Poll

With Starbucks playing SJW and closing for Diworsity training, what other caffeine joints will you patronize?

Dunkin Donuts
2 (18.2%)
Micky "D's"
1 (9.1%)
Flyin J
0 (0%)
Tim Hortons
0 (0%)
Other
5 (45.5%)
Corbe's gas and grub
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: A Day without Starbuck: Whatever will we do  (Read 10404 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: A Day without Starbuck: Whatever will we do
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2018, 10:59:52 pm »
What restaurant do you like, if any? Just idle curiosity. I heard what you don't like, so what do you like? I might take my GF there.

There a local chain called Kobe that is a good Japanese steakhouse.  I haven't been to the Melting Pot in a long time but they used to be good.  My kitchen is really clean and has decent food most of the time, but the staff has a serious attitude problem.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2018, 11:25:46 pm »
There a local chain called Kobe that is a good Japanese steakhouse.  I haven't been to the Melting Pot in a long time but they used to be good.  My kitchen is really clean and has decent food most of the time, but the staff has a serious attitude problem.
@RoosGirl

Funny story. The last time I went to Japanese place was with a group from work. Somebody ordered a bottle of Sake for the table. When it came I accepted it from the waiter and pretended to read the bottle very carefully. It was totally written in Katakana Japanese symbols which I can't read. So I'm reading deep in thought and eventually I sent it back and asked for a different bottle. Everyone at the table was silent and looking at me. Finally I spoke up and said, "I hate that brand."

Hahaha, that could have been a bottle dishwashing soap. I wouldn't know the difference. But my friends were amazed and confused which made it a good night.

The Melting Pot!?
LOL, Fondue? that gave me a chuckle. Man I haven't thought about the Melting Pot in decades. I didn't even know they were still in business. And I just checked, there is one not too far away to reach from here. That is so cool. That is exactly where I'm going the next time I go out to eat with friends or a date. Very good idea. It is more than just eating a meal, it's fun. And you are exactly right about that My Kitchen chain. I eat there all the time. The chef is a good cook but he's a real a$$hole. And he's drunk all the time.

Seriously, thank you for the idea. I'm kind of burned out on most restaurants, mostly because I am a cook myself. If there is anything I want, I just make it. So there is nothing really new out there for me. But the Melting Pot is unique and different. That will surprise everybody. LOL! Should be a good time. OK.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:26:22 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2018, 11:42:42 pm »
Today was opening day for our Starbucks inside Kroger. I was there early for my Teavana.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2018, 11:49:33 pm »
@RoosGirl

Funny story. The last time I went to Japanese place was with a group from work. Somebody ordered a bottle of Sake for the table. When it came I accepted it from the waiter and pretended to read the bottle very carefully. It was totally written in Katakana Japanese symbols which I can't read. So I'm reading deep in thought and eventually I sent it back and asked for a different bottle. Everyone at the table was silent and looking at me. Finally I spoke up and said, "I hate that brand."

Hahaha, that could have been a bottle dishwashing soap. I wouldn't know the difference. But my friends were amazed and confused which made it a good night.

The Melting Pot!?
LOL, Fondue? that gave me a chuckle. Man I haven't thought about the Melting Pot in decades. I didn't even know they were still in business. And I just checked, there is one not too far away to reach from here. That is so cool. That is exactly where I'm going the next time I go out to eat with friends or a date. Very good idea. It is more than just eating a meal, it's fun. And you are exactly right about that My Kitchen chain. I eat there all the time. The chef is a good cook but he's a real a$$hole. And he's drunk all the time.

Seriously, thank you for the idea. I'm kind of burned out on most restaurants, mostly because I am a cook myself. If there is anything I want, I just make it. So there is nothing really new out there for me. But the Melting Pot is unique and different. That will surprise everybody. LOL! Should be a good time. OK.

Like I said, it's been years since I've been to a Melting Pot.  I drive by the one around here every now and then and for some reason am always surprised that it's still open.  The only thing I hated about going there was smelling like cooking oil when you leave, and we always got the broth cooking method so it wasn't even from our table.  But everything always seemed fresh.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2018, 11:58:29 pm »
Well duh, its Galactic $$$ accepted throughout the galaxy!

