Author Topic: A mother's powerful letter about her child's experience hiding from the Santa Fe shooter  (Read 919 times)

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
A mother's powerful letter about her child's experience hiding from the Santa Fe shooter

By AnneClaire Stapleton, CNN
Updated 6:38 PM ET, Sat May 19, 2018

(CNN) — Deedra Van Ness, the mother of a student who survived Friday's deadly shooting at a Texas high school, took to social media on Saturday to share her family's harrowing tale.

In a letter titled "The longest day of my life," Van Ness described her 15-year-old daughter Isabelle Laymance's frightening experience hiding with classmates in a classroom closet as a gunman roamed the halls of Santa Fe High School, killing 10 people and wounding many others.

Van Ness said she chose to make her letter public because "it's important for people to hear these stories and truly understand the impact."

The full letter is published below:

As my daughter finally sleeps, I no longer can keep the tears from falling. We see / hear about these tragedies through a TV screen once removed. While we grieve with and for the families, we truly have no idea what they are experiencing.

The outpouring of prayers and love from across the country have been very much appreciated by our family. And for those saying that sending prayers means nothing, all I can say is STFU! You have no idea how much it meant to us today knowing we were not alone in praying for our child.

I've talked to some people today and... https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/19/us/santa-fe-high-school-deedra-van-ness/index.html
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:45:42 am by AllThatJazzZ »

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Slide Rule

No doubt the letter was heart rendering.

Right up the alley for CNN.

This is precisely the type of letter that will get others shot.

The lady should use her gift to oppose not enable.

:)

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Axeslinger

No doubt the letter was heart rendering.

Right up the alley for CNN.

This is precisely the type of letter that will get others shot.

The lady should use her gift to oppose not enable.

:)

@Slide Rule You should maybe read the letter before you render your judgments..  She makes no statement one way or the other about any of the political issues.  It is merely an accounting of what transpired for her daughter in that classroom, what transpired for herself after her daughters call, and what the rest of the day was like for her family. 

I am one of the staunchest 2A guys on TBR and I had no problem with her letter whatsoever
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 12:12:50 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline verga

From the letter: Unbelievably, other students are bullying her on social media. Blaming her for not trying to do more to save her classmates, calling her a liar about what happened, etc. I tell her it's time to shut off social media and put the phone away.

This girl was in the closet where two students were killed and several were wounded. What kind of @$$hole does this this to another person. What more did they want her to do?
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Slide Rule

@Slide Rule You should maybe read the letter before you render your judgments..  She makes no statement one way or the other about any of the political issues.  It is merely an accounting of what transpired for her daughter in that classroom, what transpired for herself after her daughters call, and what the rest of the day was like for her family. 

I am one of the staunchest 2A guys on TBR and I had no problem with her letter whatsoever

I did read the letter before posting.

It was a beautiful letter. Something once
written should have been placed under lock and key.

All the commentary about helpfulness doesn't help despite
it all.

As to your staunch level. I'd say you need an injection.
The devil made me say that.

Warmest,
Al

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

She should be sending that letter to the coward school guard who chose to save himself rather than kids he was hired to protect.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
She should be sending that letter to the coward school guard who chose to save himself rather than kids he was hired to protect.
This was Santa Fe, not Parkland.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.

@IsailedawayfromFR

Just so you're clear...

Update on Santa Fe ISD Police Officer John Barnes, who was seriously wounded and nearly killed while confronting a school shooter: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/galveston/articleComments/Officer-injured-during-Santa-Fe-High-School-12974315.php

Thanks, @Smokin Joe, for setting the record straight.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@IsailedawayfromFR

Just so you're clear...

Update on Santa Fe ISD Police Officer John Barnes, who was seriously wounded and nearly killed while confronting a school shooter: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/neighborhood/galveston/articleComments/Officer-injured-during-Santa-Fe-High-School-12974315.php

Thanks, @Smokin Joe, for setting the record straight.
You're welcome! I just hate it when the guys who do right get lumped in with the ones who don't.
This guy flatlined twice from doing his job, and the world is a better place because the doctors got him back.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:55:13 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This was Santa Fe, not Parkland.
So right.  Sorry for confusion.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington