Author Topic: In training to be on church security team; need recommendations for new CCL handgun  (Read 8152 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
I almost replaced my faithful XDs with a Sig 365 but decided against it in the end.

I REALLY like the 365 though.

@Bigun I'm pushing really hard and dropping hints every day to my wife I'd like a 365 for our anniversary next month.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline mountaineer

The price of the P938 is scaring me a little. I do like the look of the LC9. I should be doing some shooting within the next week or so, and will have a better idea what to get. Thanks for all the input!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The price of the P938 is scaring me a little. I do like the look of the LC9. I should be doing some shooting within the next week or so, and will have a better idea what to get. Thanks for all the input!

@mountaineer

Shop around.

Buy online and have it shipped to a local FFL.

https://www.deguns.net/product-p/938-9-db-lsr-ambi.htm

Sig Sauer P938 Desert 9mm Nitron with Laser - 938-9-DB-LSR-AMBI

Our Price: $699.00
Sale Price: $549.99
Savings: $149.01

Online Lando Lincoln

It is possible you could run into an LC9 out there at a "steal" price.  Don't do it.  Be sure to get the LC9s which has the vastly improved trigger/striker-fired arrangement.  I'm not up to speed on the EC9s but I believe it is a basic stripped down version of the LC9s at a lower price.

Also, if you consider a LC9s, pull the slide back and look at the end stop of the guide rod.  It originally was a "T".  The newer versions have a conical end which ensures proper seating after each round. 

My personal opinion... I like the Ruger LC9s.  A lot. 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 02:46:05 pm by Lando Lincoln »
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline thackney

It is possible you could run into an LC9 out there at a "steal" price.  Don't do it.  Be sure to get the LC9s which has the vastly improved trigger/striker-fired arrangement.  I'm not up to speed on the EC9s but I believe it is a basic stripped down LC9s and a lower price.

I have the LC9s.  I would not get the LC9.  The EC9s is an inch bigger in length and height, same width.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/12/21/affordable-everyday-carry-ruger-announces-ec9s-pistol/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

Sig Sauer P938 Desert 9mm Nitron with Laser - 938-9-DB-LSR-AMBI
Wow, that's pretty.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@mountaineer

Please read this article:

https://www.skilledsurvival.com/sw-airweight-review/

The advantage of the 642 is that it is hammerless (no hammer to catch on clothing when you draw, or hang up in it if you are shooting at very close range through a coat pocket or purse). I have one for a 'parka pocket' gun in winter. They are light, but for shooting purposes, they are double action only and have a harder trigger pull than the 637 model. The 637 model will shoot single action or double action (you have a hammer to cock the Model 637), but that same hammer can snag in clothing on a draw and renders the firearm performance problematical for shooting while still in a pocket or purse at very close range (arms length) defense, as it can hang up and keep the firearm from discharging.

Likely, you would want to carry with a holster, so it becomes a question of whether you are more comfortable with the hammer and possibility of shooting single action or more so with the double action trigger pull. I find the 'slick' profile of the hammerless to be a plus.

To reiterate, these pistols are light weight, and are chambered for .38 special and rated for the more powerful +P rounds.

Unless you see the need for larger capacity or just prefer the semi-auto (and I am a semiauto fan), this is a good balance of power, reliability and light weight.

Just my $0.02. YMMV.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 11:30:45 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Going to the range tomorrow and hope to try out a few different 9mms.  ^-^

Offline thackney

Going to the range tomorrow and hope to try out a few different 9mms.  ^-^

Woo Hoo!

We will await your written report.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

Fired a Springfield Arms XD 9mm today. I think I'd like to try something more compact.
For what it's worth, though, I was pretty darn accurate with it.  ^-^
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 12:45:45 am by mountaineer »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Fired a Springfield Arms XD 9mm today. I think I'd like to try something more compact.

Find someone who has and XDs and try that.  I think you will like it a lot and not just because I carry one.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Are you looking for a single stack magazine firearm (usually 6-7 rounds in the mag), or sticking with the capacity (15-15) offered by a double stack magazine semi-auto?

If the latter, check out the S&W M&P9, Gun tests rated it highly. (My favorite is a Sig P228, and I have not shot the Smith).
The KelTec PF9 is a single stack with a very thin profile and I have fired those, and I liked them, but it lacks the capacity of the Sig. It is also rated fairly high by Gun Tests.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:15:10 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Probably ought to consider a greater capacity magazine, come to think of it. I liked having 16 bullets at my disposal,  and for church security work, that makes sense.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Probably ought to consider a greater capacity magazine, come to think of it. I liked having 16 bullets at my disposal,  and for church security work, that makes sense.

The absolute best compromise on size/mag capacity I've seen is in the Sig P365.  I seriously doubt you will find anything better.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
The absolute best compromise on size/mag capacity I've seen is in the Sig P365.  I seriously doubt you will find anything better.

:amen:
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@mountaineer

If its for church security, have you considered "open carry"?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:24:20 am by Elderberry »

Offline mountaineer

Nothing quite like that. Next will check out Glock and M&P.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

@Bigun I did end up getting the P365 for Father's Day.

It's everything I was hoping for and more.  And everything that's it's been advertised as being since it's debut in January.

Shoots straight right out of the box and tucks away in my pocket.

It's the size of a G43 but with up to 13 rounds of 9mm
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 02:47:33 am by txradioguy »

Offline RoosGirl

Lady, let's talk.  No, actually, let's shop!

Let's shop for magazine holsters:
https://thewellarmedwoman.com/product/universaladjustable-magazine-holster-by-the-well-armed-woman/

That match your concealed carry holster:
https://thewellarmedwoman.com/product/waistband-holster-well-armed-woman-custom-models-colors/

You carry your extra ammo on you, not in some weighted down pistol.   ^-^

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Lady, let's talk.  No, actually, let's shop!

Let's shop for magazine holsters:
https://thewellarmedwoman.com/product/universaladjustable-magazine-holster-by-the-well-armed-woman/

That match your concealed carry holster:
https://thewellarmedwoman.com/product/waistband-holster-well-armed-woman-custom-models-colors/

"You donnnn't neeeeed morrrre than six bullllets to killll a deeeeer!"  /Coumo Voice.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

"You donnnn't neeeeed morrrre than six bullllets to killll a deeeeer!"  /Coumo Voice.

I'm blind as a bat, need all the ammo I can carry.  :laugh:

Offline Frank Cannon

In training to be on church security team; need recommendations for new CCL handgun

First recommendation is not to go to church in South Philly. You wouldn't need a gun then.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
@Bigun I did end up getting the P365 for Father's Day.

It's everything I was hoping for and more.  And everything that's it's been advertised as being since it's debut in January.

Shoots straight right out of the box and tucks away in my pocket.

It's the size of a G43 but with up to 13 rounds of 9mm

That's great @txradioguy

I've looked at it very hard and still may eventually wind up with one myself!

Enjoy!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline mountaineer

Oh, I know. Security team members will be expected to carry two extra magazines. That's how we're training - empty the magazine, whip it out and drop it on the ground, insert the new one, keep firing.

The funny thing is that this isn't anything like South Philly. It's a quiet little farm town in western Pennsylvania, but no one can be complacent anymore. A church down the road from our home has an armed security guard stationed outside the sanctuary (doors are closed) every Sunday. He has a trained German Shepherd with him. The dog would rip your arm off, if ordered, but he also bows his head when the pastor says, "Let us pray."  :laugh:

I mentioned to my sister that we're training for the security team and she admitted that she gets very nervous at her church in suburban Pittsburgh, thinking that someone could storm in and start shooting.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 12:31:18 pm by mountaineer »