Thanks!  Thought it might be something like that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2018, 11:58:36 pm »
Like I said, it's been years since I've been to a Melting Pot.  I drive by the one around here every now and then and for some reason am always surprised that it's still open.  The only thing I hated about going there was smelling like cooking oil when you leave, and we always got the broth cooking method so it wasn't even from our table.  But everything always seemed fresh.

I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. The only thing I don't like about it everybody eating out of the same pot. Not something I would do with a group of strangers. But with people I know well it will be Ok. As long as they don't lick the fork and then stick it back in the pot. That would be kind of gross. I'll remind everyone before we start for sure.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2018, 12:36:47 am »
What? Next you will be asking what the hell a "Hoagie" is.

Never heard of a hoagie, but I could sure go for a submarine sandwich right now  :smokin:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2018, 12:38:03 am »
I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. The only thing I don't like about it everybody eating out of the same pot. Not something I would do with a group of strangers. But with people I know well it will be Ok. As long as they don't lick the fork and then stick it back in the pot. That would be kind of gross. I'll remind everyone before we start for sure.

Eww.  My husband and I met up one night with a co-worker and his wife.  I had called and made reservations a few days ahead of time and specifically reserved a table with two burners so we wouldn't have to share pots.  We got there are were seated at a table with only one burner.  I had a few words to say with the manager off to the side.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2018, 12:43:04 am »
What's a "WaWa?"
@Cyber Liberty

Wawa is a chain of convenience stores/gas stations (formerly dairies) that were started in Wawa, Pennsylvania.  The name evidently comes from the onomatopoetic Lenape or Ojibwe word for the Canada goose.

The first Wawa store I ever encountered was in 1976.  Although they started in Pennsylvania, because I was from New York State back then, I encountered it in Mahwah, NJ.  I thought the name was a stupid play on the name of the town!  Little did I know that it was a chain.

For decades, they've been locked in a struggle with Sheetz over territory in Pennsylvania.  Western PA is Sheetz territory; eastern PA is owned by Wawa.

They have great coffee, and are well known as a morning destination for people in their territory.

Any questions?   :laugh:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:57:43 am by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2018, 12:47:13 am »
I like WaWa coffee

@corbe title is misspelled it should be plural.
@Freya

Yeah, there's more than one.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2018, 01:28:18 am »
Eww.  My husband and I met up one night with a co-worker and his wife.  I had called and made reservations a few days ahead of time and specifically reserved a table with two burners so we wouldn't have to share pots.  We got there are were seated at a table with only one burner.  I had a few words to say with the manager off to the side.
@RoosGirl

I went to my exwife's family reunion and they were doing a fondue theme. About 30 people including children there each with their own fork and variety of large communal pots. And everybody was licking their forks. I asked my wife about it and she said, So What? It's all family. I didn't eat anything the whole time except bread and when they sliced a watermelon for dessert. Everyone seemed to think it was just fine. But it grossed me the hell out.

Based on what you said, I'll make sure everyone has their own pot. Even that doesn't always work. Because everyone wants a taste from yours anyway, so no real way to completely win on that. The sauce is usually hot enough to kill anything. Kept under control, it is not too, too, bad.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2018, 01:33:43 am »
Haven't purchased anything from Starbucks since 1986, (Houston Galleria).  At the time I thought it was a novelty to pay $2 for a freakin' cup of coffee.  Now I think it is idiotic.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2018, 01:36:35 am »
@RoosGirl

I went to my exwife's family reunion and they were doing a fondue theme. About 30 people including children there each with their own fork and variety of large communal pots. And everybody was licking their forks. I asked my wife about it and she said, So What? It's all family. I didn't eat anything the whole time except bread and when they sliced a watermelon for dessert. Everyone seemed to think it was just fine. But it grossed me the hell out.

Based on what you said, I'll make sure everyone has their own pot. Even that doesn't always work. Because everyone wants a taste from yours anyway, so no real way to completely win on that. The sauce is usually hot enough to kill anything. Kept under control, it is not too, too, bad.

