Author Topic: Ted Cruz - Media Is Avoiding Santa Fe School Shooting Because Texas Students Don’t Want Gun Control  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Daily Signal by Genevieve Wood 5/23/2018

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, says students from the high school near Houston where the deadly shooting occurred told him they don’t believe more gun control is the way to make schools safer.

In an interview in his Senate office Tuesday with The Daily Signal, Cruz said support for the Second Amendment in Texas is why CNN and other media outlets aren’t giving these students the kind of wall-to-wall coverage that followed the school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

Cruz also talked about why the Senate should work full workweeks and potentially skip the August recess to get more done. From making tax reform for individuals and small businesses permanent to repealing Obamacare’s employer mandate, the Texas senator said plenty of legislative priorities could be passed with a simple majority and Republicans should take advantage of the relatively rare opportunity of being in charge in Washington.

Cruz also applauded President Donald Trump both for listening to many views and for standing up to much of official Washington and fulfilling his promises to move the U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem and get America out of the Iran nuclear deal.

More: https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/05/23/ted-cruz-says-media-avoids-texas-school-shooting-because-students-dont-want-gun-control

Offline GrouchoTex

I had noticed that, other than the Houston area, the national media has pretty much let this go after about 72 hours.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Real classy, campaigning on the slaughter of innocents, never let a crisis go to waste.  I hope at least, the dead have all been buried.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Real classy, campaigning on the slaughter of innocents, never let a crisis go to waste.  I hope at least, the dead have all been buried.

You're kidding, right?

Offline thackney

I had noticed that, other than the Houston area, the national media has pretty much let this go after about 72 hours.

This event didn't fit the predetermined narrative.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline GrouchoTex

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The MSN takes their cue from Little Hoggette types these days.  He was muted.  And this being Texas, No one stepped in to play the the Victim in Santa Fe.  So the dog whistles were silenced.  Same thing in Dixon Il last week when the school Cop shot the Kid before he could kill anyone.  Crickets.  Press moved on.  But only to wait for the next....
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Sadly no, he's not.

Naw, it's clearly meant ironically.  Nobody could actually believe that.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Naw, it's clearly meant ironically.  Nobody could actually believe that.

Don't forget your sarc tag when you say stuff like that darling Sangie.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

I guess that the MSM thinks that  Texan's lives as worth less than other parts of the country..... :whistle:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The media isn't making hay of the Santa Fe School shootings because the shooter's act doesn't fit their narrative.   He didn't use a dreaded "assault weapon" but rather an ordinary long gun and a revolver.   No sensible persons, even on the left, are proposing to ban such weapons, so the Texas shootings don't advance the narrative that supports the liberals' agenda.   And of course the reaction of most Texans hasn't been outrage at the NRA, but rather good old fashioned compassion and support for the victims.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

The media isn't making hay of the Santa Fe School shootings because the shooter's act doesn't fit their narrative.   He didn't use a dreaded "assault weapon" but rather an ordinary long gun and a revolver.   No sensible persons, even on the left, are proposing to ban such weapons, so the Texas shootings don't advance the narrative that supports the liberals' agenda.   And of course the reaction of most Texans hasn't been outrage at the NRA, but rather good old fashioned compassion and support for the victims.   

I have to say I'm surprised at the amount of damage he managed.  A pump shotgun and a revolver; he was engaged with armed response within 4 minutes.  It did take them another 25 minutes to have him surrender while gun fire continued.

For me it makes banning of the AR types absurd.  And I would have thought the armed response would have done better shutting it down, let alone prevent the conflict in the first place.

It may not stay in the media but Texas and Local are putting a lot of effort into better understanding how to prevent.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I have to say I'm surprised at the amount of damage he managed.  A pump shotgun and a revolver; he was engaged with armed response within 4 minutes.  It did take them another 25 minutes to have him surrender while gun fire continued.

For me it makes banning of the AR types absurd.  And I would have thought the armed response would have done better shutting it down, let alone prevent the conflict in the first place.

It may not stay in the media but Texas and Local are putting a lot of effort into better understanding how to prevent.

Yes, instead of flailing and self-flagellating, they are trying to solve the problem.  What a thought.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

You're never going to let your hatred for Ted Cruz go, are you? 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
You're never going to let your hatred for Ted Cruz go, are you?

Tom C said that anyone who didn't support Trump was the same as alQaeda and ISIS.  So consider that source.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Rivergirl

In nearly every case the guns used to murder were taken from the home without permission.   Firearms must be locked up so that no one can use them without permission.   In nearly every case it was teen boys who committed there horrible crimes.  The threats or warnings made prior to the crimes must be addressed and involuntary commitment must be part of the solution.
JMO

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I agree, @thackney  -  banning of the AR-type weapons is arbitrary and absurd,  and the focus needs to be on prevention/mitigation, not showboating to scare up votes in the next election.   

It looks like the facts may show the shooter's motivation may have been anger at being bullied.   "Revenge" killings are a dime a dozen, and don't rate much mention in the media.  But the schools need to be better attuned to the damage caused by bullying.   The scars can last for years.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

I agree, @thackney  -  banning of the AR-type weapons is arbitrary and absurd,  and the focus needs to be on prevention/mitigation, not showboating to scare up votes in the next election.   

It looks like the facts may show the shooter's motivation may have been anger at being bullied.   "Revenge" killings are a dime a dozen, and don't rate much mention in the media.  But the schools need to be better attuned to the damage caused by bullying.   The scars can last for years.

That has been tossed around, but digging into it doesn't seem to be any different than a typical kid, he wasn't a everyday target.

Too close to us.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Be surprised it wasn't worse.  A 12ga with a 2 3/4" 00 Buck shell is like getting hit with 9 rounds of .32 cal at once.  What seems to have limited the carnage was the quick response by law enforcement and fact the shooter seemed interested in shooting specific people.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:14:43 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline thackney

Be surprised it wasn't worse.  A 12ga with a 2 3/4" 00 Buck shell is like getting hit with 9 rounds of .32 cal at once.  What seems to have limited the carnage was the quick response by law enforcement and fact the shooter seemed interested in specific shooting specific people.

They kept him from moving down the hall was the biggest impact I suspect.  I was surprised not by the individual damage, but the number of individuals he managed to shoot.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:13:14 pm by thackney »

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
In nearly every case the guns used to murder were taken from the home without permission.   Firearms must be locked up so that no one can use them without permission.   In nearly every case it was teen boys who committed there horrible crimes.  The threats or warnings made prior to the crimes must be addressed and involuntary commitment must be part of the solution.
JMO

888high58888
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I know a lot of you all may not like NPR, but they are still covering this daily, both morning and afternoon.  Good stories about the families, the first responders, the prayer services.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I know a lot of you all may not like NPR, but they are still covering this daily, both morning and afternoon.  Good stories about the families, the first responders, the prayer services.

Driving hazard, no matter what content.  The droning delivery of the hosts puts you to sleep at the wheel.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.