Author Topic: Abbott, local officials in new fight over Harvey money  (Read 1289 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Abbott, local officials in new fight over Harvey money
« on: May 16, 2018, 10:15:51 pm »
Houston Chronicle 5/16/2018 by Mike Ward and Mike Morris

Local officials in Houston and dozens of Gulf Coast jurisdictions devastated by Hurricane Harvey on Wednesday asked the state to tap its Rainy Day Fund savings account to pay for billions in disaster mitigation projects, the latest political fight to erupt over state funding.

Gov. Greg Abbott immediately responded with a letter of his own to Houston: Stop complaining. Plenty of money is available, but you haven't applied for any of it.

In addition, he told Houston that of the $50 million the state lent it last September to cover emergency costs, the city has spent less than $5 million.

"There is more money available to you than you have demonstrated the ability to spend to respond to Hurricane Harvey and to mitigate future damage," Abbott said in his terse response to the local officials' plea. "I strongly urge you to begin taking advantage of these funds today."

The governor's office is sending similar letters to the other 55 Harvey-battered counties and cities that signed the request to Abbott.

More: https://www.chron.com/news/politics/texas/article/Abbott-local-officials-in-new-fight-over-Harvey-12919020.php

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Abbott, local officials in new fight over Harvey money
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:09:56 am »
I sure like Abbott.

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:30:50 pm »
Stop complaining. Plenty of money is available, but you haven't applied for any of it.

In addition, he told Houston that of the $50 million the state lent it last September to cover emergency costs, the city has spent less than $5 million.

What the heck is going on with Houston?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 12:36:09 pm »
I sure like Abbott.

Damn straight. His response is priceless.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:23:13 pm »
What the heck is going on with Houston?

Houston's mayor is a former democrat member of the state house and it's killing them that Texas has some money set aside that they can't get their grubby paws on!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:46:10 pm »
They don't want the money for disaster relief. They want to put it in their pocket. But the application process makes that difficult because it puts them on the record and it gets audited.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline thackney

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 02:03:00 pm »
Houston's mayor is a former democrat member of the state house and it's killing them that Texas has some money set aside that they can't get their grubby paws on!

It is more confusing than that if they only spent 5 of the $50 million already given them.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 02:03:50 pm »
It is more confusing than that if they only spent 5 of the $50 million already given them.

...and are demanding more.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 02:05:18 pm »
They don't want the money for disaster relief. They want to put it in their pocket. But the application process makes that difficult because it puts them on the record and it gets audited.

B I N G O ! ! !
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien