Author Topic: In training to be on church security team; need recommendations for new CCL handgun  (Read 8157 times)

Online mountaineer

Mr. M and I, both concealed carry permit holders, have offered to be part of our church's security team, currently in its formative stages. His carry piece is a Taurus .38 revolver and mine is a S&W Sigma .380 semi-automatic pistol. My gun is pretty darn heavy (it's about 18 years old)  and I'd like to get something more manageable. I generally use a concealed-carry purse, although I might also holster.

Last night we had a pistol training session with other team members, and the instructor suggested I get a 9mm handgun. He recommended the Kahr for me, and when we go to the range in a couple weeks, the instructor said he'd let me try it - and a few other guns - to try out.

Before I make a decision, I'd like some input from all of you who carry a 9mm. Which would you recommend for ease of handling, weight and reliability?  Thanks!
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

Colt Buntline Special revolver.  As seen in movie "City Heat", 1984.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/City_Heat

Just kidding.  Bookmarking thread for reading better replies.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Axeslinger

Mr. M and I, both concealed carry permit holders, have offered to be part of our church's security team, currently in its formative stages. His carry piece is a Taurus .38 revolver and mine is a S&W Sigma .380 semi-automatic pistol. My gun is pretty darn heavy (it's about 18 years old)  and I'd like to get something more manageable. I generally use a concealed-carry purse, although I might also holster.

Last night we had a pistol training session with other team members, and the instructor suggested I get a 9mm handgun. He recommended the Kahr for me, and when we go to the range in a couple weeks, the instructor said he'd let me try it - and a few other guns - to try out.

Before I make a decision, I'd like some input from all of you who carry a 9mm. Which would you recommend for ease of handling, weight and reliability?  Thanks!

M&P Shield all day and twice on Sunday’s (see what i did there?   8888forgot)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:53:54 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Meldrew

Shield's not a bad choice.  They have also just released a version called the EZ.  It has lighter springs for folks who have a hard time with a slide.  It's currently a 380 which is good for ammo since you already have one but the 9 is coming soon. 

Might want to consider the M&P compact 9.  I would feel a little better with more rounds myself and the compact holds 12 I think and yet not as big as your Sigma. 

I would also be remiss as a CZ fanboy if I didn't mention the P10C.  15 rounds of striker-fired CZ goodness and just a smidge smaller than a G19.

Regardless, shoot as many as you can and see what feels good to you.  Figure out if and where you'll carry a second magazine and please pat yourself on the back for taking on this responsibility for your friends and neighbors.   888high58888

Offline RoosGirl

Better to base your decision on what you like best of the pistols you get to try out.  My first concealed carry gun was a S&W featherweight .38 snubnose revolver.  Later when I wanted to get a 9mm I had planned on buying a S&W, but was able to rent one at the range and discovered that I hated it.  It felt comfortable in my hand, until I fired it, and then it jumped around all over the place and did not feel stable at all.  The Glock was a dream though, including firing single-handed.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

M&P Shield all day and twice on Sunday’s (see what i did there?   8888forgot)

Misspelled Sundays?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
I like a little Ruger LCP 380 but some days my hands are not the best (I don't carry with one in chamber) so I resort to a revolver 38 Special on those days.

Agree with Roo, find something YOU are comfortable with and stick with it. You know your limitations and strengths.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
If you're wanting a concealable 9mm, my suggestion would be the SIG P938. My son owns one and I was amazed how accurate and controllable it is.

Myself, I carry 380 and 32 pistols. I'm skinny and I AIWB carry. I have a CZ70, CZ83, and a Kel tek p32. I do have a 9mm CZ75, but I haven't carried it yet.

Offline Axeslinger

Misspelled Sundays?

Lol!  I see what YOU did there! 
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

Thanks, all.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@mountaineer

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p365/

Polymer striker fired 9mm that's the same size as a Glock 43 or an M&P shield but with 10+1 or 12+1 capacity.  Comes standard with night sights.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline NavyCanDo

For personal defense the Shield or the new XDs mod2 are great choices and I have both, but for security at a church where there are likely innocent bystanders I would want the biggest Duty pistol you can comfortably conceal cary. M&P M2.0 would be my choice.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline montanajoe

Glock 22 semi...

