Author Topic: Harvard's Tribe on CNN: To impeach Trump, 'you have to shoot to kill'  (Read 5443 times)

Offline the_doc

The past tense of see is saw. As in, 'I saw it.'
However this usage is in decline. Now, everyone I see on television is saying, 'I seen it.' I haven't heard anyone say, 'I saw it up on the hill.' in years. Everyone 'seen' it up on the hill.

"It has been seen." is correct.
"I seen it." is technically incorrect. However, these days it is in common use.

This used to irk me a little, but I have accepted that 'seen' is the new 'saw'. Languages change over time. This just happens to be one that happened in my lifetime.

The same with, 'Where are you at?' Everybody says this. Even though it is ridiculous. 'Where are you?' is better. So many people are adding an extra word simply to make the question grammatically incorrect. 'at' in this case adds nothing to what is being said. And yet, everyone adds it. I don't know why.

Since we are on the topic, what is with replacing words that begin with vowels with 'uh'. For example, you never have to be there immediately, you have to be there 'uh'mediately. There is never an emergency. There is only an 'uh'mergency. Even newscasters, people who are supposedly trained in language do this. It is perplexing. There is no experiment. There is only an 'exspearmint'.

Oh well, life too short to worry about things like this.

Americans as a whole are pretty stupid compared to one or two generations ago.  The disparity is even more obvious, I believe, if we go back 100 to 200 years.

Stupidity may very well be more contagious in our day of rapid mass communication.  To illustrate:  about two or three decades ago, I heard a TV news anchor warn viewers about an upcoming gruesome video clip by calling it "heart-wrenching."  That was the first time in my life that I had heard anyone confuse "heart-rending" with "gut-wrenching."

(One can rend [rip or otherwise tear] a heart but not wrench [twist or knot] a heart.)

Several months later, I heard another TV anchor make the blunder of saying "heart-wrenching."  By the end of the year, however, I was hearing the misstatement about once or twice a week--at both local and national news levels.  My viewing habits were pretty constant at that time, and I don't believe the gruesome videos were becoming more common.  The TV anchors were just getting dumbed down by their dumb colleagues in the media. 

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:24:20 pm by the_doc »

Offline musiclady

It did, and it was decided it had to go, probably due to liberals screaming "What about women??."  I guess the changing of the quote was one small step for a man, but one giant leap backward for mankind.

I have no problem with the change since there were women on the Enterprise.

Maybe making something out of nothing here?

Just saying........  :shrug:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I have no problem with the change since there were women on the Enterprise.

Maybe making something out of nothing here?

Just saying........  :shrug:

Probably.  I remember at the time it seemed a little off-putting...It drew a line between the days when "Man" could refer to "Mankind," and the days that using the word "Man" that way became some kind of an insult.   
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline musiclady

Probably.  I remember at the time it seemed a little off-putting...It drew a line between the days when "Man" could refer to "Mankind," and the days that using the word "Man" that way became some kind of an insult.

Perhaps to some an insult, but to others merely inaccurate.

The issue is not always as black and white as it seems.  There is rationale behind some of the changes in language that goes far beyond being merely "PC."  Some of them are just corrections.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
@INVAR @Chosen Daughter @whomever

You really don't think God's on Trump's side?
Hawaiian Judge rules against Trump

Hawaii is now covered in molten lava

Posted by: Stephanie, Nene

:laugh:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Oh boy....  *****rollingeyes*****
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Excellent! 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline GrouchoTex

LOL, That's funny (unless you live in Hawaii)

Offline the_doc

Well...we'd better hope that God doesn't work that way, since most if not all of our 50 states have had high-profile politicos opposing Trump in various ugly ways.  And about half of all the folks in the USA still despise this putative "man of God."  If the Hawaiian volcanism is divine retribution for one judge's opposition to Trump, our whole country is likely going to be covered with lava.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Excellent!

One:  Hawaii is not covered with molten lava. Only a small part of the Big Island is affected and none of the other islands.

Two:  Don't blame God for acts of nature that hurt innocent people.

Three:  Don't blame Hawaii for one stupid judge.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

One:  Hawaii is not covered with molten lava. Only a small part of the Big Island is affected and none of the other islands.

If Hawaii has other than stupid judges @Emjay  .... you're going to have to prove it.   :laugh:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
If Hawaii has other than stupid judges @Emjay  .... you're going to have to prove it.   :laugh:

I might be able to prove that every member of the ruling class in Hawaii is stupid, but what would be the point.  They would still be stupid.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline WingNot

Lighten up Francis.  It was a joke. Only liberals believe that stuff.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Lighten up Francis.  It was a joke. Only liberals believe that stuff.

Yeah, I have a brother on Oahu, so I know a little bit too.  I've been on the Chain of Craters Road, too.  Not much left of it that you can drive on these days.

Never been to Maui, though.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline musiclady

Yeah, I have a brother on Oahu, so I know a little bit too.  I've been on the Chain of Craters Road, too.  Not much left of it that you can drive on these days.

Never been to Maui, though.

Road to Hana.................. absolutely awesome!

Offline musiclady

Actually, it should be Trump's goal to be on God's side, not the other way around......

(Just for theological clarification.  ^-^)

Offline WingNot

Actually, it should be Trump's goal to be on God's side, not the other way around......

(Just for theological clarification.  ^-^)

@Frank Cannon   You went of the rails with that Fake Musiclady comment. 

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon   You went of the rails with that Fake Musiclady comment.

Shit. Did I say that? That's what happens when I type and do a line off the dashboard in rush hour traffic.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Shit. Did I say that? That's what happens when I type and do a line off the dashboard in rush hour traffic.

You wouldn't have that problem if you scored better blow.
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

You are excused.  Could happen to anyone.