LOL  You could always let the other people order first and then order the same thing.  No reason to share!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2018, 01:39:45 am »
Haven't purchased anything from Starbucks since 1986, (Houston Galleria).  At the time I thought it was a novelty to pay $2 for a freakin' cup of coffee.  Now I think it is idiotic.

Never spent a dime in one of those places and never will. And if you don't believe that I can put you in touch with several people I traveled to Seattle with a couple of years ago.   The original Starbucks has become guite a tourist attraction but I flat out refused to enter the place.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:40:44 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2018, 01:41:51 am »
Hopefully a lot of locally owned coffee shops around the country will get a positive impact.

I have been to starbucks exactly twice in my life. Starbucks coffee SUCKS. This kerfluffle will effect me exactly not at all.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2018, 02:01:24 am »
Never spent a dime in one of those places and never will. And if you don't believe that I can put you in touch with several people I traveled to Seattle with a couple of years ago.   The original Starbucks has become guite a tourist attraction but I flat out refused to enter the place.

Based on my Community Dark Roast usage, creme, and sweetener , I figure a cup of coffee is about 21 cents.  And IMO tastes 20 times better than draw bucks .
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2018, 02:11:26 am »

Yeah. Six bucks a cup for me. But I like it, and it is a nice treat. That is all - A treat I give my self once or twice a month. The rest of the time, I make my morning rounds with my ol tin cup... Hardware stores, Auto Supply stores, Building centers, mechanic shops, cabinet shops...

For me the free coffee is incidental to the experience - And that experience can't be found at a fancy-coffee shop.

Bulshalating with all my pals... That's what I am wandering round for.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2018, 02:15:23 am »
Yeah. Six bucks a cup for me. But I like it, and it is a nice treat. That is all - A treat I give my self once or twice a month. The rest of the time, I make my morning rounds with my ol tin cup... Hardware stores, Auto Supply stores, Building centers, mechanic shops, cabinet shops...

For me the free coffee is incidental to the experience - And that experience can't be found at a fancy-coffee shop.

Bulshalating with all my pals... That's what I am wandering round for.

My folks would roll over in their graves if I ever even considered paying $6.00 for a cup of coffee.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2018, 02:23:56 am »
My folks would roll over in their graves if I ever even considered paying $6.00 for a cup of coffee.

A triple mocha breve w/ Irish Creme is not really coffee. There is coffee in it, for sure... and a couple bucks of that is for tip... I don't rightly know, but I think it runs $4-4.50.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2018, 02:29:04 am »
A triple mocha breve w/ Irish Creme is not really coffee. There is coffee in it, for sure... and a couple bucks of that is for tip... I don't rightly know, but I think it runs $4-4.50.

Oh I have no problem with anyone buying whatever they want with their money but I just can't do it.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2018, 02:31:12 am »
Oh I have no problem with anyone buying whatever they want with their money but I just can't do it.

Funny how many people I meet/know who complain they can't retire or get ahead financially are sporting a $6 draw bucks cup of coffee in their hand.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2018, 02:34:55 am »
Funny how many people I meet/know who complain they can't retire or get ahead financially are sporting a $6 draw bucks cup of coffee in their hand.

Yeah! Along with living in houses and driving cars they never could afford.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2018, 02:44:27 am »
I have been to starbucks exactly twice in my life. Starbucks coffee SUCKS. This kerfluffle will effect me exactly not at all.

I get my Columbian and Sumatra roasted at Peets and shipped the same day and grind my own beans before brewing a pot of java that I drink on all day.

Nothing finer in the mornings.

Unless the wife is home and feeling' frisky that early.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 02:45:31 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online roamer_1

« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2018, 03:13:39 am »
I get my Columbian and Sumatra roasted at Peets and shipped the same day and grind my own beans before brewing a pot of java that I drink on all day.

Yeah the new woman's got me going on all that... Dunno the brand... But I know the crappy Folgers that used to suit me fine, ain't good enough anymore. She'll be home not this Friday, but next, and I will be happy enough to see that highfalutin stainless coffee machine back in action.