48 pm »
As we all know crime and punishment for calling people with differing political affiliations bad things only works one way...when liberals are called names by conservatives.  And Barr isn't even a conservative.   She's more just an off the wall wacko with a smorgasbord of screwball opinions on a variety of subjects.
If you get on various lib forums, the bad things Bush and Trump are called are what many liberals think of all Republicans or conservatives.  And on some black websites you can find  opinions to the effect that ALL white people are  nasty, racist subhumans who deserve what they get.  Nothing much if anything happens to those people.

@goatprairie  Yes, people on message boards and social media in general say awful things, often about groups of people they don't like.  It happens on DU, it happens on the Washington Post; it also happens here, though less often than on FR.  Human nature includes making sweeping generalizations about people we see as different from us.  It's not left or right, it's human.

It's also human nature to ignore things we don't want to see.  Roseanne Barr has been saying nasty stuff for years, and she's gotten flak for it repeatedly.  Her targets aren't exclusively right or left.  She's been anti-Israel, anti-Jewish, then pro-Israel.  She's been pro- and anti-gay at different points.  This isn't even the first time she's compared a black person to an ape -- she did it to Susan Rice.  About the only thing she's consistent on is being anti-men.

The point is, that she's been called out every time; but people only pay attention to the reactions when they want to.  "Liberals" have been fired for saying things that *advertisers* agreed crossed the line.  Bill Maher lost his original show after 9/11 for that.  He got called out again for calling himself a house n----r and almost lost his new show for that -- if he'd referred to a guest as a house n----r he rlly would have been fired.  Wanda Sykes and Michelle Wolf have both gotten criticized for comments.  Joy Behar had serious repercussions and had to apologize, and FWIW there's a difference between criticizing all Christians and talking about someone who thinks G-d literally speaks to him. 

Roseanne has just recently said many things that were criticized.  This time she crossed the line and used a blatant racist stereotype, one that she's been called out for before.  If she'd compared VJ to a lizard person, which many people here have noted was a better comparison, she'd have been criticized again but would still have her show.  Comedians and celebs make controversial comments all the time and get hate mail for it.  But there are some blatant things that are societally agreed on norms and standards.  If we wouldn't say it to our mother/boss/in a restaurant or other public place, there's probably a reason why.

I know there are readers here who apparently aren't aware of the history of different racist stereotypes and slurs.  Maybe we need a lexicon.  But one thing: "white supremacist" is not a slur on all white people. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #148 on: May 30, 2018, 07:18:22 pm »
I guess who immediately came to mind when reading these headlines is Kathy Griffin.  She holds up a bloody decapitated head of Trump and some saw that as humorous!  She didn't get a free pass because it was so over the top, but she was relatively unscathed. Barr's comments didn't have anything to do with the show, yet they cancel the show completely. Just my opinion here, but I hear of comments made by late night talk show hosts and people on "The View" with racist and politically motivated comments and their shows are still on

@libertybele, Do you have any examples of a comment that a late night comedian or View host has said that was racist?  I still havent seen one.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Oceander

« Reply #149 on: May 30, 2018, 07:21:11 pm »
@goatprairie  Yes, people on message boards and social media in general say awful things, often about groups of people they don't like.  It happens on DU, it happens on the Washington Post; it also happens here, though less often than on FR.  Human nature includes making sweeping generalizations about people we see as different from us.  It's not left or right, it's human.

It's also human nature to ignore things we don't want to see.  Roseanne Barr has been saying nasty stuff for years, and she's gotten flak for it repeatedly.  Her targets aren't exclusively right or left.  She's been anti-Israel, anti-Jewish, then pro-Israel.  She's been pro- and anti-gay at different points.  This isn't even the first time she's compared a black person to an ape -- she did it to Susan Rice.  About the only thing she's consistent on is being anti-men.

The point is, that she's been called out every time; but people only pay attention to the reactions when they want to.  "Liberals" have been fired for saying things that *advertisers* agreed crossed the line.  Bill Maher lost his original show after 9/11 for that.  He got called out again for calling himself a house n----r and almost lost his new show for that -- if he'd referred to a guest as a house n----r he rlly would have been fired.  Wanda Sykes and Michelle Wolf have both gotten criticized for comments.  Joy Behar had serious repercussions and had to apologize, and FWIW there's a difference between criticizing all Christians and talking about someone who thinks G-d literally speaks to him. 

Roseanne has just recently said many things that were criticized.  This time she crossed the line and used a blatant racist stereotype, one that she's been called out for before.  If she'd compared VJ to a lizard person, which many people here have noted was a better comparison, she'd have been criticized again but would still have her show.  Comedians and celebs make controversial comments all the time and get hate mail for it.  But there are some blatant things that are societally agreed on norms and standards.  If we wouldn't say it to our mother/boss/in a restaurant or other public place, there's probably a reason why.

I know there are readers here who apparently aren't aware of the history of different racist stereotypes and slurs.  Maybe we need a lexicon.  But one thing: "white supremacist" is not a slur on all white people. 

Well put.