Online mountaineer

Church Security Seminar: You Need Faith and a Firearm

22 May 2018

A church security seminar sponsored by the California Rifle and Pistol Association stressed faith and firearms together as integral to keeping congregants safe on Sundays.

The seminar was held in Huntington Beach.

The Los Angeles Times reports the seminar was conducted by Jimmy Meeks, a “pastor and retired Texas police officer.” He urged those security team members to keep their heads up during prayer, to be surveilling the congregation, watching for signs of trouble.

Meeks prayed, “Wherever we are, Father, should the wolf cross our path, give us the wisdom to know what to do with that moment, and give us the power and the courage to act to stop the wolf and protect our sons and daughters.”

The California Rifle and Pistol Association hoped the seminar communicated a clear message — “Faith alone will not protect you in a house of God.” There needs to be preparedness, there must be a plan.  ...

And Meeks stressed that part of the plan should include firearms. He said, “If you do not have an armed presence in your church, you are simply not ready.”  ...  Full story at Breitbart

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Years ago my sister invited me to a church seminar on firearm safety. She wanted me to bring a good assortment of handguns. Now this was years before concealed carry was implemented in TX. I remember a policeman saying that if you felt a need for a firearm for your safety. To go from your car to your front door, or to the nite drop at the bank,for examples. You should have the weapon in your hand. Not hidden down in your purse, or pocket.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Years ago my sister invited me to a church seminar on firearm safety. She wanted me to bring a good assortment of handguns. Now this was years before concealed carry was implemented in TX. I remember a policeman saying that if you felt a need for a firearm for your safety. To go from your car to your front door, or to the nite drop at the bank,for examples. You should have the weapon in your hand. Not hidden down in your purse, or pocket.

Wouldn't that be considered "brandishing?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Is carrying a pistol in your hand any different that carrying a rifle or shotgun?

If you are not waving or pointing your weapon in a threatening manner is it brandishing?

Offline thackney

Is carrying a pistol in your hand any different that carrying a rifle or shotgun?

If you are not waving or pointing your weapon in a threatening manner is it brandishing?

For Texas:

PC §46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER.
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a handgun
on or about the license holder’s person under the authority of Subchapter H,
Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally displays the handgun in plain
view of another person in a public place. It is an exception to the application of
this subsection that the handgun was partially or wholly visible but was carried in
a shoulder or belt holster by the license holder.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/LTC-16.pdf
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Now this seminar occurred before the Texas Conceal Carry Laws were written.

It appears that it does not apply if you do not have a Concealed Carry Permit.

You can legally go to and from your vehicle with a handgun without a permit.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
In Florida you cannot have the firearm 'readily accessible' in your car unless you have a concealed carry permit.   Which means youhave to have it in a case or the glovebox.  On your person is considered readily accessible.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas has no laws regarding the carrying of long guns (rifles or shotguns) in motor vehicles.

Texas generally prohibits intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carrying a handgun in plain view in a motor vehicle or watercraft, except by handgun license holders carrying the handgun in a shoulder or belt holster.

My truck gun was a shotgun for many years.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:07:56 pm by Elderberry »

Online Lando Lincoln

It is such a personal thing.  Experienced shooters will always gravitate to the piece that gives them the most confidence.  For shooting a small frame, I opt for the Ruger LC9s over the Shield, but that is just me.  Teardown and cleaning is another matter.

I will tell you, the more I shoot the Sig Sauer line, the more impressed I am.  My wife shoots the P238 and it is an incredible little weapon.  I have rented the P938 and P365.  Almost perfection. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It is such a personal thing.  Experienced shooters will always gravitate to the piece that gives them the most confidence.  For shooting a small frame, I opt for the Ruger LC9s over the Shield, but that is just me.  Teardown and cleaning is another matter.

I will tell you, the more I shoot the Sig Sauer line, the more impressed I am.  My wife shoots the P238 and it is an incredible little weapon.  I have rented the P938 and P365.  Almost perfection.

I almost replaced my faithful XDs with a Sig 365 but decided against it in the end.

I REALLY like the 365 though.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
My son has a P938. I really like everything about that weapon.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
My son has a P938. I really like everything about that weapon.

So does my son and I like it as well.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien