Author Topic: Elon Musk's Great Model 3 Bait and Switch  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

Elon Musk's Great Model 3 Bait and Switch
« on: May 21, 2018, 03:25:22 pm »
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-05-21/elon-musks-great-model-3-bait-and-switch

The Tesla Model 3 was supposed to be the "entry-level" electric vehicle for the middle class, that "made it up in volume": leading up to the release of the Model 3, it was positioned as the people's EV that everybody could afford and that, once mass produced, would help Tesla generate cash and profits consistently. The car's relatively modest $35,000 price tag was heralded as one of its key selling points, low enough that Tesla could generate the volume needed to gain operating leverage from selling it to the masses.

But as Elon Musk himself admitted this weekend on Twitter, selling a $35,000 Model 3 right now would cause Tesla to "lose money and die".

So, instead of selling this mass-market vehicle, Tesla has focused on selling a more expensive version of the vehicle. A much, much more expensive version, in fact more than double the base price... and, if Elon Musk's Tweets this weekend are any indication, Tesla doesn’t have any near-term plans to start selling the vehicle at anything close to the $35,000 price tag that was initially promised anytime soon.

Instead, Musk was busy introducing yet another high priced variation of the Model 3, this time the dual motor, all wheel drive Model 3 that could run a price tag of just under $80,000.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Elon Musk's Great Model 3 Bait and Switch
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 03:26:23 pm »
LOL. Sure thing Elon. Your company isn't circling the drain.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 03:33:26 pm »
Instead, Musk was busy introducing yet another high priced variation of the Model 3, this time the dual motor, all wheel drive Model 3 that could run a price tag of just under $80,000.

Can you believe the unmitigated gall of this blatant ass-hole?  He has failure tattooed on his forehead and he is still griffting with a AWD model 3?   This guys truly is a Saint.  Saint Elon. Patron saint of losers and fools with more money that brains.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 03:39:08 pm »
I'm sure that home battery thing is going to make up the difference.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 03:46:07 pm »
I'm sure that home battery thing is going to make up the difference.

I hear those will keep your house warm in the winter......by breaking out into an uncontrollable fire.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 04:02:44 pm »
I hear those will keep your house warm in the winter......by breaking out into an uncontrollable fire.

No fires are "uncontrollable".  Unpredictable yes! A St. Elon trait to be sure..

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 04:04:54 pm »
No fires are "uncontrollable".  Unpredictable yes! A St. Elon trait to be sure..

So does anyone have an ongoing tally of how much this SOB has bilked the taxpayer so far?
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 04:06:48 pm »
So does anyone have an ongoing tally of how much this SOB has bilked the taxpayer so far?

I think @Frankcannon  had a graph he posted a while back.   It was substantial.