Author Topic: Transgender Woman Sues After Muslim Refuses Body Waxing Service (Canada)  (Read 2114 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Oh please.    What does any of this have to do with white paranoia and the denial of "white rights"?   

A white person is protected by anti-discrimination laws the same as anybody else.   Funny thing though - white folks just don't seem to be the victims of discrimination all that much.  And I guess that's @sneakypete 's point - a lawsuit alleging discrimination on the basis of whiteness may well just be dismissed as frivolous, and the plaintiff obliged to compensate the dependent for his/her legal bills  in defending against such foolishness.   

@Jazzhead

You are as full of <NOPE>. Or a <NOPE>. Which is it? Name the last time a discrimination suit was filed against someone that wasn't white, and not dismissed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:02:08 pm by MOD3 »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I figured that this will happen in the US eventually.
A Muslim will refuse to make a cake, provide flowers, not allow unisex bathrooms in their stores, etc.

Interesting to see who wins this round.....

@GrouchoTex  Yes, I've been wondering when that would happen. I'm sure someone would love to try it, just to prove the point.  I've suspected that maybe Muslim-owned companies tend to provide services only of interest to their community -- like specific types of wedding pastries, etc.  Different cultural customs may make their services of less interest to "outsiders".  And the businesses I do know, like halal butchers, seem happy to sell to anyone.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline GrouchoTex

@GrouchoTex  Yes, I've been wondering when that would happen. I'm sure someone would love to try it, just to prove the point.  I've suspected that maybe Muslim-owned companies tend to provide services only of interest to their community -- like specific types of wedding pastries, etc.  Different cultural customs may make their services of less interest to "outsiders".  And the businesses I do know, like halal butchers, seem happy to sell to anyone.

The Muslim owned businesses in my area have been friendly towards us, no issues.
Yet, I am a straight white male, so I wonder what may happen if I were not?

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead

My firm did labor and employment work for one of the largest private employers in the country.  That employer had a mandate that a certain percentage (at a minimum) of its legal work be done by females and minorities.  What this meant was that work -- and it was good work that billed well -- had to be assigned disproportionately to females and minorities.  The result was that if you were a male/white associate, you couldn't sniff that work.  That affected compensation, partnership track, etc..  That exact issue -- discrimination -- was brought up at the annual meeting of our Labor and Employment Partners, and the head of our Group openly admitted it was discrimination.  He said "let's just hope none of them decide to sue."

That is hardly uncommon.  So-called "diversity" mandates too often amount to a form of institutionalized discrimination, and the only thing that saves many companies from getting hauled into court is, frankly, lying about the programs.  I know because I defended such firms, and finally quit because I simply couldn't continue  to tell managers what they could and couldn't say about what they'd been told by higher-ups about hiring.

I'll tell you another truism -- if you are a minority with a good degree/record from a better school, you can write your own ticket.  Firms are begging for them and will pay a premium, which should not be possible under anti-discrimination laws.

Good points, @Maj. Bill Martin.   I was thinking of discrimination with respect to service in a public accommodation - there just isn't much discrimination against whites at lunch counters.   But in employment,  especially with respect to major corporations and professional firms that tout their "diversity" policies,  it can be a distinct disadvantage to be a white male.   Professional firms tend to justify their diversity programs on the ground that their clients demand them,  and proving actionable discrimination is just about impossible.  Still,  when an employer consciously favors employees with certain characteristics, what often results is a zero sum game.   Where there are winners, there are also losers.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Professional firms tend to justify their diversity programs on the ground that their clients demand them,  and proving actionable discrimination is just about impossible. 

Of course, the fact that clients demand them doesn't make them any more legal.

And I'm not sure it's that proof is impossible, but that the personal/professional consequences of suing your firm may go far beyond any benefit you might get.  It simply is not worth it.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Good points, @Maj. Bill Martin.   I was thinking of discrimination with respect to service in a public accommodation - there just isn't much discrimination against whites at lunch counters.   But in employment,  especially with respect to major corporations and professional firms that tout their "diversity" policies,  it can be a distinct disadvantage to be a white male.     

@Jazzhead

And let's not overlook what is in FACT an incredible amount of discrimination against white males for slots in advanced career schools and promotions.

ANYBODY that honestly thinks those female Rangers graduated from a course with the same physical challengers as the Ranger School Course that existed before women were accepted shouldn't be allowed to cross a street by themselves.

And you can bet all three are already on the fast track to being a General Officer unless they are caught on film molesting a child or committing treason. Maybe not even then.

If Bubbette! had been elected,there would probably be a female Chairwoman now seated at the JCS meetings.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!